R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Novak "light" motors?

Has anyone heard anything more about the 'light' brushless motors that novak ran at the worlds? not that my car is too heavy with its lipo anyways...
AEoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEoffroader View Post
Has anyone heard anything more about the 'light' brushless motors that novak ran at the worlds? not that my car is too heavy with its lipo anyways...
These motors?

Novak Velociti Light Motors
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks Novak for reading my mind!
I'm sold!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Tech Addict

just curious, what is the difference between Novak's sintered rotor and their 13mm 'tuning' sintered rotor?
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
just curious, what is the difference between Novak's sintered rotor and their 13mm 'tuning' sintered rotor?
From the TeamNovak web site:

Novak is pleased to introduce the #5909 Novak Sintered 13mm Tuning Rotor. This rotor was designed to alter the feel and experience of driving a Novak motor, and offers a new dimension of tunability. With a slightly larger diameter and improved magnetic material, the rotor can withstand a higher temperature threshold, improving its durability. It also increases the natural drag brake and opens up the motorís gearing window to improve drivability. The Sintered 13mm Tuning Rotor is compatible with the Novak Velociti-series, SS Pro-series brushless motors and any Novak 540-size brushless motors with an oversized front end bell bearing.

With its larger diameter, the new Novak Sintered 13mm Tuning Rotor cuts down the air gap in the motor to improve the motorís initial throttle response and natural drag brake. The new magnet material also performs better under extremely hot conditions and high loads.

Sintered 13mm Tuning Rotor
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i want the blue sleeve.

why do we want slower acceleration for? the brushless have alot less torque than its equivlanet brushed motors.

we want more torque from brushed motors please mr novak
magm20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Have u tried a Novak brushless yet?? Cuz there is NO way they have less torque than any brushed motor on this planet.
The first time I blipped throttle mid-air over a jump the car was pointing at the sky
CMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterilus View Post
I didn't like the 13mm for stock truck off-road. In the on-road forum there is a 13mm thread and it seems this rotor is for the 4.5-7.5 motors in on-road. I'm still gonna try it in my 7.5 for mod buggy and see what it's like. Supposed to be more torque. Well, didn't notice that but I did notice top end was slower in back to back comparison. But this is just my thoughts. The other guys with sintered rotors would go past no problems on straights.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMarsh View Post
Have u tried a Novak brushless yet?? Cuz there is NO way they have less torque than any brushed motor on this planet.
The first time I blipped throttle mid-air over a jump the car was pointing at the sky
u probably havent driven a fast brushed motor then

fyi i have 3 novak motors AND tried the bonded, sintered and the new 13mm sintered rotor. that enough for you?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magm20001 View Post
i want the blue sleeve.

why do we want slower acceleration for? the brushless have alot less torque than its equivlanet brushed motors.

we want more torque from brushed motors please mr novak
Of course that only applies at "Bizzarro World Raceway"...'cuz everywhere else in the world, brushed guys are whining about how unfair they are...because they have so much punch and they can pull so much gear.

I think it's a case of operator error. Or crappy batteries...LOL
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Of course that only applies at "Bizzarro World Raceway"...'cuz everywhere else in the world, brushed guys are whining about how unfair they are...because they have so much punch and they can pull so much gear.

I think it's a case of operator error. Or crappy batteries...LOL
yeah brushless plug and play real hard

or maybe you dont know how to tune a mod motor.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
Tech Regular

The 13mm Novak rotor isn't used much in off-road, it's more of an on-road thing. When I tried it in a 2wd car is didn't have as good of a powerband that the standard R motor had for off-road racing and the push brakes were more/too sensitive. If you do try it you need/should gear up 1-2 teeth on the pinion for this rotor then what you use on the R motor. The "light" motors are smoother on the throttle and brakes and work pretty good in off-road. Use the same gearing for the light motors as you would for the standard R motors.
Hot Bodies, HPI, Novak Electronics, JR Propo, Lunsford, Skipgear.com, Planet R/C, Vinyl Graphics Unlimited, JConcepts, B-Mods Racing, CRCRC, King's R/C Raceway, Avid R/C, GMK Supply, & Pacific Coast Hobbies.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Running tuned stock motors or 13.5 brushless, the brushed had more RPM but the Brushless had more torque. 13.5 for smaller tracks, stock for bigger tracks. I found the same thing with the 9 turn that I had which was modified and the 5.5 I ran. The 5.5 had more torque than the 9x2 but the 9x2 had more RPM for higher speed on the straight.

Of course, no radar to actually record this, just lap times and feel.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magm20001 View Post
yeah brushless plug and play real hard

or maybe you dont know how to tune a mod motor.
Maybe you don't know how to plug and play a brushless...LOL I'm a brushless guy...never owned a brushed mod and I never will.

So I wonder why every other brushed guy but you seems to think they have better punch?

You should open a tuner shop...you apparently have a special touch.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
Tech Addict

and whats with novaks description "a softer bottom end will help with off road"

in off road we want lots of torque, in off-road, we need a high torque motor to clear the triples and usually we have a slower corner speed and we therefore need more torque to speed up.

whereas on-road we can sacrafice bottom end for top end