R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   3 shoe clutch (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/18306-3-shoe-clutch.html)

SteveA 05-15-2003 05:03 PM

3 shoe clutch

Whats the main advantage to a three shoe clutch over a 2 shoe, like the new K2 3 shoe aluminum clutch, or are the teflon sheos better the the aluminum shoes?

SteveA 05-17-2003 07:17 PM

anyone??

au_Nightmare 05-17-2003 09:08 PM

More surface contact , less slip :) can take more power.. I have had no experience with alu. shoes.

lineburner 05-18-2003 06:53 AM

The alloy shoes are a lot more work, as they ware they roll the edges out which catches on the flywheel so they don't disengage. To prevent this you have to shim them away from the flywheel & chamfer the edge of the shoes. I couldn't tell you if they where any better because I couldn't tell the difference?? Not only are they more work but they are also dearer. Go for the white Mugen shoes there much more user friendly:D

au_Nightmare 05-18-2003 01:32 PM

I didn't even think about the mushroom effect but it makes sence. I have read they are more work and that must be why. I think I will be sticking to the black shoes with strong springs :)

KINGZJ 05-19-2003 02:40 AM

I personally am not a fan of the alum shoes infact after trying them I took them out however their are some advantages to them. They do not heat up the clutchbell very much at all and the clutch bearings last much longer they also seem to grab the bell a bit better but the tradeoff is not worth the hassel that is for sure. the mugen shoes are not a direct fit on the k2 you need to drill the holes out to make them fit. If you don't want to run the alum shoes then I would sugest using kyosho shoes they last forever. If you want a little more punch then go to the ofna 1.1 spring

au_Nightmare 05-19-2003 02:44 AM

In my CB I was using 2 flanged and 2 normal 5x8 bearings (yes 4 total) this lasted a lot longer then my mates stock setup's (2 flanged) but now we are using a different CB that takes 5x10 bearings, have not killed one bearing yet :) :)

Thanks for the info, ill stick to the normal shoes:)

BOWTIE1 05-20-2003 12:56 PM

i have had the alun shoes i do nt like then that is just me i am runn 3 sho set up with 1.1 springe and i have then drilled it reves up a lil to help it not to load up on the line as much the 3 she is better i have ran 2 shos like au_Nightmare said More surface contact , less slip can take more power.. I have had no experience with alu. shoes.

university_dave 05-21-2003 11:38 AM

Well, with 3 shoes you can set the clutch up much harder than a 2 shoe clutch. The engine will therefore rev higher before the clutch engages and you will get more acceleration as a result.

I've found Mugen's aluminium clutch shoes to be perfect on my MP 7.5 Kanai. They fit exactly onto the K-Factory flywheel without any drilling. Drill a 2-3mm hole in to the top of the shoes for even more punch out of corners as it lightens the shoes even more. I've had no reliability problems, and have done the best part of a national season on the same shoes, springs and bearings as a result.

Be careful on the throttle and use a brand new clutch bell when you first use them. They need to get a black coating on them from the inside of the clutch bell before they'll work correctly, before they've gained this coating the clutch will slip. About 1/2 a tank at no more than 1/2 throttle should be sufficient.

td-civ 05-21-2003 12:01 PM

i have had aluminium shoes and have no probs with them in my car :D :D :D

BOWTIE1 05-21-2003 02:51 PM

i had then in my ke 1 and they sratted to hang up and get bur's on them i still hae them i just dont run then no more....