R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #31
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

No turbo I am not planning on going BL anytime soon. I am happy with my "old" technology. Not sure I am ready to jump into the speed control BL motor combo of the week. I know poeple have been saying the same for brushed for years but I guess my point is the BL have not solved the problem in my eyes yet. Yes if you find a combo that works for you it may save money but I keep seeing all these options and changes and what not with these motors. For mod I can run a CP based mod for a whole season with changing brushes once for the life of the motor and $30 changes the arm. I am not saying I will never go BL but I am more then happy with brushes for now.

Sorry guys I did not really try to stur up the pot too much. Just find it funny that the brushless was supposed to be one motor forever and it seems like it is always changing and the BL parts seem to be more expensive then the brushed.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Sorry guys I did not really try to stur up the pot too much. Just find it funny that the brushless was supposed to be one motor forever and it seems like it is always changing and the BL parts seem to be more expensive then the brushed.
They keep releasing new stuff...but that doesn't mean you have to buy them.

Most of the more esoteric tweaks and options are more the more...shall we say..."discerning" users.

Brushed is probably better for you. If you're one of those guys who can feel the difference between a red and green brush coming out of a corner in loose conditions, then you would no doubt appreciate the difference that a softer wind setup would bring to a brushless motor.

I think you could go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of brushless users just want something to screw into the car that you never have to repair/maintain and always makes decent power.

"Cost" is relative...it "cost" me more than a new brushless system the couple times I had new Monsters take a dump at SoCal. Between the wasted trip, wasted parts, broken wheels, gas and the wasted motors, it was easily more than $100 each time. Brushless, for me at least, means more track time, more fun, more reliability, more consistency...and that translates into less wasted entries and gas money.

I would never say it's refined as much as a more "personalized" brush setup...but most of us wouldn't know the difference either way...and the idiot-proof setup works awesome for most of us idiots.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #33
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I would not go as far as calling brushless idot proof that is for ceratian. You of all people should know it is just as hard to put the smoke back in a brushless motor as it is a brushed motor!

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I would not go as far as calling brushless idot proof that is for ceratian. You of all people should know it is just as hard to put the smoke back in a brushless motor as it is a brushed motor!
The only thing I've ever messed up in a brushless motor was an original novak (circa 2003) that had the magnet come loose.

I had one SS GTB die in a spectacular fashion and I killed that XBR at the track when a phase wire came loose and shorted it out...clearly operator error...LOL I do ride my stuff pretty hard...running in the mud at Rev certainly doesn't help either.

Like they say...when they make something more idiot-proof, they always come up with a better idiot.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEoffroader View Post
Has anyone heard anything more about the 'light' brushless motors that novak ran at the worlds? not that my car is too heavy with its lipo anyways...
Light as in less punch, not physical weight. They are suposed to help reduce tire spin and help with traction. Check out Novaks site, there is a good description for you to read.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

17 grams lighter to be exact...
t4ftracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #37
Tech Elite

I finally went brushless and it remains to be seen how I like it compared to my 13X2 checkpoint can motor. I have ran that motor since Feb and only cut it once and if I am not mistaken Turbo I was pulling you on the straights hope I am not the on getting pulled now The great thing is I can always slap a brushed motor in my brushless speed control and thats something I can do the other way around.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer View Post
I finally went brushless and it remains to be seen how I like it compared to my 13X2 checkpoint can motor. I have ran that motor since Feb and only cut it once and if I am not mistaken Turbo I was pulling you on the straights hope I am not the on getting pulled now The great thing is I can always slap a brushed motor in my brushless speed control and thats something I can do the other way around.
Nope...LOL...no you weren't. The track was really dry and if I got on it hard at that end, the car would get squirrelly...so I roll into it to the point where I don't even go near WOT until one-third to halfway down the straight.

I only run a 7.5 in it, so it ain't really all that, but it does haul butt when it needs to. The trick is keeping it off the walls.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #39
Tech Elite

I knew I could lure you out of the cave I'll give you a call tomorrow evening about Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Nope...LOL...no you weren't. The track was really dry and if I got on it hard at that end, the car would get squirrelly...so I roll into it to the point where I don't even go near WOT until one-third to halfway down the straight.

I only run a 7.5 in it, so it ain't really all that, but it does haul butt when it needs to. The trick is keeping it off the walls.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer View Post
I knew I could lure you out of the cave I'll give you a call tomorrow evening about Sunday.
What are you talking about? I'm still in the cave.

I came out to school to get ready for the morning...LOL Just taking a break.