R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #61
Tech Elite
 
OG RC 10T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,658
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

I called max amps today. They are discontinuing there current 4400 and 5500 saddle pack batteries, and are replacing them with a updated cells. The new cells are larger, and because or the individual cell size they use less of them to make a same mah pack, they are less expensive as well. I was told almost half the price and they will be available the middle of december.

Thats all the info I know. But I pre-ordered 2 of the new size 4500mah, and should find out in a couple of weeks.
__________________
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #62
Tech Fanatic
 
Drew Manzella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Christiansburg VA
Posts: 976
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobo_ph View Post
Uhm, maybe you didn't get the point of my question...
I get your point 100%. In fact - I got it BEFORE you made the picture even.

You are missing MY point however - and that being that I ALREADY OWN 2 lipo stick packs. The fact that you can use lipo saddle packs as stick packs is completely irrelevant since I ALREADY OWN the stick packs and my objection is to buying MORE batteries.

Drew Manzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #63
Tech Addict
 
jobo_ph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Banos, Laguna, PH
Posts: 698
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jobo_ph Send a message via Skype™ to jobo_ph
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Manzella View Post
I get your point 100%. In fact - I got it BEFORE you made the picture even.

You are missing MY point however - and that being that I ALREADY OWN 2 lipo stick packs. The fact that you can use lipo saddle packs as stick packs is completely irrelevant since I ALREADY OWN the stick packs and my objection is to buying MORE batteries.

I also understood you have stick packs already and it's your main beef against getting a B44. I just thought that it's possible for you to let go of your existing stick packs and buy saddle packs and use them as stick packs... then you wont have any problem if you get a B44
__________________
Hibernating...
Team Associated B4 * T4 * B44
Novak BL * Futaba TX/RX/Servos * Hyperion/Megapower Chargers
Orion/Yuntong/Maxamps Lipo * AMB #6655738
jobo_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #64
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mt. Holly, NC
Posts: 1,181
Default

You guys can't figure out lighter li-pos will help the handling of the B44 by putting stick on lead weights right under the driveline between the 2 battery trays that is the by far better than having to the weight to the outside of the buggy. That is if you want to add the weight to make up for the li-po being lighter than the nickel pack.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #65
Tech Champion
 
Tony Newland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,793
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Craps - Team Academy didnt go to this years worlds....so there were no SBV2's at the race, The problem with the lipo saddle packs is they are made up
of 8 x 1100mah cells...the cells die very often, several here have lost cells in just a few months, remember putting 6 cell packs on a tray discharger?
The center cells always had more charge left in them at the end of a run? its the same way with the lipos but worse, now your dealing with 8 cells....
plus maxamps basically has no warrantee, one guy has one thats about a month old and they wont help him with a discount or anything on another pack..nice

Drew Manzilla - I have been racing the protek packs for the last few weeks and they run the same as the high dollar orions I was running, plus they stand behind them.... here's a link, they're WELL under $100 bones
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16867

The XX4 molds are done, what parts are out thee is all there will be...stock up

I bet my brushless motor collection that the setups you guys are reading online from pros are with Nimh cells, they dont run lipos, which are almost double the weight of a orion 3200 lipo.... how can that NOT affect setup? its about a 4oz difference, and even with a Nimh pack factory guys are adding between 1-2oz on top of that....go figure
__________________
Schumacher Factory Team - Core RC - Tekin - Avid - Lunsford - Bellgate Distributors - Jconcepts - www.Prime-hobby.com - IRCR
Tony Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #66
TLRacing
 
Frank Root's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Corona, CA, USA
Posts: 5,438
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

My .02:

I have run:

XXX-4 G+
XX-4 WE
X-5
X-5^2
BJ4
BJ4 WE

IMO, the BJ4 WE was definately the best of the bunch, by a bit. The XX-4 WE and X-5 both are great on the track, but are not the most durable. The XX-4 We has already be discontinued again, and won't be back from what I have heard. On most tracks, I preferred the BJ4 WE, and it was easily the easiest to work on and most reliable.

With that said, I just built my B44, which I will run the first time this weekend at Trackside. It was the easiest car I have ever built, and the fit and finish was impecable for the most part. If the car drives half as good as it went together... it will be amazing.
__________________
Frank Root -- TLR Project Manager
Twitter - @FrankRoot FB - facebook.com/FrankRootTLR
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #67
Tech Elite
 
tschenck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
I called max amps today. They are discontinuing there current 4400 and 5500 saddle pack batteries, and are replacing them with a updated cells. The new cells are larger, and because or the individual cell size they use less of them to make a same mah pack, they are less expensive as well. I was told almost half the price and they will be available the middle of december.

Thats all the info I know. But I pre-ordered 2 of the new size 4500mah, and should find out in a couple of weeks.
thats interesting. when I called them on the 20th about sending out my order I asked about the newer saddle packs and was told they were still being tested and wouldn't be available for over a month. I also asked if they were going to continue making the 5500mah packs since I just ordered one and was told they would continue making them.
tschenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #68
Tech Rookie
 
cparks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Default

Lighter isn't always better. For you guys who want to try a B44 but run stick packs, I'm sure there is a pretty easy way to convert the car. Maybe drill a new hole for a battery strap post, and use the TC5 battery strap. Just my thaughts if you are at all interested in a B44. For me there is no option, my hobby shops don't stock anything but ae and losi
cparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #69
Tech Fanatic
 
kenshu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 922
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Is that you Chad?
kenshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #70
Tech Elite
 
WheelNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Edmonton, Ab
Posts: 3,210
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut
Default

Worst thread evar. Some of the most biased posting I have ever seen on this board.
__________________
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #71
Tech Rookie
 
cparks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16
Default

whats up Ken
cparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #72
Tech Regular
 
jasburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GR MI
Posts: 400
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshu View Post
It sounds like you guys with the locking steering and bump steer is,,,,, YOU HAVE THE CASTER BLOCKS ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you do. I know the manual sucks. But look close at the pictures and you'll find I'm right. My B44 went together so easy and no problems. But you have to be able to read pictures. Let me know what you find.
Mine is put together correct. When suspesion is at full travel and steering is at full lock it does hit the arm,just alittle though.Witch is actually common with 4wd. I do not know about chewies though.

Look at yours closer or add all your steering and u will see it.
jasburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic
 
Drew Manzella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Christiansburg VA
Posts: 976
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
remember putting 6 cell packs on a tray discharger? The center cells always had more charge left in them at the end of a run? its the same way with the lipos but worse, now your dealing with 8 cells....
That is my "other" objection to running saddle packs. I didn't mention it before since, well you can see how the easier argument went over. I have never run lipo saddles but I did run saddles for YEARS in 12th scale and, as you said, they never discharged evenly. I don't for a second believe that lipo technology has something to combat this phenomenon. It is a function of the jumper wire being of a different impedence than the battery connectors at the cells.

I ran saddles in 12th scale because I didn't like the cars that ran stick packs for one reason or another but since I don't have anything that runs saddles anymore I'd really rather stay away from them altogether. Add in the fact that I am already invested in sticks and it is a no-brainer.

I still think the BJ4 is the best bet for me and the B44 guys shouldn't get their feelings hurt since it is basically the same car as the BJ4WE.

Now if one of you B44 guys would be so kind as to give me some chassis measurements I'll look into some other thoughts I had. PM me if you are willing to help me out.
Drew Manzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #74
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: north-west Indiana
Posts: 749
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
That is my "other" objection to running saddle packs. I didn't mention it before since, well you can see how the easier argument went over. I have never run lipo saddles but I did run saddles for YEARS in 12th scale and, as you said, they never discharged evenly. I don't for a second believe that lipo technology has something to combat this phenomenon. It is a function of the jumper wire being of a different impedence than the battery connectors at the cells.
Wow, someone making a good point. However with lipo, so long as the saddle pack is series, you can balance charge them when finished and all is well. The number of cells in parallel doesn't matter, well except for the mah and discharge rating, as the cells in parallel balance themselves. But as pointed out the impedance of the jumper wire will make the cells in series discharge unevenly. This means that you would need a pack higher in mah than what you would think, and if you use a cutoff you need to set it higher, as one of the packs will drop voltage quicker.

I would like to know how the car handles on a blown out track. I just sold my original Bj4 and was going to buy either the b44 or BJ4we. I would also like some honest answers to how it handles with the lipo, not just biased opinions. I would prefer to run lipo, but if it really doesn't handle as well, I will purchase nimh cells.
trilerian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 AM   #75
Tech Addict
 
magm20001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

i dont use Lipo but in the centre of the chassis there is easy place you can put lead weights.

prob would handle better than nimhs, as the weight will be more on the centre, whereas nimhs are more on the side.
__________________
RIP Kanye West ..... Mom
magm20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:20 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net