R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Been out of hobby for awhile, need help

Ok so I have been out of the hobby for about 2 years now and have forgotten a few things. I never really got into racing but I am going to this year so I need some help. What are the pros running now for esc and motor combos?? Has anyone gone brushless or is it even race legal, or do the guys still stick to the modified brushed motors? I have some more Q's but I stick with this 1 first.
C_Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Welcome back.

I would say that for modified racing, when allowed, brushless is the way to go and is how things are going. Not messing with brushes or comm lathes is a god send.

For choices, you have a large variety, with the race units being the LRP Sphere setup and the Novak GTB setups. If you track has no issues with it, you can also run the Mamba Max systems. I know people who like each type for a variety of reasons and not like each one for a variety of reasons. You will need to research this and see which you like to go with. A who knows, Tekin may have a unit out when you are ready to buy too.

As for batteries, if allowed, lipos are whats really coming on right now. No more battery voodoo, just have a proper charger and charge at the 1C rate and you are all set. Power appears to be pretty consistent throught the discharge cycle, and you can store the packs with a charge and they perform pretty much the same all the time. Alot of guys I know who are doing lipo and brushless usually just have 1 pack.

A big thing some people are also doing is using the larger capacity lipos (6000mah and above) to do 20 minute mains (stadium trucks) with the gas guys and bring electrics back from the dead in there areas. There are also LiMN and that A123 style packs to consider that have safer chemistryt than standard lipos. I think however the default right now is the kokam based packs from Orion with there hard cases. But others are making good packs too. Maxamps are pretty popular too.

If you are wondering whats hot in electric right now, seems like 4wd electric buggy is making a big comeback. Lots of different vehicles out there. 2wd buggy has some nice new entries too from Kyosho and Academy.

Best bet, if you are to race, visit your local track, go with the class that is the largest or at least interests you enough so you don't care if the numbers are lower.

Another area that is heating up is 1/8 scale Electric buggy conversions. I got one myself, and its a blast. No more screwing around with nitro engines, and get all the benefits of the size and power.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Tech Master

Ok well right now I have a rc10 t4 thats just got a stock motor and I will probly race that for awhile till I feel better about going faster. Whats like billy easton and the tops pros using though, do they use brushless most of the time or will only certain races allow it? I live in oregon now and am moving to arizona here in a few months and thats where i will be doing most of my racing, so what do you think Az track rules state on brushless?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Money View Post
Ok well right now I have a rc10 t4 thats just got a stock motor and I will probly race that for awhile till I feel better about going faster. Whats like billy easton and the tops pros using though, do they use brushless most of the time or will only certain races allow it? I live in oregon now and am moving to arizona here in a few months and thats where i will be doing most of my racing, so what do you think Az track rules state on brushless?
Where in AZ are you moving to? If Phoenix, then I can give you an idea on how things are here. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by encore75; 11-16-2007 at 12:00 PM.
encore75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Tech Legend

if where you are going has a stock class that also lets you run a brushless "stock" motor, go with that brushless setup. Much less headache and work. Spend more time driving.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Get a sphere you can run brushed and brushless motors with it. Dont make the same mistake i did.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I run at the track but I dont race. I have a T4 and have upgraded every thing to the point of If I would have just bought the upgraded stuff off the bat, It would have saved me a ton of extra cash. Presently I am running a 4900 lipo, GTB with the 6.5 brushless motor and the Futaba Fasst radio.

Its more expensive this way but, if you do it once thats it. If you go brushed, regular esc, nimh batteries, and an FM radio, then decide to upgrade later, you will be throwing away your money like I did.

This route may not be best for everyone but its - just my .o2
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

what are people talking about when they say lipos are dangerous??
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

When li-po first came out people were charging them with their ni-mh chargers and they would blow up (literally). Also you could short them and they would blow up.

But now adays they're pretty safe, although you still have to remember not to throw them like a football or charge them with a non-lipo charger.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Tech Master

So what are the big name guys using then latley, like what turn of brushless and what not. Also whats the hot setup near you guys??
Old 11-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I believe the pros are using a mixture of brushed and brushless depending on their sponsor. They recently had a brushless/lipo demo at one of the big races and it was mentioned that roar may make this a class in short time.

I run the sphere comp with a 7.5 vector motor. I have also run the gtb with a 6.5. I think the 7.5 is a little easier to control in 2wd imo.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but here is the corresponding br/bl motor chart;

13.5 = stock motor
10.5 = 19 turn
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Tech Legend

I think the top of the line ESCs from Novak and LRP both will let you run brushed and brushless, with novaks being alittle more combersome I think to do the connections to a brushed motor. If you do a Mamba unit, they can also do brushed motors too pretty simple as well.

As for lipo issue, it goes to proper charging and discharging the packs. From what I have read as I was very skeptical before jumping in, a lot of the issue deals with either bad charging practices or a charger going bad, or reusing a damaged pack. In general, storage wasn't any issue. If you get a good lipo charger and use a inline balancer, that should give you all the security you need. Also, pickup a liposack or battery bunker. I currently use the liposack, and based on the video I have seen it will mitigate a fire issue if it occurs, and they will replace the damaged sack for free. a simple $30 safety device. Think of it as the cost of a cheaper discharge board that you would have needed with a NIMH pack.

All in all, I would say the technology when properly used is about as safe as NIMHs or even safer if you take into account the rash of problems with the latest NIMHs. For even extra security, the A123 packs look like the way to go, or even the LiMN packs from apogee are even safer than traditional lipo.

Out by me when running outdoors, I liked the feel of the 5700 motor that my MM came with. was plenty of power and could be geared to suit the track. Good all around setup. I think for novaks a popular 2wd setup is either the 7.5 or 6.5 . 5.5 I have heard is usually too much for people, unless doing 4wd.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
Tech Master

Ok so how do you go about discharging a lipo?? I mean the orions are in a case and thats probly what i would get but I dont see how you can discharge them?? And what discharge tray do you guys think is best??
Old 11-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

You don't discharge li-po's, if you do it will ruin the pack. So After you run it you can keep like it is or charge it back up.

When you charge them be sure to use a li-po charger and I highly recommend a balancer. So you could get a Duratrax ICE charger (excellent charger for the price) and a nice balancer for $40 and be set. So there's pro's and con's to li-po's. The con is if you don't know what your doing that's baddddd but if you do know what you're doing then it's much easier than ni-cad or ni-mh batteries to maintain. Just charge with balancer and have the esc set to cut off after the battery goes below a certain voltage. Then take the battery out and it's ready to go for the next charge.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
Tech Legend

lipos in my opinion are easier to maintain. you don't need the battery voodoo for the NIMHs, and doing the right thing charge wise is fairly easy for a lipo. Plus, you can repeak after your run and use the packs multiple times. You don't need to warchest batteries.