R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Is 4wd mod?

I am looking at getting started in off road, I really want to run 4wd (only thing I would run for the winter season, and then back to on road when theres not rain)

But how easy is it to run 4wd MOD??? they only run 4wd mod, and 2wd wasnt my cup of tea lol...

I would buy a B44, and then it would be BL and all that if it makes a diff.....
Old 11-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jeff K.

4wd is easy to drive, and easy to drive fast. I run stock 2wd, and dropped a 12t in my XX-4 and found it easier to drive. Hopefully stock up on some parts though before you start driving because first few hours driving I broke quite a bit. Another good idea is that you can drive with a 19t spec motor around the track, get good, and consistent, and then drop the bl.

Watch out though, you might get bit by the offroad bug.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by StOnEfAn527 View Post
4wd is easy to drive, and easy to drive fast. I run stock 2wd, and dropped a 12t in my XX-4 and found it easier to drive. Hopefully stock up on some parts though before you start driving because first few hours driving I broke quite a bit. Another good idea is that you can drive with a 19t spec motor around the track, get good, and consistent, and then drop the bl.

Watch out though, you might get bit by the offroad bug.
I have a orion 10.5 I could use for that, that makes perfect sense, and then drop in the real fun

Yeah, its possible, but I really got bit in on road BAD lol

thanks man
Old 11-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up

4wd is alot of fun to drive!!!! but there is alot more to maintaining them though. I run the bj4 with a lrp and a 6.5, and it has the right mix of power and punch, I also run the same setup in my b4 even though some guys at my local track only run the 7.5. Before i got my 6.5 i was running a 10.5 in my other 4wd and did just fine for club racing
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperguy View Post
4wd is alot of fun to drive!!!! but there is alot more to maintaining them though. I run the bj4 with a lrp and a 6.5, and it has the right mix of power and punch, I also run the same setup in my b4 even though some guys at my local track only run the 7.5. Before i got my 6.5 i was running a 10.5 in my other 4wd and did just fine for club racing
maintaining? Meaning diffs and all the normal stuff right?

IDK which motor they run at the track, but I think its a 6.5 or 7.5..... Like I said, they run nothing but MOD, so I might as well get a mod motor, instead of buying another 10.5 that I could just rob from my TC for the learning

What else do I need to know? Have any good info links on the car set up or anything? Im not sure, in a TC everything has to be perfect to make it run right, is off road the same way?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

meh a b44 requires no diff maintenance at all, maybe once in every 10 race meets. just clean, make sure screws are tight, and re-oil shocks evey now and then

yes 4wd is "easy", but it dont mean your going to be fast though.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Tech Master

dependind on which car you go with, check out high desert rc (all 1 word) and click on tech for setups for the t4, b4, and bj4. this is my local track.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Tech Master

if you do decide to get the b44 we just got done putting 1 together and went together like NO OTHER kit (awesome)
Old 11-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My XXX-4 has a Novak 5.5 brushless system in it. In all honesty - that is a bit too much power with a LiPo but it is still driveable if you exercise restraint.

Of course I wouldn't recommend mod to anybody just starting out (Which I don't think you are).
Drew Manzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by magm20001 View Post
meh a b44 requires no diff maintenance at all, maybe once in every 10 race meets. just clean, make sure screws are tight, and re-oil shocks evey now and then

yes 4wd is "easy", but it dont mean your going to be fast though.
Yeah, normal work, thats not bad

I was just asking if it was really hard, and its a hand full, or not too bad, it doesnt sound too bad, but getting consistent sure is

Quote:
dependind on which car you go with, check out high desert rc (all 1 word) and click on tech for setups for the t4, b4, and bj4. this is my local track.
Cool, thanks man!

Quote:
if you do decide to get the b44 we just got done putting 1 together and went together like NO OTHER kit (awesome)
Nice! I love kits like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Manzella View Post
My XXX-4 has a Novak 5.5 brushless system in it. In all honesty - that is a bit too much power with a LiPo but it is still driveable if you exercise restraint.

Of course I wouldn't recommend mod to anybody just starting out (Which I don't think you are).
5.5 Im almost positive is too much motor for my track, and if it was, I would run the next one in the line, I dont want heat issues...... I am starting out you could say, I only race on road, so off road is new to me, but at the same time no, because I have had lots of bash trucks, but racing is nothing like bashing

Thanks guys!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #11
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

you shouldn't have too much issues. Don't be scared to start with a slower motor, especially if its on you already have from your onroad vehicle.

The main thing I noticed when changing from onroad to offroad was that you need to get accustomed to an uneven surface a lot more than touring. IN touring, I found that once I had the tire setup right, it was pretty much the same traction all around the track. In offroad, various sections can be different. Jumps also add another element to things as well.

Offroad is a blast in my opinion, more a challenge but at the same relaxing too. Touring to me just got too intense where it wasn't fun anymore.

If you do running touring, you shouldn't have that much maintenance issues since you are used to more moving parts in the drivetrain.

compared to 2wd mod, 4wd is a lot easier since you got all 4 wheels pulling and it doesn't want to kick the rear out as much if you are gunning it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
you shouldn't have too much issues. Don't be scared to start with a slower motor, especially if its on you already have from your onroad vehicle.

The main thing I noticed when changing from onroad to offroad was that you need to get accustomed to an uneven surface a lot more than touring. IN touring, I found that once I had the tire setup right, it was pretty much the same traction all around the track. In offroad, various sections can be different. Jumps also add another element to things as well.

Offroad is a blast in my opinion, more a challenge but at the same relaxing too. Touring to me just got too intense where it wasn't fun anymore.

If you do running touring, you shouldn't have that much maintenance issues since you are used to more moving parts in the drivetrain.

compared to 2wd mod, 4wd is a lot easier since you got all 4 wheels pulling and it doesn't want to kick the rear out as much if you are gunning it.

Yeah, some people say off road is harder, and others dont...... So I guess where you race is a big factor.... But I dont plan on getting too sucked into off road, on road is a BLAST, and I want to get good in on road, but driving 1.5 hours to the in door carpet track sounds crappy, when the off road track is about 20 mins away, and my out door on road track is 7 mins away

So im going this week to the off road track to check it all out, maybe go on race day and see, only thing I dont like so far is the fact lipos arent legal at that track
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

If you race 2wd, and are good. Then you'll be REALLY good at sedan.

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

i earned alot of my driving skills from running 1/12 . and plopping in a mod every now and then.. i eventually got down to running a orion core mod 6x2 in my carpetknife on a indoor carpet track.. my reaction time was really good..
the main thing with offroad is you need to learn when to hit the throttle and when not too..
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes they are easier to drive and parts breaks faster cause ur going faster. They are fun to drive though.