R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-02-2003, 03:38 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

they are analogs ...I only use digitals with a special reciever in 1/8 on roads where centering is crucial.

I used digitals in off road once and toasted it after a month.

After that....I use only airtronics analogs..namely the 94358Z or 94359Z servo...tested and proven.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 05:24 PM   #107
Tech Apprentice

I will try the Futaba servos that Yuichi Kanai uses, I'm pretty sure they'll be good enough for me
metal gear 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 06:10 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by metal gear 2010
I will try the Futaba servos that Yuichi Kanai uses, I'm pretty sure they'll be good enough for me
Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to convice you to get the Airtronics.......I just have bad experiences with Futaba and Hitec servos......I've had 3 S9402s, 1 S9303, 1 S9450(digital), 5645s, 5945s , 925s, crapped out on me......getting very expensive......that's why I switched to Airtronics. I've seen a lot of local racers using it for years without any problems.

Yuichi Kanai gets his servos for free ..... I bet he also goes through a lot of servos especially when racing here in US tracks.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:23 PM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have seen every kind of servo available fail with the exception of KO and i believe if anyone i knew had them i would be able to add them to my list also

of course the hitec servos fail most often i can say that in the last year and a half i have personally burned up 6

i had read a thread before about servos and from what i read futaba and KO servo owners were very pleased and nobody had reported any failures

so thats why i got the futaba servos for my buggy

i dont really blame the servo the gears in the servo stripped (i think i havent taken it apart yet since i am not racing this weekend) i figure since it was a mechanical failure that it was probably caused by me hitting something with the servo saver too tight

my plan is to get the servo fixed and continue using it and of couse to looosen the servo saver some

i dont want to get into a big arguement about servos but i have seen a couple airtronics servos fail lately

and as far as digital vs analog i dont think it woulda made any difference since the problem is with the gears not the motor or electronic parts

i have a brand new hitec digital 5925 around here somewhere that i had just gotten swapped out when another one took a crap on me hopefully it will work temporarily

i also run those same 5925 in my mst-1 because i havent been able to afford to replace them with futabas yet

i may try JR servos out because they have a 3 year warranty

just out of curiousity what are the specs on the airtronics servos youve mentioned and their aproximate price

i got the futabas for $88 on ebay if they are cheaper i might consider them

i am trying to save some money i have to repay the money for the parts and hotel room i just charged and i kinda want to buy a t-maxx for me and my son to play with

i would have all the money i need if the guy who says he is going to buy my mtx3 would finally get it from me

i also want to get some more of those panther tires the step pins are the bomb the komodo dragons work good and the chameleon is apparently the best tire for blue groove and i went on their site and read they will soon be releasing the komodo dragaon 2

does anyone have any advice on how i can change my setup to get my buggy and truck to jump with the nose up i already run 10wt heavier front shock oil on both should i go further is it somehow effected by the shock mounting location or something

i think i need to start a notebook and change my setups and keep track honestly i havent got a clue how to setup an offroad car
Old 07-02-2003, 06:43 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

tambok how long have you had the airtronics servos?

did all those other servos fail?

most of my hitec servos just stopped working failing electronically one the motor inside lost power and would only turn the wheels when they were off the ground i never had one strip the gears one did make noise though when turning but it still turned

the futaba has no resistance like one of the gears inside completely broke into pieces or something

i am really starting to get curious now about what happened maybe tommorrrow i will pull it out and find out what happened

i saw alot of broken buggies this past weekend much more than i am used to seeing and our local track is jumps and bumps everywhere even the straight has a big jump on it the track where the pro series was held was very flat and smooth except for a 6ft tall table top a double double that you had to go really slow and a small triple that was really easy to clear

my local track has jumps everywhere including a very tough double double and a huge triple and a bunch of other jumps and a big whoops section

i think most buggies were broken on the huge table top jump it was really easy to launch your buggy about 30-40 ft long and about 15ft high in fact i saw quite a few buggies break there and quite a few others go right off the track and into the woods

i think that it was a combination of the heads up starting the huge table top and the fact everyone was trying really hard to go fast that lead to all the broken buggies
Old 07-02-2003, 07:28 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

PTP..what buggy and truck do you run?
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 09:09 PM   #112
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by TambokGT
Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to convice you to get the Airtronics.......I just have bad experiences with Futaba and Hitec servos......I've had 3 S9402s, 1 S9303, 1 S9450(digital), 5645s, 5945s , 925s, crapped out on me......getting very expensive......that's why I switched to Airtronics. I've seen a lot of local racers using it for years without any problems.

Yuichi Kanai gets his servos for free ..... I bet he also goes through a lot of servos especially when racing here in US tracks.
Yuichi Kanai designs his own buggy. You think he would take chances on servos, which will prevent him from winning with his designed buggy. The Worlds he won was in a Las Vegas track. Last time I looked, Las Vegas is in the US. He is not the only pro using Futaba equipment. Paul Coleman for OFNA, Greg Degani, who won the 2002 Worlds, are a few examples. I doubt their Futaba servos "crapped out" on them
Old 07-02-2003, 09:16 PM   #113
Tech Elite

PTP Racing.
I hear you......we have those gnarly jumps too in my hometrack. I've had it for a year now and it's the only servo that survived in off road racing. The Futaba and Hitec got their gears stripped and had electronic failure. The servos I'm talking about is the 94358Z and the 94359Z series...in your LHS they sell it arounnd $130 to $150 a pop. Someone is selling it for $95 at EBAY right now.

check the specs on there servos here.

http://www.airtronics.net/2003_servos.htm

Here's the guy selling it at Ebay....he has a few of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=34063&rd=1

here's a picture of my hometrack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gaschamps.jpg (89.3 KB, 106 views)
Old 07-02-2003, 09:22 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yuichi Kanai designs his own buggy. You think he would take chances on servos, which will prevent him from winning with his designed buggy. The Worlds he won was in a Las Vegas track. Last time I looked, Las Vegas is in the US. He is not the only pro using Futaba equipment. Paul Coleman for OFNA, Greg Degani, who won the 2002 Worlds, are a few examples. I doubt their Futaba servos "crapped out" on them
....dude......just get your Futaba servo.

I see you already made up your mind....no sense sharing my experience with you.

I ran with it...crapped on me....won't ever use it in off road ever again....period.

BTW...I am talking about servos being used by average unsponsored racers......people who cannot afford buying servos every 3 months or so......

FYI ...I've seen Paul(cool guy) and Greg..they usually race at my hometrack and they do experience servo problems.......in big events , they have NEW gears....especially engine and electronics.
...just keeping it real.

Last edited by TambokGT; 07-02-2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:34 PM   #115
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
....dude......just get your Futaba servo.

I see you already made up your mind....no sense sharing my experience with you.

I ran with it...crapped on me....won't ever use it in off road ever again....period.
good, don't use Futaba servos, maybe you'll win a Worlds someday like Kanai and Degani, who both use Futaba. Funny how their Futaba servos did not "crap out" when it mattered the most
Old 07-02-2003, 09:41 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Quote:
good, don't use Futaba servos, maybe you'll win a Worlds someday like Kanai and Degani, who both use Futaba. Funny how their Futaba servos did not "crap out" when it mattered the most
I doubt it. .....I'm not that serious....

maybe you will ..since your gonna copy Yuich's gear and paint job.

Last edited by TambokGT; 07-02-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:48 PM   #117
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I doubt it. .....I'm not that serious....maybe you will.
well, I prefer to have equipment that pros use to win World Championships, than a local club racer who hasn't won anything
Old 07-02-2003, 09:52 PM   #118
Tech Elite

......it surely shows how much you know about this hobby.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:57 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Quote:
well, I prefer to have equipment that pros use to win World Championships, than a local club racer who hasn't won anything
.....copying their gear doesn't win races.

FYI ....Local club racer = fast guys in our track.

Factory guys can win with a Radio shack gear. They are paid to use certain equipment to boost sales.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:09 PM   #120
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
.....copying their gear doesn't win races.

FYI ....Local club racer = fast guys in our track.

Factory guys can win with a Radio shack gear. They are paid to use certain equipment to boost sales.

Have you won, or just reached the podium, at your local track with your buggy? Also, can you name one Pro racer who has won with Radio Shack gear?