Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lipo battery for new brushless Traxas VXL system

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Default Best lipo battery for new brushless Traxas VXL system

What is the best brand of lipo to get with this new system?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Rookie

The best that will fit w/o any modification?

If you want a 2cell w/o any modifications the maxamps.com 2s2p 6000mah
If you want a 2cell and will use a velcro strap as hold down, the 12000mah 2s4p pack is amazing

If you want that 60-70mph range you will need a 3cell

maxamps has a 3s 5000mah pack that fits in the stock location
if you dont mind doing the velcro mod the 3s2p 8000mah is the absolute best battery you can snag for the VXL. Huge speed 70+ and sick run times. It is actually fast enough that you can run in training mode 50% if you want to have a bit more control and bash or race
Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Best depends on what youre looking to do with it honestly. If you want that 70+ top speed, then something from Maxamps will probably be the best bet. If you want to race it, or take it to the track, I would reccomend one of the Orion packs. The hard case not only looks nice, but protects the cells inside, and they're now offered with the Traxxas connectors.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a 2s 4800 peak racing on stock gears is pretty damn fast... 3s 4000 from maxamps is crazy fast, can't wait to try the 5000 tomorrow w/ taller gears
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Initiate

I have a 3s 5000mah max amps lipo. The truck rips with it and with stock gearing it runs cool enough. When I switched the gears to 70+ I had serious over heating problems no matter how I ran it (wide open or variable throttle).

The only thing I can think of now would be that I locked up the slipper clutch to get maximum power to the ground but i hindsight, I think I should have left some slip. The truck is still fast but it definitely lost a slight edge after the motor hit 221F (the esc hit 221F - so much for the thermal protection crap and the wires leading to the motor hit about 160F).
Old 10-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by R1R 7humbs
I have a 3s 5000mah max amps lipo. The truck rips with it and with stock gearing it runs cool enough. When I switched the gears to 70+ I had serious over heating problems no matter how I ran it (wide open or variable throttle).

The only thing I can think of now would be that I locked up the slipper clutch to get maximum power to the ground but i hindsight, I think I should have left some slip. The truck is still fast but it definitely lost a slight edge after the motor hit 221F (the esc hit 221F - so much for the thermal protection crap and the wires leading to the motor hit about 160F).
I have gps'ed over 70 w/o any major heat issues. I just hit 70 geared 30/76 and beat it geared higher. I use 8000mah 3cells though (lot more amps than the 5000's) You prolly messed your motor a bit as 200 is the max temp you should ever hit. Even do the speed runs I never broke 170.