Thanks, Chas
chasot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasot View Post
what is sintered? I have no clue?
It's a powdered metal technique. It's basically a metal powder that's pressed together into a specific shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintering
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

in a brushless motor (older) they come with a rotor that is covered with a wrap that wears out and you lose power in a BIG way. the new motors come with sintered rotor that does not wear out, and actually creates a lil more power than the old rotors did
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Doodad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
It's not the coating that wears out, the magnets lose strength when they get too hot.
Or breaks loose from the output shaft. Unless your sitting behind bars, bonded is a dirty word.
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperguy View Post
in a brushless motor (older) they come with a rotor that is covered with a wrap that wears out and you lose power in a BIG way. the new motors come with sintered rotor that does not wear out, and actually creates a lil more power than the old rotors did
It's not the coating that wears out, the magnets lose strength when they get too hot.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Novak bonded rotors have been extremely reliable for me and others. The sintered rotor is meant to be a performance upgrade with the benefit of longer life. I haven't seen any decrease in performance with my bonded rotors and they are two years old. I have a sintered rotor to try but have not felt the need to change.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Doodad

The problems w/ the Novak bonded appears to have been addressed. On the other hand, a friend had his LRP rotor start to "unwind" after 2 runs. That stuff looks like baling twine. And what's up with all the posts out of order?
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

its a solid rotor and it is more torque then the bonded rotor. Also it allows u to gear up and will run cooler then the bonded rotor. I have had issues with bonded rotors in the past.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyKing View Post
its a solid rotor and it is more torque then the bonded rotor. Also it allows u to gear up and will run cooler then the bonded rotor. I have had issues with bonded rotors in the past.
The sintered rotor was a huge leap in technology added to sensored brushless systems that made them the choice for longer races due to running so much cooler. Don't even need the fan on the GTB anymore for those 20 minute races.

I would not recommend buying a brushless motor without a sintered rotor in it.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

thanks for all the info.

Chas
chasot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

While we are on this subject,i have a Q.I am looking at the LRP 13.5 Vector X11 BL.It does not say if it is a sintered rotor or not.They do offer a sintered rotor (option) for their X11 series though.The motor has an efficiency rating og 93%.Will the sintered rotor give me a higher efficiency along with the cooler running ??.
gurumods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 254 (100%+)

The LRP 13.5 does not come with a sintered rotor. You can buy the upgraded rotor and the ceramic bearings. If you plan on buying the sintered rotor for it you have to also purchase the bearings.

I have 2 13.5 LRP's right now. I installed the rotor and bearing kit in one of them just to try it out. I tried both of the motors in my B4. Here is what I found.

The sintered rotor has a lot more torque and you can gear it a little higher to get more speed and still come out with the same temp as the bonded rotor geared down. I ran 2 six minute mains with the same gearing for both of the motors and the sintered rotor temp was 136 degress and the bonded rotor was 154 degrees. I could tell a little bit of a difference coming out of the corners and some of the smaller jumps the sintered rotor had a little more pop but the lap times were pretty much the same. I think it might have been because the track was a little dusty and slick. When the track is heavy and tacky you can see a big difference in the way the motors get out of the corners. I think the bonded rotor has a little more on the top side but other than that I would use the sintered over the bonded.

Michael
Michael#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks Michael.I did not know about the ceramic bearings.I am gonna ask Santa to get me one of those setups.I just hope i have been a good boy or i might wind up getting a brushed motor
gurumods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 254 (100%+)

No Problem, I have a 3 more sets of bearings and rotors on order for my other 13.5, 5.5, and 6.5. I hope it fixes my problems with my 5.5 getting hot.

Michael
Michael#81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Michael#81 : I just came across this older thread and wanted to ask....where do you order the "sintered rotor" from? I'm thinking of getting either the vector11X 7.5 or 6.5 and want to do this upgrade as well. I went to the AE website and i didn't see any parts options for this and the LRP site is down at the moment.

any suggestions would be good if you know of other places who sell the sintered upgrade. Thanks man.

Jeff
JEFFRO503 is offline   Reply With Quote