Search

HPI E-Firestorm

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default HPI E-Firestorm

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/10550.html

Looks good, i liked everything i saw until i read it has a planetary diff. Is it really that huge of a deal to anyone who plans to race it? They'll probably release a ball diff for it anyways.

What i want to see now is a Buggy version! That would rock! An ST/BX combo...could be great.

So what do you all think of this? Think its enough to give the T4 Race-Spec a run for its money or is it something you'd say is not as good as an AE or Losi but rather better than lets say...Duratrax Evader ST/Sportwerks Raven ST/whatever else is left?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The planetary sucks.

HB will releasee the 2WD I'm sure.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

It looks like it will be decent though I still think a spec T4 is better. The Duratrax evader series is no slouch either and is a very capable race truck that come with a ball diff. The T4 spec is still the best all around option as parts can be found almost anywere and chances are someone in the pits has a part for you as well.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

it is 2wd and there built quite tough (iv got the firestorm) i dont think it will give it a run for anyones mony, more of a basher
Old 10-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annie_himself
HB will releasee the 2WD I'm sure.

This does seem like a valid idea...well heres to crossing my fingers for that then haha. A ball diff option part would get it up there with the Evaders i figure then, otherwise it seems as if its a "Rustler for the club racer?" kind of thing?

I plan on selling an Evader BX soon, and possibly an Evader ST even. We'll see how that turns out, maybe some pegasus newcomers/audience people will buy em.

I really want to see HPI enter this market though and do well. Im a big HPI fan, and i know HB is HPI's "race division" now...never understood why they couldnt just continue the HPI Racing thing further. All the hobbyshops i go to have a load of HPI parts, as much as traxxas even, but i dont see as much HB parts... but i digress, i want to see option parts for this e-firestorm now! Ball diff...hmm...okay maybe just that. Dont really know what else. Aluminum motor guard? lol. Its already got threaded shocks...^_^...and a buggy version!

and a 4wd buggy and truck thats derived from the Pro4. Return of the RS4 MT!

back to the e-firestorm though, tower has it priced for $210. Id actually like to see them lower the price maybe another $15-$25, especially cuz the T4 RTR isnt too far off from the $210 mark so they might lose business to "you want that? For about $20 more you can get a way better truck...." you know?

edit: got a response from an HPI rep about a possible buggy version and future upgrades, heres some of what they said

"I am sure we will be making some hop-up parts for it. As to what exactly I don’t know but beings we have hop-ups for most ever vehicle we sell, I am sure the E-Firestorm will be no different. As for a buggy or buggy conversion, we don’t have any current plans. However, most companies that produce a 1/10 Electric Stadium’s usually use its main components, shorten the a-arms, and then you have a buggy! We will have to wait and see what HPI makes for it and what they may plan to make out of it the future"

so its a distinct possibility to see a firestorm buggy...that would be neat.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Exclamation Metal Gear Thoughts

My feeling is that the all metal gear transmission (including the planetary gear diff) is provided to withstand much better the high torque application of brushless motors.

Having much too often maintained, repaired and replaced the ball diffs in my brushless RC18MT and T3, the all metal gear diffs in my bl E-Savage and Stampede are a much better situation allowing much more runtime per downtime.

A ball diff option, assuming the rest of the E-Firestorm is race competitive, can be made available to racers whose main priority is performance.

If however HPI or its' partner HotBodies wants to one-up its competitors in the Bashers Market(which is a bigger market), then all they need do is"E"(as in Electric) the MT2 and Lightning Stadium 10/Lightning GT 10 Twins. Not very difficult I believe and ...hope.

An ARR package would be nice, assembled/painted and ready for a bl motor and radio system.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

theres a thread already with the answers to some of your questions... it seems to have dissapeared though...

i disagree, i think with the right upgrades this truck could be a capable racer! not sure why its brushed, and why theres no ball diffs, but i guess thats to keep the cost down.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

here tis http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=187002
Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

XXX

Last edited by DARKWAV; 11-15-2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: moved