R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745
Default new burshless systems?

what brushless system would you suggest for a tamiya DF-03. it can handle power, but not too much power. i was looking for a decent motor system. 6.5 or up probably. i was thinking possibly the new novak XBR wit han EX8.5, but have heard nothing about it. is it a good system or should i get something faster and better? mamba max 5700 maybe? either way it will be on a 2s lipo pack most likely. or 6 cell 4200IB pack. thanks
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default mamba max

I run a Mamba Max 4600 in 2wd and a 5700 in 4wd I like using the laptop to tune the speedos works awsome.
later Jeremy
Jeremy Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Tech Elite

yeah ive heard good things about it. but i like the feel of my LRP Sphere comp system. and dont know how the Mamba compares to it
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

why do all the bashers/mini racers come on here and talk about mamba, nothing against mamba, but last i knew their motors were not legal at roar races in 1/10th scale....

and mamba is notorious for cogging, which really hurts performance.

if your looking for a budget system get the novak xbr, but if your serious about your performance, look into the novak gtb and 6.5/7.5 combo that comes with the updated sintered rotor...of if your an lrp guy get the sphere, and an orion 7.5/6.5. these seem to be the two most popular combinations for RACING....

if your bashing, your better off going NITRO.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Tech Elite

see thats what ive heard. i do plan to race this soon. whenever i ge ta race worthy motor that wont rip the thing aoart. i really dont want to spend all the money on a top racing system though. i looked at the XBR. seems decnt. probly not fast, but still decent. how would it do compared to the gtb and a 8.5?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Spending a little extra coin right now to get the "good stuff" aka, Novak, Orion, LRP, will save you serious money in the long run. Not only will it perform better, but will last longer...

Go cheap... and sooner than later... you will end up getting what you should have in the first place....

Just My Opinion...
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Tech Master

Default don't bash

Actually Jake I do not bash I have been racing for 13 years just ran at a race this weekend with over 130 entries. I didn't have any cog problems at all they have made some good progress with their system and its real good. Yes the motors are not roar legal but you can use a roar legal if you needed to. I race a RB5 and a ZX5 and am very competative so I am not a basher or mini racer sorry about your confusion. I just like the system so I gave him my opinion.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

well if he wants to race with this system, or even move it over to another car that can handle the power for big races, i suggest LRP or Novak products....Novak and Orion for motors.

Jeremy Blair sorry about your confusion, it was not directed only towards you, but all the other mamba fan-boys (insert chad warden joke here) out there
Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthreat View Post
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Spending a little extra coin right now to get the "good stuff" aka, Novak, Orion, LRP, will save you serious money in the long run. Not only will it perform better, but will last longer...

Go cheap... and sooner than later... you will end up getting what you should have in the first place....

Just My Opinion...
I just bought the novak hv maxx 4.5... top of the line.
Ran 10 minutes and blew out the controller... I'm a long time electric guy (24 yrs), I was a little aggravated to say the least
tharris1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Tech Master

Default thanks

Jake thanks I agree that The LRP is a good system used to have one myself I just like the Mamba now.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
Tech Elite

i agree that you get what you pay for. BUT. novak is a well known company. sells great stuff. so even their "cheap(if you can consider $170 cheap)" stuff im sure is good. thats why i was looking at the XBR system. it seems to have decent power. i dont plan on competing hard with this buggy. just weekend races. nothing serious. i was previously a lrp/reedy guy. but i want something different so i might as well go for it right? if i have a sphere already for my tc, which would be the best motor to get for a 4wd buggy? that can be run on the sphere tc
Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
Tech Master

I would say the lrp 6.5 or the Orion 6.5 would be good.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mambas get mentioned... why?

Most Mamba owners really like them, believe it or not.

There are a lot of Mambas out there. Believe it or not... Castle became the #1 brushless car system company this year, from what I understand. (yes... that means they sold more than Novak)

Also... It's a unique product, is the most versatile, very powerful, very cool programming.

COGGING: Sorry... there is not a cogging problem. I have never ever seen my systems cog, and I have raced quite a bit with them in 1/10 truck and 4wd.

The only cogging issues are when it's used with a different brand motor, in a 1/8 vehicle that it was never designed for. It's not fair to bash it on that account... or I could complain that I can't pull a UHaul with my dirtbike.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Tech Elite

look we arent trying to get into an arguement about it. i know that the yare good systems. a lot of 2wd guys ru nthem at my track. but i would like to be able to sped $70 on a motor to use with my LRP rather than pay $215 for a whole new system.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer745 View Post
but i would like to be able to sped $70 on a motor to use with my LRP rather than pay $215 for a whole new system.
if you already have the lrp speedo, i would suggest just getting the orion 7.5 or 6.5, whatever suites your fancy. i dislike the fact that lrp motors don't come sintered yet unless you get the 4.5 (too much for offroad)

i do love my novak motors though i run a 7.5 in my 2wd buggy and a 6.5 in my 2wd truck.

SENSORED MOTORS FTW!

I will be put on a cross for my opinions in this thread...i have a feeling.