Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5 is here!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Default Leaky Diffs in X5

Ok so after about a galklon of gas thru my x5, I open the diffs and see no oil in their. SO it appears the leaking problem everyone talks about is a reality for me now. I do have the orings in which seems not to be doing much. I was wondering what people do to fix theirs. WOuld the diff seals from the mbx4 work in a case like this?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

I'D LIKE TO KNOW MY SELF I LIKE THE CAR BUT IT NEVER HANDLES RIGHT AFTER THE THIRD RUN JUST BEFORE THE MAINS BECAUSE OF THIS
Old 08-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yea, thats called Mugen diff syndrom... they suck. Look at kyosho diffs, look at the GIANT orings they use for their diffs, then look at the scrawny little orings mugen uses. You need to buy some aftermarket orings to make the mugen diffs work fairly good. But they will never be better then kyosho diffs.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Will Kyosho Diffs work in a X5? Where can I order aftermarket o rings
Old 08-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default My 2 cents on the clutch Bell Bearings

I was having alot of problems with the clutch bell bearings lasting more than 15 minutes. I have switched to a K car and I have gotten 2 plus hours on cluthc bearings that were left over from the MBX-5.
If you compare the Mugen clutch bell with other cars you will see that the gear on the clutch bell sits out further. I think this adds to more stress on the outer bearing. Either or the chassis flex thing. Who knows. But I had to sale the car because you can't have fun if you are not finishing races.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Well guys I Just orderd a mbx5 prosepc that I should have Friday. Tony I sold my k3 to buy a new mp777 but I fiqured The mp777 wouldnt even be out in the U.S. for another month and I got a great deal on my k3 I couldnt pass up. Another thing even if I bought a 777 on ebay were would I get parts? I'd be scared to run it till I had spares. So instead of not having a buggy for a month and a half I fiqured I would give the prospec a try. Hopefully they have all the clutch problems worked out of it. It defintley looks to be much stiffer. The biggest reason I got the mugen is for the price, about 75.00 cheaper than the special 1. But if I dont like it I'll just sell it and get a mp777 early next year
Old 08-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

KC, the reason why the mbx5 was blowing clutch bearings was due to flex in the chassis directly below were the engine sits. The Mugen Prospec comes with an upgraded cnc engine mount that extends forward past the engine to get rid of the flex.

This was also being done in the regular mbx5 by purchasing the KingHeadz extended motor mounts.

The prospec comes with all the goodies and then some. It is a good purchase. they also include an updated steering ackerman to get rid of the bump steer that was kicking everyone's b.utt.

U shouldn't have any problems with this kit. Enjoy.

Oh one more thing I forgot to mention. People complain about the leaky diffs on the X5. Just purchase this O-rings http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id=2159 and make sure u lube em good before u put them in so they wont tear.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: My 2 cents on the clutch Bell Bearings

Tony- I have been running my car hard every week and have not had any problems aside from the battery switch coming loose and one of the center universals coming loose.

I love the car, handles great, just need to fix the leaky diffs and all is good
Old 08-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey all, just started putting my mbx5 together and there sure is alot of usefull info on this board One thing I haven't decided yet is what engine to use, for me it's a toss between the JP FX .21 B5T or the old standard RB WS7-II. I know the RB's well but I really like the idea of the turbo plug in the JP. Has any one used the JP and what do you think of it? Also, what is good source for JP in the southwest area, Cali, AZ. Thanks
Old 08-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Well I got my mbx5 prospec today and man it looks awesome, I really like all of the aluminum parts. Javier I think you right, all those aluminum parts should elimate flexing, I am putting it together now but I broke a center crosspin for the diff, dont ask me how but it broke in half and of course I have plenty kyosho crosspins left and its my luck they are different. So I may have to order a new one if my lhs doesnt have any in stock, Man this sucks!!!!!! Tell your contact I probaly being getting with him about a engine. Does anyone know if you are supposed to use the real small orings in the diffs?

Last edited by tony montana; 08-12-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

don't run the small o-rings.. 5k in front 7k center 2k rear.. and small sway bars will hook your car up really well
Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

kc, i am glad u like the prospec. i sent u a pm with my buddies email. but just in case...

If anyone wants to purchase a P5 or a 421 in either stock form or a Jim Hottinger HotMod engine u can contact Pete Worth(ProjectRC) at [email protected]

He is a very professional individual. I know him personally and he is a well known racer in NC and SC. He has engines in stock and ready to ship. Drop him a line and tell him that Javier sent u his way. He has helped me out a bunch without asking for anything in return.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Tony, you probably had the gears in a possision that the tops on the bevel gears were hitting each other rather than inbetween to bust that part. Broke as you were tightening the diff together ?? I also did it once, now I always have spares as it can happen when in a hurry and changing fluids at the track.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:07 AM
Tech Champion

Yelp, it happend when I was tighting the rear diff togeher, Now Im screwed my lhs doenst have any in stock, Does anyone know if there is any other shaft that will fit it?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

tony montana are you going to be at pasadena tomorrow???

running a mbx5???

do you have a mtx3??? i think the insides of the diffs are the same i know the gears are not so sure about the pins but it only makes sense that they would all be the same

if not go to the hardware store find some metal rod the right thickness and cut it to length unless you dont wanna race this weekend

and as far as the clutch bearing problem goes i can only think of 2 reasons a bearing would fail 1 is heat the other is load

im not sure the heat applies but there is a shield washer on the kyosho clutch that is the size of the inside of the clutch bell that goes in between the clutch and the bell possibly to keep heat away from the bearings if not just the debris from the clutch

the other reason was load and this is where flex comes in if you look at a kyosho chassis there is an indentation under the clutch bell why put it there unless the possiblity of slapping the chassis with the clutch bell exists and the mbx5 has alot of chassis flex even with the machined braces my mbx5 was still quite flexable

and the chassis flexes more because i think the mbx5 doesnt soak up the landings off big jumps as well as kyosho either

and on the other buggies i think the engines probably mount higher to keep them from slapping the chassis and that is IMO why the mugen eats clutch bearings so frequently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.