R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Tune71
Default 19 Turn Vs Brushless

Ok guys,

I had a bit of a look around for a thread on this but couldnt find the info I wanted.
Whats the general concensus on the equality between the 19turn motors and the brushless motors that are out as a direct class replacement such as the Novak/Lrp 10.5.
Whats got an advantage?
How so?
What can we do about it?
Is anyone aplying weight penalties to the brushless runners if they have an advantage?
Remember this is strictly off road.
Tune71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Brushless motor can gear up to under 80 Deg to work !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

i'm running my 13.5ss in my RB5 in the 19t class and keeping up just fine.....way fine!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Try to think of it at a different angle. Remember vynil records, 8 tracks, cassette tapes, CD's, mp3, and now I pod.

Its progression and just like any thing else you will always have hard core followers, but eventually times and things change.

Its just one of those things sooner than later, especially when the prices start to come down a little. (like plazma tv's)

Eventually everyone will be running brushless and lipo batteries. It will just take time.

As for the benefits, The biggest difference that I noticed is the battery life is prolonged, and the maintnance is less. Other than that they are comparable in speed, to me any ways.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

you gear the 19's right there just as fast. I like brushless I dont have to worry about maintenance anymore. Thats the main advantage.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I've watched a lot of races and I feel that the 4300 is more equivalent to a stock motor that has been taken care of, has good brushes and is sprung right and that the 13.5 is more like an out of the package stock motor without much done to it. A good 19 turn that is taken care of and is tuned right will be faster than the 10.5 but will be more maintenance. I wouldn't put a weight restriction on either because that'll just be more traction to put the power down.
alexb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Tune71

Cool,

Keep the answers comin. Im just trying to sort out a formula which will be right and fair for all. I dont have brushless but I'm not against it, just want some parity so there is a fair playing field for the idea I have. I think its funny that LRP have rated their motors completely different to Novak in that LRP say 15.5 is stock, 13.5 is 23 turn, 10.5 as the 19turn.
As one of you have already said a Novak 13.5 with a sintered in it can take on a 19turn no worries, it's starting to get a bit cloudy as to what brushless to put up against the komodo and still give both the chance to win.
Tune71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone that tells you a brushed 19t is just as fast as brushless, is a liar. I "had" nothing but the best motors and batteries and i could not keep up with brushless motors. The brushless motors have alot more torque, and don't go flat.
MikeFriery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

last few weeks at my track....there is one brushed guy that is wicked fast and one brushless guy that is equally fast....I watch them race nose to tail every minute of every race for a while now. 19t vs. 13.5ss...so close that in the end, one of them has to force the issue because you can't get around the other one. that's enough for me to see that they're equal.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Tech Elite

we run 19t (fixed timing) vs 5800/10.5 on high bite dirt oval. granted these guys are not your magazine names but they manage to keep it even every weekend. just depends on your desired motor maintenance level. a thermalling brushless motor does you no good, as does an overheated brushed motor.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

at our track a good brushed 19t is faster than our 10.5 motors ,brushed and brushless are allowed to run in 19t.

i dont see either as an advantage .

by the way novak is punchier and orion is smoother

hope this helps

joe
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
Anyone that tells you a brushed 19t is just as fast as brushless, is a liar. I "had" nothing but the best motors and batteries and i could not keep up with brushless motors. The brushless motors have alot more torque, and don't go flat.
I'm sorry if you dont believe me but the track record in stock truck at our track was set by a 27 turn NIMH battery and the record was a half a lap faster than his previous record. You just have to know how to tune them.
alexb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run a Novak GTB 13.5 and it really isn't any faster on the top end than the guys running brushed stock at my track. However, the starting torque is out of this world. It's like having that brand new matched pack punch all the time on old batteries.

By the way, I agree with the guys post above. My lap time have not gone down with this motor. In fact, I was about a half second faster with my brushed stocker. However, I am not the type who likes doing maintenance on my motors. I hope my lap times eventually drop because I will be able to practice more.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb2000 View Post
I've watched a lot of races and I feel that the 4300 is more equivalent to a stock motor that has been taken care of, has good brushes and is sprung right and that the 13.5 is more like an out of the package stock motor without much done to it. A good 19 turn that is taken care of and is tuned right will be faster than the 10.5 but will be more maintenance. I wouldn't put a weight restriction on either because that'll just be more traction to put the power down.
what!! the 4300 is way faster than stock, I have seen it and driven 4300s/10.5s and 19 turn motors and they are very close and on most tracks would be about equal lap times.

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

What is the main amount of guys who are going to run? Is it alot of brushed versus brushless or the other way around.

I would say find a brushless motor that seems to be just a tad slower than 19T, and allow that. It avoids complaining by brushed guys, and it gives the brushed guys alittle something for having to do tuning work that the brushless guys don't.

To me, I would rather avoid the maintenance and need to drive cleaner line to win than having the very fastest motor which is a 1 run beauty and a maintenance nightmare for club racing.