R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-21-2003, 07:09 AM   #61
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

PTP,
Sorry for taking so long I'm half way through a race meet I'll get back to you with a dirt & grass set-up for the X5. I haven't had time to do much with the MST-1 but I'll let you know something in the next couple of weeks.
lineburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:10 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

According to Mugen the diffs are the same size as the MBX4. And yes, Udi, I do believe you're just jealous. Why else would you come on this thread and talk trash about a car you know very little or nothing about?

Last edited by rcgod; 06-21-2003 at 12:49 PM.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:13 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i am not sure about the diff size

i know the internal gears are identical but they seemed smaller

either way its hard to deny that the new rear suspension setup resembles the 7.5

but better to use a proven design then to try to be completely original but not as good

i think that if i was trying to design something i would take a good long hard look at the current best available and see if i could improve apon it rather than starting from ground zero

its not like a complete copy or even as close as mst-1 is to xxxnt

but there are definite similarities

but i do understand your frustration with udi who seems to know a whole lot about a car he probably hasnt even seen in person
Old 06-21-2003, 09:18 PM   #64
Tech Elite

lineburner no big deal

i think ive got them ready to go

mbx5 is setup according to the setup sheet except 5k center oil 40 wt front oil and 30wt rear oil and i adjusted the wing to a steeper angle

mst-1 setup according to setup sheet but with drilled pistons to 1.5 30wt front oil and 20wt rear oil

going to try them out tommorrow

i have however had a strange problem where the mst-1 brake disc fell out or broke i made one from plastic but i think it melted had to get a losi xxxnt disc and dremel it

hope it works tommorrow is my last chance before the pro-series race coming up next weekend
Old 06-21-2003, 09:27 PM   #65
Tech Initiate

lucky you hopefully ill be at the watermelon classic
705guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:17 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

rcgod I don't want to argue with you. I hope it makes you feel big to say im jealous, but in reality I really couldn't care less. My car is fine and it needs no replacing... I think 'to each his own' applies here. Like I said before though, if your not seeing the similarities between the K's and the X5's, then you are as blind as a bat.

Jealousy doesn't start hitting me till I see K2's decked out like Mark Pavidis' with the whole set of new Fioroni Ultra racing gear. Now that; that, calls for jealousy. As well as a lot of drooling.
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:30 AM   #67
Tech Master

Default Correct

Udi you are correct to say that there are simarlarties in the two cars.The reason for this is that you must have a platform to begin with and thats how all great desighn efforts begin ,but I also can tell you that the new k car that will be out will have some of mugens knew ideas that they applied to the x5 but let me also tell you that this is better for the whole sport because no matter which car you run we all getting better products
Local racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 08:36 AM   #68
Tech Apprentice

You might be surprised to know that Mugen actually went back to a design from an earlier Mugen car for the suspension layout. From what I understand, they used this layout on either the athlete or it's predecessor. So who is copying who?
gquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:54 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT
Default ....let's be mature about this

...guys stop this childish quarrell ..."who's copying who".
I started this thread for positive reasons.

I am a K2 racer and I also like the X5. Let's share positive and constructive ideas here , we are all in this hobby to have fun.

A guy at Mugen said ...XR parts is not interchangeable to the X5. They do look similar but they are different.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:36 PM   #70
Tech Adept

I agree. I am looking at giving 1/8 scale a try and have been following the new mugen car. I am leaning towards it since the Kanai II is just so darn expensive. As far as "copying" its always going to happen. Thats how cars get better, taking a good idea and improving on it. Keep the comments comming!

Matt
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:08 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 07:18 AM.
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:47 PM   #72
Tech Elite

pkranger63m go out and buy a mbx5 today

it is awesome

the first time i ran my mbx5 (and i mean 1st time ever putting on the ground) i was able to improve on my time from the week before running mbx4xr from 9 laps 5:32 to a 9 lap 5:02

the car is very light and loves to fly through the air

ive been know to drive like an idiot and beat the crap out of my buggy and i havent broken it yet (except i broke the nose of the body somehow but i dont blame the car)

in fact this past weekend i drove like an idiot for 1/2 of the 30 min main i was in 6th or 7th i got it together and started running clean laps about 1/2 way through and ended up taking the lead on the last lap and winning

i spent about 3 hours today cleaning and checking out my buggy i saw no bad or worn parts after 2 race days and i have been VERY hard on it

udi you may even want to make the switch i was catching so much air a group of people gathered near our tracks triple and i could hear them making comments about my buggy i even attracted a following these 2 young boys were following me around all ay asking me about my buggy and how it jumps

as for copying it would be very unusual to see fullsize cars that didnt somewhat resemble each other somethings just work best a certain way and you can either join in or get left behind
Old 06-24-2003, 07:08 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Mugen really did a good job on this buggy....just like what they did on the on road 1/8 car. ...very user friendly.

I race the K2 ....K2 handles... but what I don't like about it is it's weight.

The X5 can handle the really rough parts of the track...unlike the XR....that was the only problem with old buggy "handling-wise".
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:32 PM   #74
Tech Adept

Where is the best price on this buggy. I keep seeing a place on E-bay with a 529.00 "buy it now" This seems like a pretty good price. After seeing the 1/8 scale buggies run at my track I am having a hard time holding myself back from picking one up

Thanks
Matt
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:24 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The guy that's selling them on ebay for $529 is who I bought mine from. Luckily he lives 30 miles from me, so I was able to pick it up at his house and didn't have to pay the $25 shipping fee. His price is about the lowest you're going to find.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote