Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/proje...imate-rustler/
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)
Send a message via AIM to megasaxon Send a message via Yahoo to megasaxon

the best thing you can do to your rustler is to sell it and buy a real race truck, like a T4 or XXXT
megasaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking rusty

you can get some nice rustler gear from these sites

http://www.rc-monster.com/search.php

http://www.fastlanemachine.com/PublicPortal/
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megasaxon View Post
the best thing you can do to your rustler is to sell it and buy a real race truck, like a T4 or XXXT
I was going to try to say it in a nicer way, but in a nutshell, this is what you should do. Trying to make a race-worthy Rustler is a waste of time and money. You will only be chasing your tail...and the T4's. I've seen some fantastic race setup Rustlers. They still don't measure up to a stock XXXT or T4.
happywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know that my rustler is super fast, about as fast as 4wd nitro on straights, but man my rustler is hard to keep in a straight line!! I was told to replace the standard diff, with a ball diff... And this will help the vehicle coming out of turns....

Ne one else know if the ball diff will help a loose rustler?
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking balls n all

id say it would help. thats why all the losi and AE cars and trucks run them (electric)
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Pass on the ball diff and save you money for other hop-ups; it's just too fragile. Just fill the stock gear diff with thick, black marile grease. That should give you the action you're looking for, and I bet you will not be able to tell a difference. And whateve you do, do NOT buy aluminum parts. I cannot think of a bigger waste of money, period. They are also heavier than the stock parts, which is the last you want to do. Screw bling, it's for "armchair racers". The best mods you can do for it are Jangification, get big bores, and do the nitro front spindle conversion and get turnbuckles. The conversion allows you to use front wheels with bearings in them like Associated adn Losi instead, which is much freer rolling. You will gain extra width in the front with the conversion, so get some nitro rear arms to put on the back (which are slightly whorter to allow you to use more offset rear wheels), with the original front offset wheels (not tires though), and nitro rear bearing carriers for that little bit of width to make everything even. Pass on the RPM goodies, there's better parts to use for a racing setup. Then assuming you're going to upgrade to a better motor, or even brushless, you'll need the VXL steel idler gear. You will strip the plastic idler immediatly with a hotter motor, and probably will eventually with the Titan. The steel idler is under $3 and will save you lots of headaches. Then of course you will need a set of quality bearings, I recommend TBS. Of course this is all assuming you will keep the Rustler in the long run. I love mine, and wouldn't sell it as I've sunk too much money into it, and it's a effing fun bash truck. But I wouldn't hesitate to spent the money on a T4 if I was planning on racing. Hope this helps, and please PM me if you have any further questions!
kavvika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ERustler

Dont get CVDs unless the driveshafts break... there pretty durable and work well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is no such thing as budget RC.
ERustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Seems as though every time I read a Rustler thread everyone says to get a different truck.

I beg to differ with that opinion. While the T4's and Losi's are more adjustable and possibly more race oriented there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Rustler. Hell, I run a new VXL and with a decent set of tires, soft rear springs, and some fine tuning I have no problem whatsoever keeping up with the other guys. As a matter of fact I've gained a lot of respect at my local track from guy's that thought the same about the Rustler. BTW, the Rustler is a little heavier, but also a buttload more durable and sometimes it's the guy that finishes the race who wins. I run AE also and have nothing against them, I've also always said I'd never buy an RTR, but I did and I think some other people need to be a little more open minded about Traxxas products. The truck can be competitive at any club level, relatively low start-up cost, parts are easy to get and inexpensive, and you can go brushless rtr with the vxl for $250. Buy yourself a $20 spring set, and some soft rubber and then watch the AE and Losi drivers look on in awe
BADAZZPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't knock anyone if they want to hook up a certain vehicle--but there really is no comparison comparing a Rustler to a T4 or xxx cr. I don't think the Traxxas products are more durable--I would say they are less durable. Cheap, flexy plastic, horrible plastic motor "plate", crappy shocks, the traxxas ball diff is a joke--its probably the worst ball diff I have ever had the displeasure of building. Everything about a modern Associated or Losi allows it to lap a race track faster than the Traxxas stuff.

Once you start running a T4 or something like it, you will never want to run your Rustler or Bandit in a race ever again. I used to have a Stampede that I sunk a bunch of money int0--great bash truck, alot of fun--but Rustlers, Bandits and Stampedes just cannot compete with equal drivers using B4s, and T4s.

"The truck can be competitive at any club level" come bring your Rustler down where we race and you will show up the next time with a T4 or Cr.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I'm in NJ and I see you'e in NY. Let me know where you race, and if it's not too far I would be glad to show up. Offroad or Oval, if you can lap me with your Losi or T4 I will bow down graciously. I do agree with the motor plate, but that's an easy fix with a FLM part. Again, I think a lot has to do with the driver and how well the truck is set up for the track. So the T4 has a fancy aluminum plate to mount the motor to, what's the plate bolted to? I said club racing because I would agree it wouldn't be cometitive in a pro race, but how many of us here are lucky enough to do this with sponsers, and earn money off it? We do it for fun, and good spirited competition and I've seen my fair share of big money cars left in the dust by a piece of junk with the right driver and setup.
BADAZZPSD is offline   Reply With Quote