R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-24-2004, 08:39 PM   #541
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Anodizing

I have been working with a buddy here in Georgia. We set up a small area in the garage and have been having pretty awesome success with anodizing ourselves!!! Lot of work, but worth it if you want to match or be different...once again anodizing in no way makes you faster!
Old 12-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #542
Tech Adept

anybody have a suggestion where to find good prices on the MBX5 online?
Pitstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:20 AM   #543
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hmm.. I just sold a brand new prospec with $200 of parts for $650.. haha.. good thing you know that now huh?
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #544
Tech Adept

Ok, I picked up the X5 and have it built, though I need help with a couple of things, what will the effect be of filling all the diffs full to the top as opposed to only half way (I missed this part in the build) also miss read part of the instructions and fill the front diff with 1000 wt instead of 3000wt oil

What is the effect of heavier or lighter oils in the diffs?

I must also comment that this has to be one of the easiest builds ever

the shocks were espically easy.

Bryan
Pitstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #545
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Diff oil is a valuable tuning aid... I am currently running 5000 in front, 7000 in the middle and 2000 in the rear. Blue springs all around.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #546
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Pitstops
Ok, I picked up the X5 and have it built, though I need help with a couple of things, what will the effect be of filling all the diffs full to the top as opposed to only half way
Then your diffs will leak. When the fluid warms up it expands. If you fill the diffs completely then you're asking for trouble. Fill them up only to where the internal shafts cross. Also, you can fine-tune by using the small o-rings that fit in the backsides of the spider gears. Most people (including Bradley, Moore, etc.) run without them.
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #547
Tech Rookie

Default Mugen MBX5 Help Please

Hi Guy's

This is my first post and looking at other threads someone may have the answers here...

Love the hobby and own few cars and trucks including an all alloy T-Maxx an FG Marder etc etc all good fun and drive and work great.

In my local hobby store and spot a well priced Mugen MBx5 Pro: second hand and in top condition... heard good things so I bought it.

Its come with a NovaRossi P5 engine and a Hyper 7 starter box with a fresh gell acid battery installed.

The hobby store have advised to start the engine with the glow plug 1 turn loose due to the high compression of the engine ( if tight con rod damage is possible) I'm using 15% cool power. Here's the problem she starts but dies as soon as the glow starter is removed. It's turning into a display model as I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Johnny-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #548
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

You almost definetly need a new plug. I don't run Nova based engines but that rule applies to just about all engines. While you're at it, I'd get some higher nitro fuel. It will run fine on that fuel but engines tune differently with different nitro percentages so when you ask around at the track for plug type, temp suggestion, etc. you'll hear advice that is "calibrated" at 30% nitro as this is pretty much the standard. For what it's worth, I've had very good experience with the Byron's Race 3000 fuel. Inexpensive and run's clean and cool.
If the engine isn't new, I wouldn't do the plug loosen thing. If anything, you might try warming the engine with a hairdryer before starting.
Hope that helps!

Dave
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #549
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I agree change the plug, I aslo agree bump up to at least 20%
Old 01-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #550
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeh change the plug or hotter plug also you may want to start with base needle settings on the carb if your not sure where they are at.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:38 AM   #551
Tech Elite

Johnny - The Search feature on this board is AWESOME..and I guarantee that a large percentage of your questions are already answered somewhere, maybe even in this thread.

You can use the Search button to define the conditions of your search, and track information down to each individual post!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:48 AM   #552
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Aaron, why do you keep pushing this search crap. The guy is asking a question in the thread for the car he has. 3 guys have already made suggestions on what to do, why can't you just help by giving advise on the problem he's having rather then tell him to do a search??? Then he's bouncing all over the place trying to find the anwsers that he could have and DID get right here in his very first post.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:37 AM   #553
Tech Elite

Greg - The only time I say something like that, is if the person posted their question in a brand new thread. I move the thread into the already-existing thread (notice his post is titled something, and now it's in the X5 thread).

The same question can be asked within one thread as many times as you want..it doesn't really bother me. It's just pointless to have ten X5 threads, seven for the Mayhem, 3.5 for a Duratrax car, etc.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #554
Tech Rookie

Hi All,

Many Thanks for the advice, changed plug and now it works ace, really looking forward to driving it now. Will up the fuel % as well.

Sorry for posting in the wrong area but being a newbie i was afraid that jumping in on someones elses topic would wind people up and leave it un-answered.

Once ggain many thanks

Johnny.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #555
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys

Just taken the MBx5 out for it fist run, Started nice, let it warm up a bit then gave it some action. In a word WOW, I think this thing is quicker than my FG marder and that does't hang around.

The Petol is less hassle tho, top car tho and lots of fun to be had

Cheers Johnny