R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default B4 ON THE TRACK FOR THE FIRST TIME. ANY ADVICE

Took the new FTB4 to the track for the first time last night and this is what I found was happening.

Excellent traction and handling on very fast long sweeping corners

Excellent on the straight, handles the bumps and ruts really good.

Pretty consistent off the jumps, once I got the speed right, this would result in a
Good landing and was able to drive away ok.

In the tight corners had a lot of trouble getting the car to flow nice, I could not get good turn in or mid corner steering. Exit steer was just ok.
50% of these issues tho is going to be my poor driving skills I think, the other 50%
is going to be set up.
I have a feeling I was maybe trying to be too quick into the corner which would force
me to run wide which would result in no corner steer. However I would still like more
Turn in.

When I did use the brake in the tight corners, it would just snap the rear into a 360 spin as soon as I got back on the throttle to power thru the corner, and I wasn’t giving it a lot of throttle either.

This is currently how my car is set up.

Graphite chassis (wanting to stick with this for now, contrary to what everyone says)

25 deg, castor, I will most likely change to 30, to help with turn in, for now have given a little toe out to compensate, will the toe out cause other issues ??.

I am running heaps of negative camber front and back, not sure of angle but it is a lot, much more than 1 deg. I have no good reason for this, other than it looks tuff, and I thought it might help with traction thru cornering.

Suspension is 35 wt oil with brown springs in the front and 25 wt oil with the silver springs in the rear, I was going to go with the green springs in the rear but thought I would go a little stiffer in the rear. Is this the reason why I am having good high speed cornering and great straight line handling and poor slow and mid speed tight cornering.

In saying all this I did find after 10 to 15 minutes once the battery lost some punch I was able to drive the car quite a bit better, so perhaps it all comes back to my driving skills at the moment, but still pretty sure my set-up needs some tweeking.

So please I would love some advice on my set-up. I was running a Novak 13.5 brushless ( is apparently equivelant to 27 turn stock) and a Novak spread spectrum GTB ESC. I think also I can make some helpful adjustments in my radio in terms of the acceleration curve and braking.

what is the biggest issue having heaps and heaps of negative front and rear wheel camber
Sponsored by Billowy-Power Batteries
PM me for the best priced ROAR approved lipo on the market
simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

Like you said, your driving maybe the cause of the steering issue you are having. Taking the corners slower should result in better turn-in. Even my Losi has great turn-in!
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Set it up as standard, As defined in the manual.

Then drive fifty laps before starting to tweak.

The first time I drove my B4 around the track it went around sweet as, Just picked a line and drove through it. I was pretty impressed.

Never bothered to adjust the setup at all since then.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

any of the Cavaleri setups work very well at most tracks. You can find them on the AE website. Most of the fast guys at my track are running something VERY similar to the Cav's Cactus setup....i've drove it also, it's awesome, the car "floats" very well.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Maybe add a little drag brake or called automatic brake in the LRP manuals. If it is better after 15 minutes, it is slower going in to the turns probably. Add some drag brake and it will be slower with a fresh pack.

Other things to try would be the 30 blocks, battery middle and get the camber dialed in a little. -.5 or -1 all the way around.

Of course, make sure you have the same tires that the local fast guys are running.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

i would say no drag brake and pull expo out of throttle and steering. and use less neg. camber -1 is a good place to start. Make sure the car rolls nicely that will give you more flow in the corners and neg expo will soften the throttle and brake. to much brake is no good. use the least bit possible.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

You should turn up the drag brake to 5 or 6 (you'll see what I mean in the manual). If you run zero drag brake no setup in the world will make the car turn in well. Make sure you have the correct tires for the track. A B4's strongest attribute is steering and turn in so if you're not getting good turn in then something is not right in your setup. The 30* caster blocks actually take away a touch of turn in and add exit steering for what that's worth.

Good luck.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
You should turn up the drag brake to 5 or 6 (you'll see what I mean in the manual). If you run zero drag brake no setup in the world will make the car turn in well. Make sure you have the correct tires for the track. A B4's strongest attribute is steering and turn in so if you're not getting good turn in then something is not right in your setup. The 30* caster blocks actually take away a touch of turn in and add exit steering for what that's worth.

Good luck.
I dunno i run no drag brake, makes the car push and spin.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
Tech Adept

One other thing you might consider is using another car for traction to help you around the corners. I know alot of guys who use this method, it seems to work well for them!

On a serious note, the Cavaleri, Mayfield, Tebo setups all are a good starting points. You need to have them exact, if you expect the car to react right. Plastic Chasis, Lead Weights, the whole nine yards, otherwise you aren't actually running their setup. Tires are the ultimate tune, you need to run the same tire, compound, foam, etc... as the guys who have the car figured out. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Mack Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
I dunno i run no drag brake, makes the car push and spin.

That's what I am refering to. Without drag brake the car doesn't transfer weight to the front properly. The car will push until the front tire does find traction and then quickly unbalance and spin out. Try setting your GTB's drag brake at 5, you'll be a happy camper.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well if the car is pushing he is getting to much rear traction. Wonder springs in the rear. I would imagine he is running green springs, he might wanna try runing silver in the rear to help him with his understeer issue. Also dialing in ride height will help with issue when approaching and leaving the jumps.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Also if he has to much drake brakes setup it will lock the rear end up off throttle and cause the car to spin out when approaching turn. Also try adjusting toe-angle. What toe angle are u set up at.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Could someone who has experiance with one way diff, and one way centre dirt use please explain the differance, and the advantage's.
Should i use 1 or both
ROV is offline   Reply With Quote