R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default 1/10 Offroad Tire and Insert Thread

With a lot of choices out there in regards to tires and inserts,I searched quite a bit in this forum to compile info on tire and insert selection for various conditions.There is some info,but no specific place to pinpoint or look to for those seeking help.

So I thought I would start this thread with a question. What tires would you recommend for a hard packed track that gets a little dusty as the track wears.We will run it watered but it dries fairly quick.I have tried Switch 2.0 and Bobcats in the soft compound.They work pretty well but wear quickly.Anyone have a better recommendation for this condition?

Also,are their cross comparisons between brands of tires,ie, Losi to panther to Proline and these brand compounds?

When it comes to inserts,is there a specific after market insert to run rather then run stock?What conditions would lead you to use these aftermarket inserts?
Thanks in advance.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

M3 holeshots with trinity bomb 1 foam.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
Tech Regular

If softs are working, probably Losi Reds are the way to go. The switch has a higher pin than tapers, but depending on the track sometimes the losi tires are better. x-3000's might be pretty good too. Tread is something you will have to play with and see what works best for you/your track. Some tracks only one tire works on, some like 7 tires work.

For foam on hardpacked tracks, the stiffer the foam the more side bite (to a point), less forward bite, and they are usually worse when it dries out. I say to a point because you can't just stuff a ton of foam in tires and have infinite traction. It's one of those "don't go to extreme" adjustments.
Again you'll have to figure out where the "middle" point is for foams like tires.
Here's a brief list of the foams and my opinion of order soft to stiff (feel free to correct/disagree): losi firm, proline white, trinity bomb 2 (white/grey), trinity bomb one (grey), proline preglued 2 stage, trinity blue/white, trinity blue, proline grey.

Be careful with the losi stock inserts, there are actually 2 different types, the yellow and the white. The yellows don't hold up very well but are actually a touch stiffer.

Get curious and try things.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Tech Champion

DanGriffin,

Very interested on tires and foam.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Tech Legend

No insert is the best

rather

it is like this ....

low traction conditions or bumpy = softer inserts

high traction & smooth = harder inserts
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use bomb1's in everything.
hated1racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Tech Regular

For tracks where slicks are used,I have cut 1/8th scale moulded foams to fit 1/10th scale buggy wheels. I have had good luck with it.It really keeps the car from rolling over on the rear tire.The width is the same ,you just need to cut a section out of the foam.Then I glue the foam to the wheel.
indaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indaway View Post
For tracks where slicks are used,I have cut 1/8th scale moulded foams to fit 1/10th scale buggy wheels. I have had good luck with it.It really keeps the car from rolling over on the rear tire.The width is the same ,you just need to cut a section out of the foam.Then I glue the foam to the wheel.
Now that's an ideal I never thought of... I looked and looked for 10th scale molded foams...don't exist.

I haven't tried alot of different inserts, ususally the prolines tires I get, the inserts are good for our indoor track...similar to the thread start...get looser as it dries out....

On an outdoor somewhat loose track I had some (on the t4 running 5.5 bl) PL lugnuts, I got a pair of PL dual stages to run and the dual stages were like posted, laking in the forward traction compared to the standard white PL inserts...problem was the good tires (white foams), one wheel came loose and ate the wheel.. I had to run the dual stagers and had to baby the throttle compared to the softer.
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I posted a question just several days ago about whether I can get away with just having a few basic tire types, but always have fresh versions of them. It seemed like the final answer is just to have all kinds of tires because you never know what will work better.

Maybe it is just the penny-pincher in me (wait, racing isn't compatible with penny-pinching), but I like Losi tires in that they are a bit cheaper, plus their foam is normally pretty usable compared to the ProLine foam (which save buying that extra foam) -- although somebody just said above that they use the ProLine foam.

I had been using holeshots on a dry smooth track (hey, I can't try everything in one day, so that's just what I happened to have on at that time), then the track loosened up over the days'weeks as more moisture got into the dirt and let it fluff up, so I had to get out the step pins. Then I saw the advice to have lots of tire types. Then I picked up a pair of silver IFMAR studs in the 40% off bin at the LHS -- they worked so much better on that dirt, that I guess I do have to try more tire types to know what I'm missing.

I never could figure out the BK Bar. Just by looking at it, I thought is this a gimmic tire. But then I read a lot of people use them on smooth dry tracks in Red with maybe blockhead or red taper in front (4wd). I'm just trying to figure it out, not having any tire sponsorship, not being around a real racing crowd for the class I like to race in.

I like to look at the Losi Tire Chart, but I guess it doesn't tell the whole story -- there are some tires on the chart that seem perfect for everything and some that are rated poorly for everything. It would be nice to have a more complete chart of what each tire might be good for.
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
Now that's an ideal I never thought of... I looked and looked for 10th scale molded foams...don't exist.
Panther makes pre molded 1/10th scale truck foams! They work good too!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Bobwoodhouse - a complete tire guide and what they are good for is (I'm guessing) nearly impossible. Sometimes tires are designed for one thing, and they are decent at it..but they are even better at something else.
For instance, in the midwest on looser tracks we often use x-2000 or x-3000 tires. However, some run them on super highbite tracks like hot rod or ARCOR.

BK Bars look goofy, yes, but are *really* for blue groove, high tire wear tracks. They last longer than any other tire on this surface. But again...never know, might want to try them on your track
Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGriffin View Post
Bobwoodhouse - a complete tire guide and what they are good for is (I'm guessing) nearly impossible. Sometimes tires are designed for one thing, and they are decent at it..but they are even better at something else.
For instance, in the midwest on looser tracks we often use x-2000 or x-3000 tires. However, some run them on super highbite tracks like hot rod or ARCOR.

BK Bars look goofy, yes, but are *really* for blue groove, high tire wear tracks. They last longer than any other tire on this surface. But again...never know, might want to try them on your track
Those BK Bars are different. I thought those tires would be done after one night of racing. But seeing people run them, and using them myself, it changed my mind. somewhat impressed really.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

BK Bars are the best on my track they last longer then the foams and i feel they give the best feel for the car. comparable to taper pins but last way longer. No Gimmick. weird looking but good performance.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
Tech Champion

I used BK Bars and they work good.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Today I tried x2000 in pink and Blockheads in red up front.The rear is alright,not stuck but not sliding all over the place either.The track is dry,swept and hard packed.Little bit of dust.Looking at the Bk bars,these look like these maybe the ticket for this condition.Anyone have experience with these in this type of condition and what compound should I try?
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote