Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Who is using a Futaba 2.4Ghz 3PM for off-road? >

Who is using a Futaba 2.4Ghz 3PM for off-road?

Who is using a Futaba 2.4Ghz 3PM for off-road?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Who is using a Futaba 2.4Ghz 3PM for off-road?

I used to have a Lynx 3D and it gave suggestions for set up in the manual for different kinds of racing. I didn't find anything in the new Futaba manual on suggested set ups.

What are you running for steering speed and steering exp? I will be using the 3PM in a T4.

What has been your experience so far with the radio?

C
Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Dont think there is that many ppl using them yet since they are so new, id like to know how ppl are finding them also, looks like a kickass radio.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Talking

I pick one up recently and used to it race this past weekend in 1/8th scale buggy. No issues, works very well.

I'm not sure what you're looking for as far as setups? I pretty much run it at default settings, just set the end points on the servos and go. If you're looking for more tuning it does offer anti lock braking, exponential, throttle and brake position speed up / down, a form of fail safe if you lose signal from the radio, HRS if you run all digital servos, 10 model memory, etc. Lots of good features in a $190 radio set...

I opted for it instead of the 3PK because it's lighter, cheaper and had all of the features I'd typically use on a radio and then some. The steering throw is nice and solid, spring tension adjustable, same for braking on the throttle trigger.

Futaba offers two fasst receivers, one for the 3PM and one for the 3PK. The only difference between the two I believe is the 3PK version has the dual antennas, and is $10 more. I run it with a short antenna out of my receiver box with the majority of the antenna still inside.

My only complaint so far is that the display plastic is easily scratched
Old 05-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

3PK receiver with the Fasst has only one short antenna
Old 05-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by aaronb73

I'm not sure what you're looking for as far as setups? I pretty much run it at default settings, just set the end points on the servos and go. If you're looking for more tuning it does offer anti lock braking, exponential, throttle and brake position speed up / down, a form of fail safe if you lose signal from the radio, HRS if you run all digital servos, 10 model memory, etc. Lots of good features in a $190 radio set...

My only complaint so far is that the display plastic is easily scratched
I have the 3PM. When I had the Lynx 3D it told me in the manual "Many touring car racers like the steering EXP set between here and here" etc.

Well the Manual for the 3PM doesn't say anything like that. I wanted to know for steering if there is certain percentages that people have found extra useful for steering speed and EXP off-road.

That last thing that I want is to have a Computer radio, with digital servos and run it like the 39.00 dollar AM radio.

Totally minor, but the protective film the was over the display on the 3D, I never took off. It was neat enough, I didn't feel the need to remove it, and it protected the screen.

The protective film on the 3PM looked to me like it was hacked out of a sheet of film with a serrated knife. I will have to take that off, even though I would liked to have been able to leave one on to protect the screen.

Love how the radio looks and feels. My T4 should be here next week, and then I will get a chance to run it.

I am looking forward to running a super glitch free technology.

Cmotif <><
Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have a 3pk super with the faast that ive ran about 3 weekend so far. Its pretty nice. I switched from the m8 with the pro spektrum stuff.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have the 3PM with FASST. Works pretty well & fast. Needs all digital servos though to run in the HRS high speed mode. IT can work with analog servos in the slower PPM mode, but the reaction time is longer. If I could do it all over I would've just saved up for the airtronics M11 with 2.4 that's supposed to be coming out. love the backlit and large lcd screen. I use my radio to time my laps and to tell me when to pit, the 3PM's screen is in a inconvenient location.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearheadz80
3PK receiver with the Fasst has only one short antenna
And a second internal antenna... the 3PM receiver only has an external one.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by magbarn
I have the 3PM with FASST. Works pretty well & fast. Needs all digital servos though to run in the HRS high speed mode. IT can work with analog servos in the slower PPM mode, but the reaction time is longer. If I could do it all over I would've just saved up for the airtronics M11 with 2.4 that's supposed to be coming out. love the backlit and large lcd screen. I use my radio to time my laps and to tell me when to pit, the 3PM's screen is in a inconvenient location.
Can someone explain to me HRS and PPM? I have a S3050 Digital servo for it. Which do I want to use?

Is it inconvenient because it is on the left side, and not right or top?

Cmotif
Old 05-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

If ALL your servos are digital you should be able to run HRS mode. The 3050 is digital. It's all in the manual for the 3pm. Download it and see. OTOH some ESC's are incompatible with HRS mode if you're running electric.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:56 AM

That is strange. I have the manual and read through it last night. I still don't know what the initials HRS or PPM stand for. I didn't see a list of excluded escs. Where does one find that information?

I am going to be a Hitex HFX, just because I find them simple to operate and basically bulletproof.

Lots of cool stuff in the manual. Even the manual is good looking.

Cmotif
Old 05-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Can you really notice a difference between one and two antennas?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell
I have a 3pk super with the faast that ive ran about 3 weekend so far. Its pretty nice. I switched from the m8 with the pro spektrum stuff.

hey billy, ergonomics aside, have you henstly found any perfornace increse?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Default NOT HAPPY

I use the new 3PM 2.4GHz in my XRAY XB8R and have problems with it. Iīm a r/c pilot and in my last two races the RX stops working after 10 min. itīs a shame!
Why FUTABA donīt wrote in manual: ON ROAD RC ONLY ?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (93%+)

Originally Posted by speedrj
I use the new 3PM 2.4GHz in my XRAY XB8R and have problems with it. Iīm a r/c pilot and in my last two races the RX stops working after 10 min. itīs a shame!
Why FUTABA donīt wrote in manual: ON ROAD RC ONLY ?
2.4ghz 3pm is fine for offroad, you just need the rx pack that will last long enough, as an rc pilot you should know this, digital servos also draw more juice.

the other thing is i see companies like jr listing as "surface radios" and such, but this doesn't matter, heck isn't andy moore using an airplane 2-stick radio in his touring car?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.