R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Too Many or Too Few Tires

I had a slightly challenging time hooking up (1/10th 4wd) at an outdoor track that just started having cooler weather, so the clay was actually starting to produce some fluff in addition to its normal "chunks" and rocks. I would have thought a mini-pin would be about right. Taper pins weren't quite deep enough. Holeshots were surprisingly not the best. I had to punt and throw on some fresh step-pins, which produced the fewest surprises around the track.

So I was thinking about my tire corral. Should I add more types. Really I would rather have about 3 or 4 tire sets, so I wouldn't have too many in my box. Then I could worry about keeping fresh tires instead of so many types of tires.

I am thinking that these sets might work:
1) Losi silver Step pins (rear) and Losi silver IFMAR Studs (fr) for loamy or kind of loose/wet or sandy outdoors stuff.
2) A set of Holeshots (Rear & fr) for normal hard, dry outdoor stuff
3) slicks for indoor clay tracks.

Are there situations where I would be missing out if I only had these 3 sets, but in fresh condition. Maybe I forgot about blue grovve because I haven't been on one around my area. Any other approaches?
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse View Post
I had a slightly challenging time hooking up (1/10th 4wd) at an outdoor track that just started having cooler weather, so the clay was actually starting to produce some fluff in addition to its normal "chunks" and rocks. I would have thought a mini-pin would be about right. Taper pins weren't quite deep enough. Holeshots were surprisingly not the best. I had to punt and throw on some fresh step-pins, which produced the fewest surprises around the track.

So I was thinking about my tire corral. Should I add more types. Really I would rather have about 3 or 4 tire sets, so I wouldn't have too many in my box. Then I could worry about keeping fresh tires instead of so many types of tires.

I am thinking that these sets might work:
1) Losi silver Step pins (rear) and Losi silver IFMAR Studs (fr) for loamy or kind of loose/wet or sandy outdoors stuff.
2) A set of Holeshots (Rear & fr) for normal hard, dry outdoor stuff
3) slicks for indoor clay tracks.

Are there situations where I would be missing out if I only had these 3 sets, but in fresh condition. Maybe I forgot about blue grovve because I haven't been on one around my area. Any other approaches?
Well, I certainly don't think you have too many. The only other one I might mention is for indoor clay as well. While slicks seem to work great for me when the track is moist and grippy, if it starts to dry out, I keep both a set of half pin pink tapers and full pin pink tapers for the rear. In the front I use a full pin Panther Bobcat clay compound for dryer conditions.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

For 4wd and 2wd, I liked how the proline M3 compound step-pins performed on loamy and varying conditions. had a 4wd front set made for me one time, worked great too.

I would usually have the following in my box above the standard holeshot when you need a bigger pin (note, you may need to make some fronts:

1. IFMAR Studs
2. Step-pins
3. Big Shots

This should pretty much cover the range out there. The thing I like about the step better than the other two is when conditions are such that a big shot is too small, the step does the job. When the studs are too long, the little pin part of the step bites right in. Unless the track is like rock, steps work well when the conditions vary I am finding.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
TLRacing

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Red Big Shots are my friend
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Tech Elite

I don't see BigShots coming up at the LPH site for a long time. They just re-stocked on other tires, so I am ordering up. According to the Team Losi Tire Chart, you would think that Pink X-2000s (maybe 3000s now) with silver taper pins would be the best all-around hard track combo.

I have other tires in my box right now, but it's like this: I have a set of square fuzzies in their bag. Now if they work for me, I want to have more of them because they wear down quick. On the other hand, if they don't work for me, why do I even have one pair. I haven't had the motivation to buy all of BK Bars, x-3000, blockheads, studs, bow ties, etc. to try running each of them at various tracks -- I would end up with quite a few 1-run tires sitting around doing nothing, I guess.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If you run at tracks where holeshots work, pick up a set of blockheads. They just feel a bit more consistent for me. I have a set of (rare) front Sprints from Losi, they seemed to work anywhere.

I take with me always these (to a new track):

Rear Tires:

Panther Pumas
Losi Big Shot/Ifmar Pins
Losi Ifmar Studs
Losi Taper Pins/Panther Switch
Proline Holeshots
Proline Bowties

Front Tires:

Cut Panther Pumas
Cut Losi Big Shots/Ifmar Pins
Losi Ifmar Studs
Losi Taper pins/Panther Bobcat (I think)
Proline Holeshots
Losi Sprints/Blockheads

I usually carry a set of X-2000/3000's with me, BK Bars (I have a track I run on that uses them anyways) and anything odd or weird I find (currently I have some Tamiya Dark Impact tires, nice design, but too hard for most tracks I race at)
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i would have to agree, i ordered a pair of blockheads on my last lph order, and to be honest the only reason i got them is they look so damn cool. i tryed them out at hot rod hobbies, both in the dry and wet i feel they are alot more predictable than the front tapers. they seem to give a bit more on power steering as well as less under steer. not to mention they have very good wear characteristics even in red compound. i also called up losi to see if they had any thing like the sprints in the works or something to compete with holeshots, but they said they didnt have a demand for those tires. but in my opinion we need more choices for 4wd fronts. something a little more aggressive than tapers, but not quite pins. the blockheads are the closest thing right now, but don't work everywhere.

xxxcr
xxx4
xx4
raceGEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Tech Elite

I take it those are blockheads in silver.

Is there much difference between the pins, holeshots, pumas,and a x-2000 -- the pins look about the same sizes.

I just checked lph and their stock levels were down to zero. What is that? [EDIT: they had a technical difficulty on the site]

Last edited by BobWoodhouse; 09-15-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add a note
Old 09-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Tech Addict

there is a bit of a difference, pins work well in broken up surface. i like holeshots for a damp track, great traction. the blockheads i was referring too were actually red compound, i was quite surprised by their durability. i found that after they wore a bit, they worked a bit better on a dry dusty track, and when they are new with deeper tread, works great on damper or deeper dirt. kinda like scrubbed buggy fronts.

xxxcr
xxx4
xx4
raceGEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

I subscribe to the theory that you can NEVER have too many tires
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote: