R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk racing View Post
I use the Radio Shack 15 amp power supply and 2 Orion Advantage chargers. Never had any issues, been running this set up for 2 years. Good price on the power supply also. In my opinion, getting a "name brand" supply is paying for the sticker on the box.
not really.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Works flawlessly and is quite affordable. http://www.valcoelectronics.com/Merc...ct_Code=PSV300
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Works flawlessly and is quite affordable. http://www.valcoelectronics.com/Merc...ct_Code=PSV300
iv seen a two guys use this where i race and they worked prity good but then they stopped using them and i asked why and they said,they stopped working.
that bugged me coz i wanted to get it.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
iv seen a two guys use this where i race and they worked prity good but then they stopped using them and i asked why and they said,they stopped working.
That's what I have. So far no problems.
FOXY923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just get the Radio Shack 23 amp PS for it is the same one as the CE for much less then CE charges. The Radio Shack and CE are both made by Samlex <sp anyhow. I have had this PS for quite awhile and have run three Pulsars and two Novak trays off of it with a distribution block with no issues. I just remove the cover and blow the dirt out of it and all is good.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just an update. I went down to a couple of local stores and bought some stuff.

I got a Team Checkpoint charger.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/14097

And for the time being I just got a Dynamite 12V/10A Regulated DC Power Supply.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5232

Now in the manual for the charger it says to take full advantage of all of the chargers capabilities to have a power supply that can supply 15A. The charger can charge at up to 10A so I am guessing they say 15A as a safe number. Right now the power supply is fine because I have only been charging at 6A but I eventually want to get a better power supply.

I was planning on getting the ICE but the store only had the checkpoint version. I just got it because they gave me store credit on the charger I was previously using before upgrading.

So here are my plans.

I want to be able to run the Team Checkpoint Charger and an ICE charger. Here are my questions.

1. On a power supply for every thing you plug in does the current go down? For example if you have a 30A power supply. If you run 2 things they each get 15A? 3 things they get 10A each?

2. The voltage should stay the same no matter how many things you plug in right? If you have 12v output and three things plugged in they should all get 12v voltage?

So if I want to run these 2 chargers. The checkpoint one says it needs 15A and the ICE says 15A is best but 12.5A is enough. So I am looking for a 30A power supply.

The Pyramid PSV300 looks great, but all the descriptions say 30A switching, 20A continuous. What exactly does that mean? Could it power 2 chargers at there full capacity of 15A each? I dont want the power supply to limit the chargers.

Any other good 30A power supplies?
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #22
Tech Champion

I dunno, I run 2 pulsars, my smart tray, and a fan. Plus my friends pulsar too sometimes as well. I think the 20a continous is a typo from the psv-200. It is a good power suppley for the money.

That dynamite one looks like a waste 10 amps cant do much.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
Works perfect for me, I dont drop throw or spill anything on mine. Maybe they were overloading or were rough with their PS.

Honestly though for the money i havent seen anything better.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Works perfect for me, I dont drop throw or spill anything on mine. Maybe they were overloading or were rough with their PS.

Honestly though for the money i havent seen anything better.
Would 2 checkpoints over load the one you use ?

http://www.valcoelectronics.com/Merc...ct_Code=PSV300
Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Doubt it but i cannot confirm cause i dont have 2 checkpoint chargers but i dont see why it would not. I have run 3 pulsars of it cahrging at 5-6 amps each.

I am selling both my pulsars soon and getting 2 checkpoints.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

I have a 40 dollar 9A power supply I picked up at my LHS almost 5 years ago I put a fan on it and have run two chargers at 6amps off it all the time. Never had a problem. I'm sure your 10A supply will work just fine for one charger and maybe even another. Some stuff is overrated and other are underated.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:23 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the replies. I am just going to go with this one. It is cheap and small and should be able to handle 2 chargers no problem.

http://www.valcoelectronics.com/Merc...ct_Code=PSV300
Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The total power required can be figured out in watts by multiplying each charger's current and output voltage. Add these uses up for the total power.

If you are chargeing 6 cells at 6 amps then for that charger it is 9 volts x 6 amps = 54 watts so you will need a minimum of a 120 watt ps to do 2 of them. If your ps is 12 volts x 10 amps then that is 120 watts. You should be just barely good to go.
gulio is offline   Reply With Quote