R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I gotta jump in just to say... the Mamba systems DO NOT have problems with cogging, etc and they ARE nice driveable smooth systems. Anyone who says they cog bad and are horrible is just blowing smoke and likely has never owned one.

The Novak and LRP systems are great too... I have one of each to go along with several Mambas.

I love my LRP in my B4 and I love my Mamba 5700 in my T4.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
I gotta jump in just to say... the Mamba systems DO NOT have problems with cogging, etc and they ARE nice driveable smooth systems. Anyone who says they cog bad and are horrible is just blowing smoke and likely has never owned one.

The Novak and LRP systems are great too... I have one of each to go along with several Mambas.

I love my LRP in my B4 and I love my Mamba 5700 in my T4.

I can tell you from experience that some do have cogging problems, mine being one of them. Some people are fortunate in not having any issues but mine did right out of the box. I ended up having to remove all of the motor and esc wire connectors and direct solder them together because they werent getting a good connection and arcing.
J-3 Brushless Cub
platinumjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to MADMAN23

i love my mamba 5700 ...

WWW.RCFANATICS.NET
http://rcraracing.com/sitebuilder/images/FORUM/index.php

C&D R/C RACEWAY
Team Wicked Racing
MADMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjason View Post
I can tell you from experience that some do have cogging problems, mine being one of them. Some people are fortunate in not having any issues but mine did right out of the box. I ended up having to remove all of the motor and esc wire connectors and direct solder them together because they werent getting a good connection and arcing.
You have it backwards... it's not "some people are fortunate not having any issues"... but rather some people were unfortunate if they did have issues.

IF there are some that had issues, it was rare. And IF that is the case, it's doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the system anyway... but only that apparently a few had crappy connectors. CC would immediately take care of such a problem.

As you did... replace the connectors and it's fine.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have the 5700 in my B4 and if the car slides out that is where I see what I would guess "cogging". Just a general latency when you go to acelerate again. I have not hard wired to the esc so that may be where my issues lie. Other than that I love how easy it is to set up and even toned down there is power on tap.
jumpjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This is like asking Ford vs. Chevy

I have had 2 mamba (4600 and 5700) systems and have already replaced one and am considering replacing the other.

To the issue of cogging, they ABSOLUTELY do have an issue with cogging. You MUST either direct solder the wires or at minimum use deans for the motor wires. Those bullet connectors are horrible. They work fine on 18th scale because the power demand is not as high...but for 10th scale they are a major flaw.

Also do this little test. Stop your car/truck on a hill where you would start to roll backwards. Now try to ease into the throttle and see what happens. 9 times out of 10 you will start to go faster backwards unless you punch it in which case it will either ignore your input or try to kick forward and break traction which is no good. This is and will likely always be an issue with sensorless designs.

Mamba systems are good for club level and great basher motors where you want extreme power and speed...but for those who have a light trigger finger and need the finite control, any of the sensored systems might be a better option.

I've even been hearing good things about the VLX systems from Traxxas.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:57 AM   #37
Tech Adept

hey guys, I've found both my 5700's to only clog from reverse(still rolling) to forward. They are wicked fast motors for sure. I've been having problems with the pinion side bearing. I'm looking for a sensored B/L motor(7-9t brushed) that will work great with the Mamba esc and that i can clean and replace bearings if ever needed. Any suggestions?
danimal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Ford has a problem with tires blowing up so they are junk. If you have a Ford and didn't have issues then you are lucky. Buy a Chevy.

Seriously some people just love to hate on the Mamba.

Yeah, it's too bad CC has a problem with the connectors they source for the MM. Perhaps they need to find a new source, as there are other bullet cons out there that are fine.

But I don't think we should be blaming the MM... when it's the connectors that at fault. I know the MM isn't perfect... as it is a sensorless design... but 99.99% of the time it runs smooth. Hiccups are very very very rare.

I raced a 5700 in my T4 all summer and never noticed ANY glitches at all.

I also run an LRP combo in my B4. If someone starts bashing LRP and saying they all blow and you need a Novak then I'll call bunk on that too.

As for the rolling down the hill backwards thing.... just pull throttle and it will first brake, then take off. But I have yet to find my self in that position while racing, LOL. If you do then you are way off your line anyway and that' s your fault.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal1965 View Post
hey guys, I've found both my 5700's to only clog from reverse(still rolling) to forward. They are wicked fast motors for sure. I've been having problems with the pinion side bearing. I'm looking for a sensored B/L motor(7-9t brushed) that will work great with the Mamba esc and that i can clean and replace bearings if ever needed. Any suggestions?
I don't know if they are rebuildable.. but the Trinity motors should run great on the MM. One of them is just a Feigao type motor and I have run one of those on my MM.

I have never run a Novak/LRP motor on a MM... I hear that there is a bit of initial startup cogging but none once it's moving. That sounds kinda like my Neu/MM combo in my 1/8 scale.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'm not bashing on Mamba but they definatly do have some shortcomings in the 1/10 scale arena. Come on, they demo their product by putting it in a powerwheels truck. They don't make an appearance at nationals despite being invited. They just don't have as much interest in the racing arena. They make their money from the smaller systems for 1/18, airplane and heli systems. I'm also not promoting Novak, LRP or any other system although I did make a reference to one particular becuase the original poster stated he was budget concience.

I know it's not off-road, but also I run a Mamba in an oval car that runs on a banked track and this makes backwards rolling issue very obvious. If you get spun and start rolling backwards, until you roll into the infield you are helpless against oncoming traffic unless you punch it full...in which case you just spin anyway. For off-road, there are occasions where you have to slow or stop to avoid hitting a turnmarshal clearing up a wreck. Sometimes you are on an incline that makes this noticable again.

I have also run them in brushless/lipo 2wd truck class, 4wd mod class and 2wd buggy. The only class I felt that this motor really shined was 4wd mod because you are generally on/off hard just like a gas car and aren't worried about a feather touch to maintain traction on a slick track. In the 2wd before replacing the bullets, I've had it cog on me in mid air while trying to adjust for a landing and end up sending me end over end.

I've since gone back to mostly brushed and just now got an XBR in a trade to play with. I'll revisit castle again if they ever choose to acknowledge some of the issues.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
You have it backwards... it's not "some people are fortunate not having any issues"... but rather some people were unfortunate if they did have issues.

IF there are some that had issues, it was rare. And IF that is the case, it's doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the system anyway... but only that apparently a few had crappy connectors. CC would immediately take care of such a problem.

As you did... replace the connectors and it's fine.
I must hear of more mamba issues than you. Im not hating on it just to hate, Im just stating my personal experiences and have heard of many many others having problems. I do know though that my Novak was much more reliable.

Im happy with the mamba now that I had to personally fix the issue myself. In my eyes, Novak will always be the best choice for brushless setups.
J-3 Brushless Cub
platinumjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #42
Tech Master

+1 gndprx
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Hey Tim... what took you so long to find this thread, LOL!!!

btw, nice job making top 3 at that one race (Farm2...)

I'm not going to try to defend CC or argue that the MM is anywhere near perfect. They are currently dropping the ball in several ways... hopefully they can get it together and improve the MM... not to mention finally release the MMM.

I can see how running oval could have you going backwards
Old 09-15-2007, 12:37 AM   #44
Tech Addict

Gndprx
Quote:
This is like asking Ford vs. Chevy
They are similar design philosophies (apples to apples), Mamba Max to Novak is apples to oranges, completely different design

Quote:
To the issue of cogging, they ABSOLUTELY do have an issue with cogging. You MUST either direct solder the wires or at minimum use deans for the motor wires. Those bullet connectors are horrible. They work fine on 18th scale because the power demand is not as high...but for 10th scale they are a major flaw.
I have a 4600 WITH stock banana plugs, that has never failed to run great. I run it with 5000 and 8000 LIPO's over 20 minutes at times and it run great without a hint of cog. I'm running 23/78 and run it hard and it never overheats.

Quote:
Also do this little test. Stop your car/truck on a hill where you would start to roll backwards. Now try to ease into the throttle and see what happens. 9 times out of 10 you will start to go faster backwards unless you punch it in which case it will either ignore your input or try to kick forward and break traction which is no good. This is and will likely always be an issue with sensorless designs.
Had that happen, its a sensorless design, it will happen to all but the high end (Quark, MGM or Schultze) Like the first quote, you are comparing to a sensored setup. If you don't like it, Don't park on hills.

Quote:
Mamba systems are good for club level and great basher motors where you want extreme power and speed...but for those who have a light trigger finger and need the finite control, any of the sensored systems might be a better option.
The Mamba Max can in fact be raced as hard as any sensored, with as good a control. I have raced a SS5800 (never tryed a GTB yet) and the 5700 and 4600, all are great systems and easily controled by competent racers. I have as much pinpoint control as you do, BTW i can adjust the profile almost infinate, you got what 6 and one of those is brushed.

Quote:
They don't make an appearance at nationals despite being invite
They don't have a team setup for the Mamba Max, hard to race when the top two Sensored guys set rules that a lot of unsensored manufacturers can't handle. What i mean by that, is the Wye winding, gives the mamba's fits (That is a problem but castles working on it)

Quote:
I've even been hearing good things about the VLX systems from Traxxas.
I have two of these and they are awsome, run hard and good
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote