R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-16-2003, 03:42 PM   #256
Tech Apprentice

Ok, after reading all the posts here (all were very helpfull), I have deceided to get an MBX5 and start racing. I was originally going to get the K2, but all the great feedback on the MBX5 changed my mind. My question is, how hard of a kit is it to build. I have built many onroad gas and electric cars (Xray, Serpent, Yokomo) so i have building experience, but i have never built a 1/8th scale buggy. I do currently own a Kyosho Inferno Sport, so i have some working knowledge of buggies. Any help or tips for a first time buggy builder would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve
srenfrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i havent had any diff leakage because i put rtv on them when i built the car my mbx4 diffs always leaked

i think i will try the heavier oil at the next club race so i can check it out before the trophys are up for grabs

im not in florida but in Maryland the hurricane is supposed to come right up the chesapeake bay which is very close to home

the mbx5 is not hard to build at all the manual has very little writing just alot of pictures but its pretty self explanitory if you run into any trouble during the build im sure we can help you out

our season ends the end of october i think i may get an electric for the winter but there is rumor of indoor nitro within about an hours drive of here so im holding out as long as possible
Old 09-19-2003, 10:30 PM   #258
Tech Adept

Hey guys ... some pics of my MBX5 with a fresh body

chorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:29 AM   #259
Tech Regular

Default Brakes

Hey guys, i notice that the MBX5 is using 2 brake disks for braking while most top buggies are using the quad brakes. I am wondering how the brakes are holding up for this new mugen buggy. Any views on this? Thanks.
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:09 PM   #260
Tech Elite

there is no need to have quad brakes IMO

the mbx5 brakes work very well and ive never heard anyone complain of fading

chorner your buggy looks good

now that the hurricane stuff is over with i hope to rebuild my mbx5 and get a new body so mine looks that nice
Old 09-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #261
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

The brakes on the MBX5 are fine with two discs. Occasionally I find myself with too much brake, so I dial some out. I've actually screwed myself up a few times getting hard on the brakes right after landing a small double, to set up for the tight 180* turn after the double, and flipped my buggy(over the front) because the brakes grabbed too hard(or maybe I should learn how to use the brakes right ). The MBX5 definitely doesn't need quad brakes.
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:02 AM   #262
Tech Regular

Bump, and a question.

My steering servo fried, so I'm looking for a new one. What servos are you guys using in the steering, and how do you like them? Suggestions? I'd prefer if they're available at Tower or Stormer. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #263
Tech Regular

Hopefully I'll get an MBX5 before the year is out, to replace my XR Wosrks buggy. I am running an old. no-longer available Tactyl II front diff and have been told that it will fit in the newer buggy. I sure hope so. Oh, if you want a tad more steering here's a secret. Replace the front stock CV's with the older-style two-piece universals from the old RR buggy. You'll get more deflection angle before the joint locks up.
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:39 AM   #264
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Don't panic the BBF's & torsens all fit the X5
lineburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:16 PM   #265
Tech Elite

for steering i use a airtronics 357 its very fast and plenty powerfull

i would like to switch it for a 358 for the extra torque or airtronics has a new servo something like 360 or something that has all metal gears and a heatsink case

ive tried hitec futaba and airtronics and the airtronics has lasted longer than either of the others
Old 10-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #266
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default X5 body

Anyone know where on-line i can get an X5 body,preferable the new proline body or a mugen one will do? Thanks
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:34 PM   #267
Tech Regular

The Pro-Line body isn't in stock yet, but Tower has it on backorder. Nitro House has the Mugen body, and I'm pretty sure Stormer does, too.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:03 AM   #268
Tech Adept

Mugen Seiki Novarossi P5 big cooling heads are in stock
Hotbodies Savage Super shock set in stock

Thanks

JustRC
justrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:00 PM   #269
Tech Regular

Where is everybody? Gone indoors/electric for the winter? What hopups has everyone been running on their buggy? I'm trying to figure out what I want to buy with the money I get for Christmas...All I've got so far is the Ratzas steering link, but I want some new towers, torque rods, lower arm mounts, and the radio tray post(stock plastic one seems like it'll strip out pretty easily). What does everyone think of the different hopups out for the MBX5 now? Also, has anyone tried Craddock brakes? What'd you think of them? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:03 PM   #270
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

...been very busy with work....no racing just ....goinh to the track (if time permits) then practice.....so far my x5 is easy to drive and it handles well....everything bone stock.....just waiting for a chance to race again.....no need to adjust anything on the buggy.....in short ..I am a happy camper.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote