R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-12-2003, 05:07 PM   #181
Company Representative

I'm an RB fan and have had nothing but stellar performance from my motors. I haven't seen any siro's in this area, but I would go with the RB.
Gary Fliegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:10 PM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would go with the ws7 2 over the sirio because of 2 things

1 sirio uses turbo plug
2 sirio carb

we have a team trinity driver that races 1/8th at my track and he has been running sirio since they came out i noticed at pro series race that his sirio engines had novarossi carbs and the pro-series rules specified no turbo plugs so he had to change that also

everyone else i have seen run one of those sirio engines has stalling problems even the trinity driver admits the sirio doesnt like to idle

however if i can tell you my real opinion is that the novarossi RX 21 P5 is the best engine available

i have one and i have loved it since i first started it even during my rich break-in i was getting nearly 8 minutes run time it has incredible power and since its made by novarossi i like to think it will last a really long time like RB engines do

also that trinity driver was spotted at todays trophy race running a P5 (trinity is exclusive novarossi importer) isnt that saying something when i asked him about it he said he would give it 2 thumbs up

tambok YES it will jump further easier and accelerates incredibly fast once you run your MBX5 you will know exactly what i mean

there is a big triple jump on my local track only about 1/2 of the buggys can clear the triple very few can do it consistently my buggy can clear it at 1/2 throttle and i easily overshoot it by 2-3 ft if im not carefull i only bobbled it 3 times all day racing

some guys were telling me that i should slow down and double single the jump because at previous races i was overshooting or screwing up the landing but i kept telling them it was too hard to double single i would have to coast all the way to the face of the jump and then accelerate to double single the mbx5 jumps extremely well i have nearly perfected it now and its probably the place i am able to make 75% of my passes now because i can jump right over 3 or 4 guys at a time sometimes

i cant say enough about how good the mbx5 p5 combo is it makes an average racer like me able to hang with all the fastest guys locally so far i believe this weekend i am qualified 8th in the A main (on the damn bubble) out of a very large field of buggies i think there were 7 full qualifiers (50-70?) and i havent really had a nice clean run yet and the track conditions are horrible with the recent string of thunderstorms

if you dont have one yet it isnt too late
Old 07-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #183
Tech Initiate

Smile

p5's=no good bearing failurs are super high and o-rings AS well rbs7 11 .,..,.,
705guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:22 PM   #184
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 705guy
p5's=no good bearing failurs are super high and o-rings AS well rbs7 11 .,..,.,
Are you talking about the REX P5 version only? or is both purple head Novarossi RX21 P5?
manokgt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:50 AM   #185
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Hey guys for tires check out www.crazynutracing.com he has the medial pro tires and at a good price too.

As for the servo's I love my Airtronics 258's. They are awesome and I haven't had too many problems with them. But I abuse my servos. I ran one in my GT for two years with a carbon fiber steering arm on the servo with no saver at all and it still works great to this day. I'd rather spend 100 on one servo that I know will last than 60 or so on the two you need to buy when you get the cheap ones so that you have backups.

And I can't wait to get my X5. I just need to sell a NTC3 and a motor first.

Jon
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:50 PM   #186
Tech Initiate

all p5's novarossi has a bad batch of bearings even a friend on mine had the siezure in his jp p5 even same bearings there
705guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:11 PM   #187
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

Ran mine for the second time on Saturday. I absolutely love this buggy. It handles bumps much better than my XR did, and jumps much flatter and without as much correction needed. The buggy also seems to be more predictable, and I don't really feel like I need to push it as hard as my XR. I noticed that the buggy lacks a little low speed steering, so I added about 1-1.5* toe-out, and added a little more rear brake bias and that basically took care of that problem, but I'm also not running totally box stock setup, so that could be part of it. Not all the fast guys were there, but the top four of us in expert 1/8 were each a second apart from the next. I took the TQ and the win in the main, which is a first for me in expert. Second place was also an MBX5, followed by two K2's. Can't wait for Pro-Series to roll around here in August so I can see how some of the factory guys are doing with the buggy.
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:04 PM   #188
Tech Elite

705 guy i cant really understand your first post

all i can say is nobody i race with has had trouble #1 with their P5 yet

futaba steering servo broke the same gear again this weekend i guess its going to have to go i hope it will make a good throttle servo

pro series race will be fun but the way they do qualifying was really odd winning your heat is almost the most important thing and i didnt like the heads up start much either but like i said i had a great time

race results in the new RCCA for some big offroad race has 4 mugen drivers in the A main they didnt win but thats the best showing for mugen in a long time

tambok have you raced it yet?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:07 PM   #189
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

PTP :
Not yet, I am still in the process of helping out a noobie ( a very good friend of mine.) who just got bitten by 1/8 off road r/c. I've been training and teaching him a lot so he can race along with me. I've been busy helping my friend and with work. I would go out of my way to help him first than running my new gear .

