R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
Great explanation. I think I'm finally understanding how it works - and seeing that there's more to anti-squat than simply weight transfer.
But two more questions: 1) On a bumpy track with low grip, to get more forward traction under acceleration is it more or less anti-squat (I've seen both arguments in this thread) and 2) does anti-squat work different in on-road, as all the on-road set-ups I've seen (including the XXX Main, which is a great source of info) say LESS anti-squat equals MORE rear grip on-power.
Thanks again.
1) On a bumpy track you'd be inclined to reduce anti-squat because in that situation you DO want the tires & chassis to move in the same direction, to absorb the bumps rather than hit them. If the suspension absorbs all of the bumps it'll help keep the chassis level and the ride smooth. If you've ever seen a 1:1 desert racer go flying through a straight whoops section at 90mph you'll see what I mean: The tires are going up and down like crazy but the chassis stays in pretty much the same stance.

2) can't help you there, I'm almost purely an offroad guy
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltapdout View Post
Would the best position be with the rear arms setting as level and possible for a rough low bite track?
I would suggest just trying different positions and seeing what works best for you and your laptimes rather than trying to make a blanket statement. Driver A could be running 4 deg of anti-squat with a different dampening, spring package, and driving style than Driver B with 0 deg of anti-squat in his/her setup. Both drivers could be turning the same lap times on the track.
jkirkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
If you've ever seen a 1:1 desert racer go flying through a straight whoops section at 90mph you'll see what I mean: The tires are going up and down like crazy but the chassis stays in pretty much the same stance.
Case-in-point, check out some of the bigger buggies & trucks in this clip of the 2007 Mojave Desert Racers FUD 200 from FlatWheel Productions:

MDR FUD 200

The idea in a desertracer is the suspension is just stiff enough to keep the chassis from bottoming out. The less motion the tires transfer to the chassis the better.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #19
Tech Elite

OK let's see if this helps explain my case:
Attached Thumbnails
Anti-squat question-no-antisquat.jpg   Anti-squat question-antisquat.jpg