R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

I guess the thing to do is we all need to run nitro.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you think one cell is bad... i had 8 go off! doh just because the cells were drawing 1 amp i decided to leave them 3 hours (2800 cells). they must have started drawing 6 amps and BOOM like a shotgun going off in my garage. won't be doing that again...
Old 09-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
I guess the thing to do is we all need to run nitro.
Haha, now you're talking!!! Everybody go get a gas truck!!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
Haha, now you're talking!!! Everybody go get a gas truck!!
Then you just have to deal with the stupid reciever packs and starter box batteries. I've never understood why gas guys complain about batteries when they have more batteries to mess with than we do.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Then you just have to deal with the stupid reciever packs and starter box batteries. I've never understood why gas guys complain about batteries when they have more batteries to mess with than we do.
Woooaa dude.. Calm down you're starting to sound like Jim.
I have equal number of electrics as I do gas cars. I'm not one of those guys who hates electric. I actually love running one gas and one electric class on a raceday opposed to two gas classes or two electric classes. I'm just a fan of racing doesn't matter the power source.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
Woooaa dude.. Calm down you're starting to sound like Jim.
I have equal number of electrics as I do gas cars. I'm not one of those guys who hates electric. I actually love running one gas and one electric class on a raceday opposed to two gas classes or two electric classes. I'm just a fan of racing doesn't matter the power source.

I'm sorry, I hadn't intended to finger you directly...and I'm sure you've heard it at the track yourself, right? I just always thought it was crazy when I heard it.

I tried it for a while and it struck me immediately that the battery situation was much more tedious with gas than electric. I was always having to charge something...igniters, reciever packs, starter boxes, transmitters...with electric, you have two things to charge...car and radio. If it won't move, it's broke.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
If it won't move, it's broke.
I like that, true and funny.
Yeah, I've heard nitro guys make ignorant comments about electric. Actually I think I probably made some myself when I very first started racing and the only thing I had was a gas truck. Now I just really love both of em. Always think it's funny the look new people get when I tell them an electric will be faster than a nitro if that's what a person is aiming for.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've never had any problems with nimh cells, but I've never owned anything over 3300 mah either.

I have seen several fires caused by nicad cells, even had one myself when I connected a 4 cell sub C pack to a motor with a shorted arm I had in my breakin stand. One of the cells started burning on the crimped end so I ran to the sink and put it under water from the tap but it didn't go out. I quickly took it outside and buried it in one of my wife's flower pots. The other fires I've seen were all on the track from various causes.

I've never seen or heard any stories about battery explosions in my local area though.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
I've never understood why gas guys complain about batteries when they have more batteries to mess with than we do.
.they're probably complaining about the COST of the batteries to be competitive........i never complain 'bout all my packs.......part of the game.....
Old 09-17-2007, 03:27 AM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhm555 View Post
I've never had any problems with nimh cells, but I've never owned anything over 3300 mah either.
You probably will not have a problem with 3300s. The problems all seem to start or happen more often when the cell technology went over 4000+ mahs per cell that shows they have pushed the technology too far and sacraficed safety for performance.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
You probably will not have a problem with 3300s. The problems all seem to start or happen more often when the cell technology went over 4000+ mahs per cell that shows they have pushed the technology too far and sacraficed safety for performance.
There are many reasons why batteries blow and just because he charges at 4 amps doesnt mean he didnt short it previously, soldered over vents, dropped it, or got it to hot when soldering. Yes there are some bad cells out of the box but more often than not it is user error that causes them to explode.

I have been using the EP 4200 and have had no issues other than one that I caused when I shorted the battery assembling it. I was able to catch the bad cell early by following the matchers instrctions for first time use. Other than that I have had no issues with my EP4200 and I abuse the heck out of them.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All I can say is that I have been racing for about 20 years and I have never personally seen anything more than a hissing cell a couple times. Nothing. The same goes with a bunch of friends who have also been in the hobby for 15-20 years.

Of course it does happen... I even heard about a cell popping at a local race last winter. Just putting it in perspective. Also... consider the hundreds of thousands of cells used in this hobby... and the millions of cells in things like cordless drills. I don't think we need to run for our lives.

Yes, same goes for lipos... although you have to be dense to not agree that there has been more issues with lipos in the hobby and outside the hobby. It's just a fact, sorry. Lipos have made a few headlines... dont think the same can be said about nickels.

Now... I have been using lipos for I think 3 years now... and have a pile of them, including some that I have ripped out of things like laptops and cell phones. I have screwed up a couple packs with mishaps like shorting the cell/pack and effectively killed it. And I have intentionally cut a 4000mah cell in half just to see inside. But so far I have never had any issues, no fire, no smoke, nothing.
Score:
nickel 0
lipo 0
Old 09-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #28
Tech Master

I was doing a little more research on another forum trying to find the post where the guy saved losing an eye because he was wearing glass when a nickel pack blew up while charging and there was another case where a guy was charging nickel packs unattended burning down his house.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

By far the worst nickel pack blowup I've seen was a year or two ago. I was racing nitro but they had enough electric cars show up to make a class. This was also while they were in the process of building a banked dirt oval on the other side of the driver's stand from the offroad track. The track was almost done, but the drain in the middle of the infield, not so much. It's a pond the size of a small car, and I've got my little tent set up probably 30 yards away.

I'm going about my business working on my truck when I see this guy come in a full sprint across the pit area. I mean, he is suspect-has-bailed-out-on-foot HAULING it towards the oval track. He skids to a stop just short of the outside turn 1 wall and I see him toss something into the water. No sooner does it go under when POW, it blows up, and I could swear a split second later I hear something go *plink* off one of the metal legs of my tent. I go wandering over there thinking it was a firecracker (I know almost for a fact the track owner has M80's stashed under the signup counter), when the guy wades into the infield and pulls out what's left of a 6 cell side-by-side pack. A couple of hearty "holy s**t dude"'s later I make my way back to my pit and notice something in the grass. It's the outer casing of a battery, with a bar still soldered to the positive end and nothing on the negative end, just a hollow shell. Then I remembered that metallic *plink* noise... "oh, wow." From where I was standing, about a foot to the left and we'd have been digging it out of my forehead.

But I'm with glassdoctor. I've been doing this for 7 years now, most of it 1/10th electric, and I've seen a couple of nasty ventings and one or two popped cells (one of which I recall was due to plugging the battery lead into the charger backwards), but nothing that would lead me to believe they were dangerous, even when left in the hands of power-greedy people.

Now when Lipo's go wrong...that's officially considered a "bomb" in my book.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
I was doing a little more research on another forum trying to find the post where the guy saved losing an eye because he was wearing glass when a nickel pack blew up while charging and there was another case where a guy was charging nickel packs unattended burning down his house.
You should never leave these charging unattended. That goes for both Lipo and NiMh.