R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (99%+)
Default help with a B4 setup motor esc battery

ok so i picked up my 1st electric car i went with the Associated B4 ive been driving nitro for over 5 years now and decided to pick up an electric for the winter season.

can i have some suggestions on what to upgrade, motor to install what esc or anything else i might need, i was looking into the novak gts or a gtz it also came with a Axiom 27 turn motor i would like to stay in the stock class but havent decided yet any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
Attached Thumbnails
help with a B4 setup motor esc battery-b4andextras.jpg  
jqtopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If it is allowed, I'd say go with a Novak XBR and ss 13.5t pro. Or get the Novak GTB with ss 13.5t pro. For battery, get some 4200s.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqtopa View Post
ok so i picked up my 1st electric car i went with the Associated B4 ive been driving nitro for over 5 years now and decided to pick up an electric for the winter season.

can i have some suggestions on what to upgrade, motor to install what esc or anything else i might need, i was looking into the novak gts or a gtz it also came with a Axiom 27 turn motor i would like to stay in the stock class but havent decided yet any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
Suggesting :

Lrp Competition Esc, Awesome & smaller so it fits better ....

Lrp 13.5 brushless for maintenance free performance....

Orion Carbon 3200 Li-Po battery , the best battery !

Orion Advantage charger, inexpensive compared to the other`s and does the same or more....

Enjoy & have fun !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey I know the guy who sold that car.... races at my track.

It would be a good idea to grab a Novak or LRP brushless esc so you can run a BL motor in the future. But for now the brushed stock would work with these escs. I know some guys who run the Novak XBR combo ($177 at the LHS) and are very competitive with the more expensive 13.5 combos.

You shouldn't need any upgrades for the car, other than running the right tires for your track.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

well dependin on ur budget Would recommend the 13.5 brushless setup. If u decide to stay with brsuhed then I would suggest a Checkpoint motor. A very reliable motor.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What would be a good charger? Do you need a power supply?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Charger would depend on the batteries you are going to use. I would say at a minimum go with one that can be used in the future with lipos. I like my MRC989 as it can do it all. I have also been impressed with the Hyperion top of the line charger as well.

There are however good cheaper alternatives too you can look at. I just don't like to skimp on the charger.

If you are serious about brushed stock, you will most likely need to get yourself a comm lathe too. They can be had used pretty cheap now since everyone is going brushless more and more.

As for ESC, I really like Tekin stuff the best. They have a whole lot of adjustments you can do that are really easy to figure out. Novak is good too, I just like how easier it is to configure the Tekin G series.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Tech Champion

MannEdge,

depends on charger some do others dont. I run a Pitbull X3 charger which requires a power supply.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
Tech Addict

I'll second the superbrain 989...not the top of the line but no power supply to buy. Only problem I've had is at some 100+degree outdoor races charging at over 7amps ...the power supply that comes w/ it got hot and the banna plug/female part inside the ps got hot and slightly melted..it all still works just the plug is off center some... other than that no issues...and I'll prolly buy a second one.

Orion checkpoint motor?... I've had a new 10x1t and hate that pos...damn round brushes...It had a bad 'brush sleeve'..I guess that is what it's called and wasn't smooth, brushes hung right out da box. got tried of the inconsentency and rebuilds, and bought a gtb/5.5. I know that is what the fast guys ran for mod classes before brushless was mainstream with no problems..but not me. I got 2 10t checkpoints for sale. lol.
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
Tech Master

ok so i just purchased this setup what does everyone think about i will be upgrading in the future but since it is my 1st time running would this be fine

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184171
Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
Tech Champion

jqtopa,

that setup will work fine. You can always upgrade later if u want.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Tech Champion

jqtopa,

that setup will work fine. You can always upgrade later if u want.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Tech Master

ok so i have to motors now the axiom 27 and a 19 turn money motor with GTS esc was just wondering how fast the truck would go with each motor
Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqtopa View Post
ok so i have to motors now the axiom 27 and a 19 turn money motor with GTS esc was just wondering how fast the truck would go with each motor
you won't know til you run them.... no one can truly answer how fast it will go. too many varibles..even if the varibles are the same/constant, each motor of the same brand/model is different...fact. If you've ever seen the dyno stickers on say co27 pro motors, none of them will have the same torque, rpm numbers.
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote