Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9.5 Pro Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Default 9.5 Pro Setup

Hi, I'm buying an Ofna 9.5 Pro buggy, I race on what is quite possibley the biggest, nicest track in Canada, its 225' x 200', over a 1/4 mile long, with a very technical infield and sweeping, long straights on all three sides of the tri-oval, Edmonton Alberta's track, check it out at www.rcracersedmonton.com. It has a rock hard clay surface that is very quickly blue grooving (after only two races it is quite visible). The guy who dominates this class has a K2, an array of CMB, Nova Rossi, and some other crazy engines, Fioroni clutches, and torsen diffs on all corners.

I plan on getting an OS RZ-V01B engine. I have no idea what to run for a setup, or what must have hop-ups I need.

I know that practice makes perfect, but this guy has far more than me. I run in Novice, and I TQ'd and won my first race but only because I was the only novice running, I actually crashed out of the main. I am currently running an Ofna Ultra GT with P4 Force engine.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am a V01B user and praiser no end, but for a longer track, I sugges you go with something that will run faster on topend, otherwise you will fall behind very fast on the long sections.

If money is no issue, a WS7-II might be a good choice... or ask around the track to see what others are using. If it's even longer than that, then gearing up the S7-2 would work, or otherwise a properly clutched C5 would send you flying (if you ever go with a C5, once its clutched properly, you probably won't need more than 1/4-1/2 throttle most of the track.... lol)

The 9.5 Pro is a fairly decent buggy, im sure you will like it. For setup advice, i'll leave that to someone who drives it. If anyone at your track runs it, i'd ask them as well.

If no one else uses it.... and you haven't already bought your kit... i'd suggest you use something more common, something that the majority of the racers there use. Why? because chances are, thats what works best, and you can always get the best setup advice from them which leaves you nothing to worry about other than driving your best. If there are a few 9.5 guys there, then its all good. Talk to them often, share your ideas with them and im sure they'd do the same for you.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

I think I'v figured out whats what at my track, just about everyone uses the V01B motor, so theres no lack of tuning help there, and all those fancy hop-ups (like the torsen diffs) just happen to suit his (the dominators) driving style. I am going to use just one torsen in the center, and then all the rest will come down to me, the driver.
On an even more positive note, I almost won my first race. I have an OFNA Ultra GT with P4 motor, thats only 1.7 hp, but I tried to be nice and smooth and stay out of trouble, sure enough Ilead from the drop of the green flag to one minute to go when my servo gears stripped. I'll never cheap out on plastic gears again. But I had lots of fun, and I stumbled upon a setup thats almost just right.