R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-28-2007, 03:57 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82
Default I think i might have overcharged and damaged my Lipo

Hi guys,

Bought 4x new Orion 3200 carbon Lipo`s not to long ago, have only had the chance to use them once and i must say i am impressed with the power and run time i am getting out of these packs BUT...

One of the packs is now absolutely dead, i charge them on a Duratrax ICE charger at 3.2 amps CC/CV and the charger charges till the pack will only take 0.1 amps and then it jumps to trickle where it will go until the pack takes 0.03 amps and then it shuts off completely.

Yesterday being a complete tool i put a pack on to charge and due to a situation that arose my attention was diverted away from the charger and the battery charging away... when i come home 3 hours later the battery had finished charging like normal and the charger had stopped all charge activity as the pack was full. i crapped myself for being so careless as everyone always stresses that you NEVER leave a lipo chargning unattended, well stupid me did and today when i went to use the pack it had nothing, so i took out the multimeter and checked it and surprise surprise 8.35 volts... but as soon as you go to put any drain on it such as plugging the ESC in or trying to discharge on the charger it instantly goes to cut off voltage...

Is this what happens when Lipo`s get overcharged and wrecked or did i get a dud pack? I would not have thought that trickle charge and a safety cutoff in the charger would allow this to happen...

Any ideas from Lipo guru`s would be appreciated, i have beeen SOOOO carefull except for this stupid stunt, i feel like a tool for doing it as its a new pack and wasnt cheap.
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if what u said was what actually happen, then u did nothing wrong, so long as u did set the right cell number.

try balance each cell, see what happens
Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How do you have your ice set-up? It should be set on "lipo" mode (2nd line down from top, below named profile), and then capacity of 3200, 2 cell. After this the ice will only allow you to charge at 3.2 amps max. As for trickle charge, there should be none whatsoever on the ice if your in this mode. Yes, it does start to drop down on voltage as the pack becomes full, but it is not a trickle charge, just the cc/cv reaching capacity.
If you really do mean trickle charge, then yes it is set up improperly. I'd say at this point the pack sounds like a dud pack from your account, might as well contact orion to see if you can send it in to be checked and possibly replaced since it is new, provided your charger is set right to begin with. From reading other peoples threads, Orion is pretty good about taking care of problerms like this.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, yes the charger is set up correct, 2 cell/7.4 volts 3.2A/1C 100% maximum charge capacity. I will contact team orion and see what they have to say.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

A guy at my track bought an orion 4800 new on friday...plugged it into his charger and forgot to put it on LIPO charge mode and left it on nimh mode...needless to say (while thankfully it didn't explode) it was ruined! And get this, all the cells ballooned up! The plastic box was completely blown open and the cells inside looked like water balloons! so we took it out back and left it in the alley behind the shop. could have blown right there on the table, so lucky us!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lol i accidentally dead shorted a li-ion pack it started smoking, and i juggled it outside the window. thankfully it was the insulation tape melting from the red hot battery bar. i now unplug it all the time.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJA82 View Post
One of the packs is now absolutely dead, i charge them on a Duratrax ICE charger at 3.2 amps CC/CV and the charger charges till the pack will only take 0.1 amps and then it jumps to trickle where it will go until the pack takes 0.03 amps and then it shuts off completely.

Yesterday being a complete tool i put a pack on to charge and due to a situation that arose my attention was diverted away from the charger and the battery charging away... when i come home 3 hours later the battery had finished charging like normal and the charger had stopped all charge activity as the pack was full. i crapped myself for being so careless as everyone always stresses that you NEVER leave a lipo chargning unattended, well stupid me did and today when i went to use the pack it had nothing, so i took out the multimeter and checked it and surprise surprise 8.35 volts... but as soon as you go to put any drain on it such as plugging the ESC in or trying to discharge on the charger it instantly goes to cut off voltage...

Is this what happens when Lipo`s get overcharged and wrecked or did i get a dud pack? I would not have thought that trickle charge and a safety cutoff in the charger would allow this to happen...
NJA82 - It sounds like the battery got a full charge initially and then you tried charging it again, right? As long as the 2nd charge was also done in LIPO mode, it is impossible to overcharge the battery (unless you had it in NIMH or NIcad mode).

If it's reaching cutoff immediately, then most likely a tab broke off the cell or there is a bad solder joint. Try turing off the LIPO cutoff temporarily and see if it runs well. Otherwis, send it back to Orion and they should take care of you.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Yea i tried recharging it using ONLY the Lipo mode, i am super super carefull with these bateries, i have them in everything, transmitter, starter box, RX pack etc. these are the only ones to have a problem.

I tried hooking up a lightbulb discharger i made up to see if the lights glow and there is nothing, they dont glow at all not even slightly, when i hold the multimeter on the pack and then hook the bulbs up the pack drops down to like 5.5 volts which is below cutoff so I immediately took them off, like i said before, it is holding a full charge but there seems to be power in there when you put any load on it, i would have thought that if there was a broken tab etc. it wouldnt show the pack voltage as 8.35 volts because there wouldnt be a full circuit....

I have emailed Team Orion, just waiting to hear back, i Live in Australia and purchased them from A main Hobbies over in the US, so im not to sure how i will go sending them back to Orion, i will have to wait and see how i go... Be a shame if i lose a brand new pack and cant get it replaced... i guess i will have to just live with it if it comes to that though
Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm guessing it will get taken care of. But if somehow you end up stuck with it... you might be able to open it up and find what's wrong.

It could be a bad cell.... but I'm thinking it's something in the wiring... just a guess.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the one run you did have ,,did the esc hit lipo cut off or did the pack have pllenty of life in it when you stopped????

but i may tend to agree wth above
bummer, dont let it put you off lipo.
ive tried a heap of differant brands out there and never a prob, touch wood.
ROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Tech Regular

ROV: Yea it just touched the cutoff in the ESC when i ran them, i only went till the cut off started interupting and then i stopped. So it should have had well over 6 volts left in the pack.

Got an email from Team Orion and i am sending it back today, fingers crossed they can replace it for me.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
Tech Elite

lol when i see the thread name from the forum main page i cant help but add 'herpes' to what i see lol!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Tech Regular

theres always one in the crowd isnt there smart ass
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM   #14
Tech Elite

lol! maybe...