R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-23-2007, 02:41 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Power Supply Repairs

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemid=O-IP2002

Hello all,

I have been using this power supply for about 5 months now and today it stopped working. I wasn't there when it quit, i was up on the driver's stand. Just wanting to know if anyone knows of an on-line electronics info site? I'm comfortable working on these things and since it seems dead now, I'd like to try to find out how I can repair it. But I need diagrams, flowcharts, resistor/transistor info. If I can fix it then cool. If not then no biggie to me.

Also any suggestions for a good PS. I race electric every weekend and charge the batts for my nitro cars also. I use the ICE charger but I need a second ICE for winter electric. One charger just isn't enough. So I'd like to have a PS that has dual outputs. The dual outputs is not a requirement though cause I could use a distribution box. So any reccomendations by you people would be awesome.
Thanx

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Try by opening it up and look around. Could be a simple such as a shorted board you can bridge or perhaps they have a fuse that blew. In the end I don't think it will be worth it to repair unless it is something simple. Check this sight out. You should be able to diagnose what happened and see if a repair is worth it. It is VERY dangerous to work on one of these when they are powered up and it is not recomended for you to repair this if you dont have any experience dong so.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm

I converted computer power supplies I had lying around. If you have a good power supply for a PC laying around give it a shot. If it is an el cheapo power supply I wouldn't bother. The voltage on the cheaper PS drop way to far when more than one charger is hooked up. The difference in output between my Antec 30W and the generic 30w is very significant.

Last edited by JamesnMeyer; 09-23-2007 at 06:04 PM.
JamesnMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Thanx for the info. I got my board apart and out of the case but I find nothing noticeable wrong with it. I tested almost the whole thing to make sure the voltages were correct and I found a small section with too low of voltage. So I traced this back to the negative AC power wire. When I unsolder the white(negative) wire the voltage comes back up to 121v. And when I solder the white back on I only get 1.8v. What's up there? I made a new power wire, including new plug, and got the same results. It's weird. All the components read correctly as far as voltage goes, but it wouldn't turn on.

My new problem. On the output jacks, I forgot to write down wich one is + and -. I'm afraid to wire it up reversed and fry my charger. Having trouble determining which output is + and which is -.

I like the website though. Lots of info and reading. I appreciate it.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Tech Elite

For the out put jack just hook up a voltmeter to it grounding the negative portion to the chasis and the positive to the output. As for the other issue, it could be a cap or filter that has dried or gone bad. Check all the caps and see if any are bulging or have leaked. Look there as that should be were the issue lies.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Thank you. So the voltmeter will show polarity on DC current? I'm gonna look closer when I get home tonight and do some more investigating. Maybe I missed one of the little caps when I was checking for something out of normal.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 10-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Tech Elite

did you get it fixed?
Old 10-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Nope. I'm kind of at a stand still. I started to desolder pieces to test them. I have tested several things and all are ok. So I'm still lost. I ordered another Power Supply today and I'm going to keep working on this one just to find out what's wrong.

When testing polarity of my output jacks, I was getting 13volts. But it was AC voltage and not DC. So I figured the rectifier bridge was the culprit. But from what I read on these, this one is fine. I have tested several capacitors. So far so good. IDK. Plus I'm still learning how to use all the functions on a multimeter. I've only used mine for testing house circuits and automobiles. Haven't done much testing when diving into the heart of a product. LOL.

Thanx for asking.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce