R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #1

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Heavy Lipo

for all us guys who wanna go or are thinkin bout it, but want to keep the same balance (and not totally phase out our remainin nimh cache). any work on this? hopefully those who are searchin the threads for the info can type this in the search and find out what is needed.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Simple way to keep the balance (not cheapest though) pick up some tungston rods from your local welding supply shop and tape them to the lipos to get an equal weight to your nimhs.

It'll add about 1/8th of an inch to the height of your lipos, so you're battery hold down will have to work with either. B4, T4, BJ4WE all work well with this setup.
cfwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I made up a bunch of these out of 304 Stainless Steel, grinded and de-burred the edges and put a sweet finish on them. Made them at 4.5 oz (you can trim some off to fine tune the weight to your liking). They are the same footprint of the Orion LiPo packs. Keeps the weight where it is supposed to be, in the battery box (and keeps the CG nice and low)! Only have a couple left, but if there is more interest I will make more. $14.00 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Heavy Lipo-dsc02394.jpg   Heavy Lipo-dsc02396.jpg   Heavy Lipo-dsc02398.jpg   Heavy Lipo-dsc02427.jpg   Heavy Lipo-dsc02428.jpg  

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 AM   #4

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

that good info, i was also hopin some1 would chime in bout orion's supposed 'heavy' lipo or if that product died before birth.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

Well i was worried about how my xxx-cr and xxx4 G+ would handle running Lipo packs , they were setup running 4200 niMH cells which are over double the weight of the Lipo`s i run, to be completely honest guys after running several packs i found i actually ran faster and better with the lighter weight, even with the same setup, all i did was re set the ride heights to suit the lighter weight and ran them. Both cars accelerate and brake much faster than before and can be thrown into corners easier...noticed no difference jumping that i could feel... i reckon stop worrying about the weight issue so much and go out there and enjoy the new technology in all its glory
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #6
Tech Master

I couldn't drive the lighter car as fast myself. That is why I made the plates up. I also made them so the car is still a little lighter than with NiMH packs as I don't think the car needed to be that heavy either.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

The touring car guys put the Orion 3200 lipo cells into the case of the 4800 lipo and fill the space with lead weight.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
I made up a bunch of these out of 304 Stainless Steel, grinded and de-burred the edges and put a sweet finish on them. Made them at 4.5 oz (you can trim some off to fine tune the weight to your liking). They are the same footprint of the Orion LiPo packs. Keeps the weight where it is supposed to be, in the battery box (and keeps the CG nice and low)! Only have a couple left, but if there is more interest I will make more. $14.00 shipped.
If you lay that bar flat how thick are they? just wonderin
Old 11-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Run the car lighter and resolve the difference with setup. It is completely counter productive to add weight to any non-gravity powered vehicle. One reason a LiPo car seems harder to handle initially is that just by changing the battery you now have a lighter, overpowered car. Try going up a wind or two on your motor and down a weight on your shock oils. also consider with less swaying weight your camber link positions could use some adjusting. The idea that cars are "designed" to run with a certain weight of battery doesn't hold water. All the current off road chassis were designed when 2400mah batteries were new, 4200's weigh much more than the old cells.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
Tech Master

off the top of my head I think it is 1.9mm thick. I'll double check tonight when I get home.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #11
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Run the car lighter and resolve the difference with setup. It is completely counter productive to add weight to any non-gravity powered vehicle. One reason a LiPo car seems harder to handle initially is that just by changing the battery you now have a lighter, overpowered car. Try going up a wind or two on your motor and down a weight on your shock oils. also consider with less swaying weight your camber link positions could use some adjusting. The idea that cars are "designed" to run with a certain weight of battery doesn't hold water. All the current off road chassis were designed when 2400mah batteries were new, 4200's weigh much more than the old cells.
Been there , done that ...

weight has the best traction
no weight has good forward bite , but less side bite....

Done switch back and forth for over a month....
Weight has proven to be faster in my testing.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Then you can't have tested enough.

If Adam Drake and guys like that started running their cars at minimum legal weight I guarantee you that none of them would add 3-4oz of weight to achieve a desired handling charistic. There is no form of vehicle racing that I am aware of that stipulates a maximum weight, only minimum weights. We just haven't figured out the setups yet. For me, I am just as fast at this point. I will eventually be faster.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
Tech Legend

Quote:
Then you can't have tested enough.

If Adam Drake and guys like that started running their cars at minimum legal weight I guarantee you that none of them would add 3-4oz of weight to achieve a desired handling charistic. There is no form of vehicle racing that I am aware of that stipulates a maximum weight, only minimum weights. We just haven't figured out the setups yet. For me, I am just as fast at this point. I will eventually be faster.
Been debated this with a couple Team driver`s ....

Although less weight can be made to perform , it does not perform better than with weight ....

Like I said , tested this for over a month of club racing back & forth....

and yes

I have some of the best team driver`s to concur with about this issue ....

It is a hot debate , even when you do switch back & forth the times remain close to the same cept the weight delivers more good laps & final lap count...

I have good set-up`s for both .....

Not a set-up issue at all, its a traction issue in the end & that is why weight win`s in my testing....

If low weight really had a advantage, the lap times would tell....

If your interested I can give you a great set-up for either....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
There is no form of vehicle racing that I am aware of that stipulates a maximum weight, only minimum weights.
Thats because it doesnt cost 10s of thousands of dollars to add weight to a car.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #15
Tech Champion

It's also because in full size racing no one has ever found an advantage to adding weight. The only reason that guys are adding weight to get up to the weights that are arrived at using NiMh is that the setups and tire combos are refiend for that. Outside of adding weight to the back of a B4 or trying to achieve a balance side to side no one adds additional weight to cars with a NiMh setup. If more weight is better for traction and the cars can be easily over powered then why aren't guys stuffing lead into every available place on the chassis? It's because there are very few guys that are refining setups for cars that are lighter weight.

Disclaimer: I only race off-road, I know diddle about T/C racing.