R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-14-2004, 09:38 AM   #466
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

PTP.. I highly doubt that is why.. my bearings get replaced every gallon regardless.. due to competitive racing... you can't take the risk.. but when they come out they are in very good condition.. smooth and new looking.. I've never seen any racers I race with have any trouble with bearings in any car they run.. the only trouble I see is when someone doesn't prep their clutch assembly correctly..

oil will kill bearings and clutch performance.

avidrc.com has the bearings I run.. $1 each
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #467
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you get a gallon of fuel through an engine on the same clutch bearings?? on a mbx5??

currently i am running a set of the avid bearings and i can only hope i can get near the kinda life outta them you've described

i raced a mbx4xr and mbx5 for the last 2 years up untill recently switching to kanai and i had quite a few bearing failures on the mbx cars to the point i switched my clutch bearings every race day before every main because it wasnt worth the couple bucks it cost me

what are you doing to get such incredible life from them???

i know many guys and we all had similiar results with our clutch bearings on our mugen cars
Old 08-14-2004, 01:58 PM   #468
Tech Regular

Thumbs up wassup ptp,

i have no problems with my clutch bearings.

if i wanted to, i think i could get a gallons worth with my clutch bearings. if your blowing bearings, all i can think of is that maybe your chassis is flexing or your clutch is slipping alot.
i dunno

but yeah, several racers run their bearings till they give,
i check mine after every three races or so and everytime i check them they seem fine(knock on wood).

anyways
peaceout.
ericmyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #469
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

there are racers that dont even check their clutch bearings regularly. their bearings last pretty long too.

Last edited by ericmyson; 08-14-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:10 PM   #470
Tech Adept

I have ran well over a gallon and have 0 problems, I do run the mugen chassis stiffeners and a good gear mesh which may be the trick.
e420x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:33 PM   #471
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well i must say im surprised ive had numerous failures and so have many other guys i know

the bearings on my kyosho had lasted 2 races but after that i decided to swap them out they were OK but i still dont like to take any chances
Old 08-14-2004, 03:26 PM   #472
Tech Adept

Thought I'd pipe in. I replaced my bearings with MST-1 bearings. Thay seemed better quality and I like the fact that they are flanged. This means that I only need one small shim to get almost all the play out. I fiquired everybody did this.

Mike
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:49 AM   #473
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Longer lasting clutch bearings!

One thing you can do to increase bearing life is to pack those bearings with grease!

Here's how......

Pop the shields off of the bearings. Take some high quality bearing grease(I use Paris "Ronnie Grease" or Corrosion Block grease) and smear a thin film on the bottom of your palm. Position the bearing in your fingers with the open side of the bearing facing your palm and firmly scrape the bearing over the greased part of your palm. As you are doing the scraping motion, rotate the bearing so that all parts of the bearing gets packed with grease. As you are doing this, you will notice that some grease will be forced out of the gap between the shield and the inner race of the bearing on the other side. This tells you that that portion of the bearing is well packed. Continue packing until grease is squeezed out from the whole circumfrence. When the bearing is completly packed, wipe the excess grease off and re-install the shield and retainer.

One extra step I do before I re-install the shield is apply a couple of drops of Militec 1 oil. This stuff is great and it really helps!

Try it! It's kinda messy but the results are well worth it.

BTW, Sup ericmyson!!
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:09 AM   #474
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If u would like for your clutch set up to slip and ruin your race day then do what the previous post says. If u want your clutch to work properly then DONT!
eltorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #475
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Wow!

What a nice way of putting it eltorito.

Jeez!

Anyways, if you use rubber sealed bearings and the big Kyosho washer, it should reduce the clutch shoe/bell contamination. Avoiding over-packing the inside bearing helps too.

You should also check for grease migration when you inspect the clutch and clean the clutchbell thoughroly with electric motor spray.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #476
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just didn't feel like wasting my time writing lenghty response ;-)

I NEVER do anything to the bearings I install on my 1/8 buggy. I have YET to have one fail.

I dont like having a clutch that slips so why introduce more grease inside the clutchbell?

Not meant to be an arse about it. But I had to cut to the meat and potatoes.
eltorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:41 AM   #477
Tech Regular

Default wassuup FREAKAH

wow cuzz,

how's that one!!!

Old 08-18-2004, 08:21 PM   #478
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to serpentsixty9 Send a message via Yahoo to serpentsixty9

hey guys, i just ordered a mbx5 new, and i was wondering before it gets here if theres anything i should be aware of while building it, any hopups i should buy, or tips i should be aware of before and during the build? thanks
serpentsixty9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:10 PM   #479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just curious as to why not to use the small o-rings in the diffs. Is it a friction issue?
Just got mbx5 and when rebuilding the diffs, I noticed them and thought for a second of why they were there and forgot about them and reassembled.
Thanks
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:59 AM   #480
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

grease + clutches = bad news

PTP... all I do is put a steal shielded bearing on the tip of a screwdriver I have and blow the bejesus out of it to get grease out.. I do this on both sides until no more grease comes out.. for both bearings.. then I spray some motor cleaner or nitro spray on a paper towel and clean the exterior of the bearing very well.. then I clean the clutch bell very well.. along with the shoes.. with cleaner again.. I shim with .2-.5mm of play.. I use teflon shims.. that's it.. I have yet to have one fail in under a gallon.. they may go for 2 gallons.. I pushed a pair once to see.. it went for around 1 3/4 gallons and I inspected them visually to see how they looked.. and the chrome plating was coming off slightly.. so, I replaced them.. they were still smooth.. no notchy feeling or anything.. I don't know.. I assemble things with great care.. so, that may have a lot to do with it also.. my mesh is always perfect.. and the bell and spur are parallel to each other..

sorry for the huge paragraph and possible typos.. I'm practically asleep..

you can call me if you like PTP.. maybe I can help you over the phone..

e-mail me first..

[email protected]

Last edited by warpig; 08-19-2004 at 01:07 AM.
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote