R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Predator X-10 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/179518-predator-x-10-a.html)

Cain 09-30-2007 07:45 AM

I am curious on your setup advice for the X-10 then as it seems common consensus that the vehicles are a bear on rough or big jump tracks.

The design looks like it would really handle smooth surfaces, just curious on the rough.

taztal3 09-30-2007 11:02 AM

tradhunt
you will get a x-11 buggy ?

alexb2000 09-30-2007 11:18 AM

I plan on getting one of the 3 buggies they have on there but the xrs is the only one in my price range. $650 for the x-11 is a little steep. I'd give them 400 for one though.

WailinOnYa 09-30-2007 12:17 PM

The car does handle well as long as your not making big air. I currently own an X10 and have since they were first introduced. When I saw the original predators years ago I always wanted one. After owning one, I would have to say that it is overpriced for the American market. The main reason for this was quality control of a kit in this price range. Holes on the A-arms for the cantilever rods were not in the same exact spot from one side of the car to the next, the arms are universal and can be used either left or right side, but the holes on both sides of the arms wouldn't even usually be in the same spots! The other major hole missalignments were in the top front diff covers where the rocker shafts mounted, they were also off from one side to the next. Now don't get me wrong, I still like the car and believe it can without adoubt compete with the best, it just takes someone who is very consistent for this car to work well on rough/large jump tracks! From looking at the pics of the New X11, it deffinately looks like they are going in the right direction for quality, the new aluminum rocker shaft mount should be dead on accurate and durable as hell. I know that they have been addressing the missaligned holes in arms so by now this should be remedied even on the newer X10 kits. The problem is that when on large jumps even medium sized jumps, there is no end all be all solution except for consistency on landings, if you can land smoothly consistently on the back slope of a large jump or following backside of a double or triple, etc. this car can work well, but if its just a large jump with a flat landing this car will pan out bad. It has good travel but the suspension design doesn't enable it to soak up a landing without panning/slapping the chassis really hard, which in turn will make the car want to bounce and loose control, also its hard on the car slapping like this all the time. Like any car you can alter setup to help this but there is only so much you can do before you go beyond the limits of traction verse less slapping, it's give and take! Honestly I think it would make a great dirt oval car where hard landings wouldn't exist. I personally think most of the struggle is actually with the rear lateral arrangement for the shocks and not the front. I give credit where it is due, the New X11 looks like it has pretty much delt with the last of the Predator quality/reliability issues, but it is even more exspensive than the X10 and that car was pricey as hell. I still think it is the coolest looking 4wd of all time, it has one of the lightest drivetrains of any car I know of (a complete diff assembly is feather light). quick acceleration, great cornering and stability. If you can overcome the jumping drawbacks it could deffinately work for you!

alexb2000 09-30-2007 12:56 PM

I've read a few reviews and some of the draw backs on this car are not dettering me from it. I want one bad!!!

hated1racing 09-30-2007 06:28 PM

me and a buddy got them. dropped a ton of cash on it. he got his going first and broke the track record first night out with the car. the track was relatively flat however. when the first track change came and the supercross style jumps came back the car was dog sh....... he went back to the xx-4. they are very challenging to get the suspension to work like other cars on american style tracks.

the parts finish on mine was awful. TTECH was awesome at customer support and helping me out but the build was frustrating. my bj4 w.e. pretty much fell together when i opened the box. the pred took a lot longer to build correctly and a lot of hand fitting parts.

they are the coolest looking car bar none. if you have a lot of money and a relatively flat track to run on then go for it. they make great shelf queens.

whoever tells you they run well on tracks with big triples and big doubles is misleading you. if you get the car set up for big landings it will handle bad in other areas. there just isn't a happy medium with that car.

they were designed for tracks with no jumps primarily on grass or indoor basketball courts. no R&D was done on american tracks and they just dont work that well here. man they LOOK cool though......

tradhunt 10-01-2007 01:52 AM

Hey Cain... I'll try to find some of my old setup sheet's if I still have them. I was on a really hard pack indoor track with some big jumps... ya if you hit the landing wrong ya you got a bad slap just like anyother car out their but if you land it right its awsome their very responsive in the air. The car was very durable for me.. I've jumped and cartwheeled it several times and smacked into things and it usually kept goin... I did brake things but not as many parts or time as when I crashed my BJ4we that one broke on more crashes then the x10 even lighter crashes... maybe mine was just an exception but I had great luck with it...