BTW I am running a Hitec 925MG throttle and Airtronics 94358Z steering....will try out the stock alum. clutch and stock springs......honestly speaking...... I had that setup in my K2 and it sucked......I had to go with carbon shoes (trimmed) and OFNA gold springs(cut) to clear the jumps at the track....that was the best clutch setup ever for my style of driving. The OFNA Race motor is surprisingly awesome.....talk about cheap engines with high performance.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:34 PM   #190
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I have got to tell ya this car is great, I have been paying around with setups and overall am happy with the Chad Bradley setup as a baseline. The lighter oil I go the better the car feels on our rutted up track. A lighter rear sway bar is the first thing I can suggest to help out the car and I am running 25 in front with 20 in the rear (losi oil). Good job mugen on this car , glad I did not get the K Car. I have over 2 gallons on the car with no breakage!
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:03 PM   #191
Tech Elite

dan-o could you post chads setup on here or any other setup you come across

i cant get into s-grid for some reason to get all the good info

or if you got it from somewhere else i would love a link

tambok using the aluminum shoes with the 1.0 springs as the kit comes with gives you alot of bottom end punch i doubt you will have any problems clearing any jumps

ive thought many times about switching because i have too much punch sometimes if the track is loose it can be kinda hard to handle

my current setup is kinda strange from what ive been hearing and reading but makes perfect sense to me i am using the exact setup i used on my mbx4xr on the track i race at

front 40wt shock oil 3k diff w/o-rings and no sway bar
center 5k diff w/o-rings
rear 30wt shock oil 1k diff no o-rings with black sway bar (2.3?)
ive also stretched the wheelbase all the way
oh and the other night i switched the rear hinge pin bushing with the one with the centered hole should give me more of an anti-squat but i couldnt feel the difference
Old 07-22-2003, 07:43 PM   #192
Tech Elite

I run Chad's US Gas Champs setup since it is the setup for my hometrack.....let me see if I can find it.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #193
Tech Elite

#539 of 1470 by CHAD BRADLEY (chadb) on Thu Jun 5 22:39:52 2003:

Here is the set I had on my car at the end of the US Gas Champs at KZ...

Front:
oil...............400wt
pistons...........1.5
spring............grey
preload clips.....5mm
shock pos.........outside on arm, 2 in on tower
shock travel......full
ackerman pos......middle
sway bar..........1.3
upper arm pos.....lower hole
lower arm mount...-2
diff oil..........5000wt no small orings
castor............1mm clip in front, 3mm in rear
camber............-2deg

center
Diff..............7000wt no small orings
breaks............fiberglass
clutch............aluminum, 1.0spring 13tooth

Rear
oil...............350wt
pistons...........1.5
spring............grey
preload clip......5mm
shock pos.........outside on arm, 1 in on tower
rear hub..........lower hole, 4mm spacer in front of hub
camber pos........upper outer pos on hub, inner middle
on
tower
camber............-2.5
antisquat.........mid hole
toe in............3 degree
diff oil..........2000 no small orings
Old 07-23-2003, 10:29 AM   #194
Tech Rookie

Here is another setup from the Grid, I believe this is Jason Ashton

Front:
oil...............350 Mugen oil
pistons...........1.5
spring............Grey
preload clips.....7mm
shock travel......full
ackerman pos......Middle
sway bar..........Stock Silver
upper arm pos.....Upper hole
lower arm mount...-1
diff oil..........5000wt No o-rings
castor............2mm thick clip in front
camber............-2deg

center
Diff..............7000wt No small orings
breaks............stock
clutch............aluminum, 1.0spring 13tooth

Rear
oil...............350wt Mugen
pistons...........1.5
spring............Grey
preload clip......6mm
rear hub..........lower hole, 2mm in front. wheelbase
camber pos........upper outer pos on hub, inner middle
on tower
camber............-2.5
antisquat.........middle hole insert
toe in............3 degree
diff oil..........2000 no small orings
mugenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #195
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Hey guys, are any of you running the 2000wt in the rear. Sorry for the stupid question but are you just mixing half 3K and half 1K or does someone actually make 2K?!
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote