Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GReddy

i really want to build my own car and i like the thought of over kill
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:46 PM   #422
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to OvalEvader

Overkill in this case means that there will probably be no benefit from getting the x5 over say... a violator. X5's aren't exactly the most durable 8th scales, and its not really basher friendly (since its impossible to rig up a pullstart or rotostart, not fun to haul a starter box to your bashing spot).
OvalEvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #423
Tech Apprentice

If you are really interested in getting an 8th scale for bashing I would strongly suggest the ofna (hobao) hyper 7 pbs pcr rtr. It comes with everything you will need including the pullstart and costs less than $500. It is a great deal. Building the kit is great if you have good skills, but to build the mbx5 takes some skill to get it right. What do you mean by the way that the mbx5 is not durable? I have had mine since they came out last june and haven't ever broken anything on it.
gquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:16 PM   #424
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GReddy

i didnt say it wasnt

i think it is very durable
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:38 PM   #425
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I watched gquinlan race and abuse (hehehehe) his all last summer, it was the reason I got my son a Mugen when we decided to race 1/8th off road. It also seems to handles the rough tracks better than anything out there from what I have seen, it could just be set up, but they are dominating around here..
Thank you to his sponsors Mugen, J-Concepts, The Nitro Shop, Loosenuts Racing, Savage RC Motorsports, Ford Designs.net and FTR...
Jeff Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 PM   #426
Tech Elite

IMO the mugen is 1 of the worst buggies on the rough stuff
Old 06-28-2004, 11:03 PM   #427
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

It's all in your setup.
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:08 PM   #428
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default K3

Quote:
IMO the mugen is 1 of the worst buggies on the rough stuff
After all the praise you gave it earlier, you must be joking...

Has anyone attempted to fit their buggies with a motor mounting system like what the K3 has? I was bragged about that feature at my local track, and I actually think that its a good idea. I will be incorporating it into my chassis when my budget can afford it.

Is there any value to replacing the stock cf steering brace(?) with an aluminum replacement like that from Fioroni? I thought the cf would be lighter, and while allow a little flex wouldn't be that bad. I purchased my model from a local that built up the chassis with the intent to race it. He had already replaced the shock towers and the afore mentioned steering brace with Fioroni aluminum parts. I don't mind the bling factor, however, I have always believed that light weight was more valueable in racing. I personally would rather waste that weight on a thicker ackerman bar if that is the hot ticket.

thanks,
tim
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:44 AM   #429
Tech Elite

no im serious i really liked the mbx5 but its weakness was going over rough areas it got bounced around too much

the mbx4 xr i had was even far worse i really had to be carefull going through bumpy areas or the car would get tossed

i always paid close attention to those spots when watching other cars on the track (during marshalling etc.) and noticed the kyoshos seem to have an advantage on those areas even the hyper 7s look more stable

if the track is smooth and high speed the cars are extremely even but when the going gets rough the kyosho seems to shine IMO

just from observation

i have switched to kanai to try it out my plan is to evaluate it in comparison with my mbx5 and then based off that decide which buggy i plan to buy next spring mbx5 prospec or mp777 special

my mbx5 was completely worn out i bought it as soon as they came out and ran it almost every weekend last summer and fall and up to this point this year and while it was still driveable it was starting to break and the metal parts were completely shot

and i still havent figured why it ate so many clutch bell bearings
Old 07-06-2004, 07:01 PM   #430
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Where can I find more information on the Fioroni parts. I am especially interested in a feature I see near the motor mount on their chassis. I am wondering if that strange cut-out will allow for a K3 style engine mount...
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:40 AM   #431
Tech Elite

generalsilicones.com i think is the website

debbiesrcworld.com is a GS dealer and stock most of the fioroni parts i think
Old 07-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #432
Tech Adept

Default diff. oil.

I just got my mbx-5. A really nice buggy. Question about the diffs. The guy at nitro house told me to run 7-3-1. I have been reading through the past pages and it sems that the set up is
5-7-2. Before I rip my diffs out to start over I thought I would ask.
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #433
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT
Default Re: diff. oil.

Quote:
Originally posted by coldeye
I just got my mbx-5. A really nice buggy. Question about the diffs. The guy at nitro house told me to run 7-3-1. I have been reading through the past pages and it sems that the set up is
5-7-2. Before I rip my diffs out to start over I thought I would ask.
it's drivers preference.... start off with that then change if you don't like how it handles. I started with 5/7/2 then 7/10/2 and ended up liking 5/10/2
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #434
Tech Adept

I had some time before I was able to pick up my 421b so I went to 5-7-2. During break in I noticed that the car had a bit off torque steer. When I would give short stabby bursts I can see the car pull right then setle in. I was thinking this is due to the diff set up I 'm running. Its hard for me to tell though being that was the first time with the car. Anyone else seen this?
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:36 PM   #435
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mugen9112

PTP Racing- Jason sup dude, Ron here. i cant believe u switched to kyosho, i'v been reading tech talk and sounds like your satisfied with your new K-car. but jas you were the reason i got the mugen x5, seein u and troy fly over the triple at our track last year convinced me, i just cant believe u switched! anyways how did hobby hut go, antwaan told me that everyone in the buggy Amain was tryin to catch some guy from New York. Antwaan said even chris crews could catch this guy!
Mugen9112 is offline   Reply With Quote