R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

I would go with the SBV2 because its durable and a good bargain for what you get. Now if you want the cheapest out of the box I would consider the DB01 Durga.

Your best bet would be to buy two V2s one for you and one for her or buy yourself a 501x and her a DB01 Durga. IMHO You deserve a new car too.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I would say the b44. It was built in regards to the jconcepts design and there is plenty of carbon fiber, which is strong. Associated is a great design and there cars last. I have an orgional rc10t that I use regularly and have since I bought it new in 1993.

The orgional shocks have been rebuilt for at cost of $4.00. I upgraded to rpm a-arms because the stock ones became brittle after 14 years, The rear diff was rebuilt once, recently, and the shock towers, chassis, and rims are still all orgional.

I have a T4 that gets abused, once a week, that has a brushless 6.5 motor in it and lipo batteries. The only thing I broke on a regular basis was the front a arms, but I fixed that with the GT2 arms from RPM.

When I built the b44 the shocks and diffs were extreamly similar to the orgional RC 10T and the T4. To me that means it is a proven design that has worked well for over 15 years.

If you feel the arms are brittle, see about buying them from RPM or just keep a couple of extra on hand. I have not broken one yet on the b44.

Last edited by OG RC 10T; 11-28-2007 at 09:00 AM.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #18
Tech Elite

My only issue with the Laxer zx5 is the difficulty in assembly. I built one a couple of months ago, and ended up being fustrated after the build. I sold it shortly there after.

There is nothing wrong with the lazer at all, its a great buggy. My only complaint is how hard it was to build.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

By biggest problem with the ZX5 is that when you run on very high grip surfaces like astroturf or carpet, the drivetrain can't cope.
I ended up using TC3 gears.

Also the shocks keep leaking untill you install the RB5 shock ends (3 O-rings).
You also have to buy the alu suspension brace and alu shocktower supports to make the car somewhat reliable.

By then it costs more then a BJ4 or TRF501 and still isn't at the same performance levell.

Kyosho needs to bring out a production version of its worlds prototype.
stefke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
My only issue with the Laxer zx5 is the difficulty in assembly. I built one a couple of months ago, and ended up being fustrated after the build. I sold it shortly there after.

There is nothing wrong with the lazer at all, its a great buggy. My only complaint is how hard it was to build.
I didn't find building it anymore difficult than any other kit I had built before.

What did you have problems with?
SQC049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
I didn't find building it anymore difficult than any other kit I had built before.

What did you have problems with?

The instructions were not very clear, that would be my biggest complaint. The front and rear diffs took a while and the philip head screws were more difficult to use than the hex head type screws. As for the rest of the buggy?

It could have been that I was not use to a different design / brand. To me the associated parts went together very easily and the Kyosho was a little more difficult. I usually time myself when building trucks or buggies just to see how long it takes.

The lazer took me 20 hours start to finish while the b44 only took me 12. I believe that the extra time building the lazer had to do with the more difficult instructions, the more complicated front and rear diff and or gearboxes, and the fatigue, and extra carefulness, from being extra careful using the screw driver versus the hex drivers.

Just my experiance. Others may feel differently.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #22
Tech Elite

I can see where you are coming from. I didn't think it was very difficult, but I used hex head screws from the beginning.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Very smart idea. I didnt know they were available untill after I built the buggy. If I knew about the hex kit in advance it would have made the build much easier.

The laser is a great 4wd and the guy to beat at our track has 3 of them, though he is also an incredible driver.

One thing that I do perfer about the lazer is that it uses stick packs, and not saddle packs. I had to buy 2 new batteries for the b44, but that was not big deal, but if I didnt have to buy them the overall cost of the zx5 is much less.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The SBv2 took me around 4 hours from start to finish to build the roller.

12 hours to do a B44? Does that include paianting?

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Looks like I might give the SBV2 a go. Not realy keen on having to restock with new batteries, with 5 electrics running 5 races each per race day, I've got a good supply of stick packs.
As per the comment, "how much have you to spend?", it doesnt matter, I would prefer to spend more money correctly than waste money twice.
Now, over here in Australia, there is no supplier of the Acadamy brand, who is the best for international orders.
Also, is there a "pro" spec and standard and if so, which would be more durable? I know that while graphite is stronger, it is also more brittle. (plastic is more forgiving).
Scruff_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Thought you might be interested......
Need your wisdom, 4wd 1/10 buggy-electric-savage-2.jpg Need your wisdom, 4wd 1/10 buggy-electric-savage-4.jpg Need your wisdom, 4wd 1/10 buggy-electric-savage-3.jpg
Scruff_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 AM   #27
Tech Elite

I don't mind the Kyosho instructions...I'm very used to Tamiya, so they look normal to me...LOL

The biggest problem is their bag "system". Basically, just dump all the bags out all at once into one big pile. That's what you'll have to do anyways, so you might as well get it over with. The newer Losi and AE kits are very well organized, so there's less hunting. The TC5 I just did was really easy...almost overkill...lots of tiny bags. Very organized though.

Other than the fact that all the bags were mis-matched with the instructions, it built just fine...really straight-forward. It's the "looking for the parts" deal that takes the time.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I don't mind the Kyosho instructions...I'm very used to Tamiya, so they look normal to me...LOL

The biggest problem is their bag "system". Basically, just dump all the bags out all at once into one big pile. That's what you'll have to do anyways, so you might as well get it over with. The newer Losi and AE kits are very well organized, so there's less hunting. The TC5 I just did was really easy...almost overkill...lots of tiny bags. Very organized though.

Other than the fact that all the bags were mis-matched with the instructions, it built just fine...really straight-forward. It's the "looking for the parts" deal that takes the time.
The RB5 is bagged the way you would expect it to be. I'm hoping Kyosho updates the bagging with the release of the SP. That was my only compliant when building this kit.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
The SBv2 took me around 4 hours from start to finish to build the roller.

12 hours to do a B44? Does that include paianting?
No just a couple of beers and me taking my time. I am sure if I were gun ho and were jacked up on coffee or something it would have been faster.

I just like taking my time to enjoy the modeling part of the RC hobby. But the reason I posted the 20 hour time and 12 hour time was because I was at the same pace working on both cars, and just wanted to give some example to the difference in time in regards to the build between the two.

Weather it was 5 to 10 hours or 12 to 20 hours, I was just saying that the Lazer took me almost twice as long to build as the b44 and I felt that it was a more difficult buggy to build.

After reading the other posts above, I too thought the bagging system on the lazer was thrown together, where as the AE was very organized and detailed. That is something that I didnt think about before, but it makes sence. I did do a lot of "searching" for parts with the Kyosho where as the b44 parts were "just right there" in the perfectly marked little bag.

This may be the reason the kyosho box is so tiny. No tires, and not many little bags. Ha Ha
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #30
Tech Elite

double post