Search

Questions about brushless and the mod class

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Questions about brushless and the mod class

Hello,

I am new to electric racing and am receiving a brushless motor combo in a trade and wondered how it would do in a B4 in the mod class.

Lrp Sphere competition speed control

Neo1 4 star brushless motor

Neo1 1 start brushless motor

I am not new to the hobby I come to electric with quite a bit of 1/8th scale background. If either of these motors will work well in the B4 running mod and lipo (supported at my track) or NImH what would be the right pinion to go with? I know this is dependent on the track and batteries but how about a ballpark. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The 4 star and a lipo will be really fast, but very capable in a mod class. I was getting around 20 mins of runtime with my 4800 lipo and a novak 5.5 in my B4. The 4 star reedy is around the equivalent to the novak 5.5. The one star is slower maybe like a 13 turn or higher mod. The 4 star is like a 8-9 turn mod. As long as you have a lipo charger and your track will let you run it stick with the lipo. They are no maintenence, they run forever, and produce gobs of power. Try a 15t pinion with the stock spur gear and the 4 star motor. Should be good to go.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

IMO, the four star (5.5) is too fast and the one star (8.5) is a little too slow for most electric offroad tracks. I ran a two star (7.5) for a year and it was perfect. If your only choice is one of those motors, I'd go with the one star because the four star will give you headaches. Maifield doesn't even use that much power in 2wd mod.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For a 2wd buggy:
4 star is WAY too much power
3 star is WAY too much power
2 star is more than enough power
1 star is enough power

Last edited by MustGoFaster; 08-31-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You shouldn't have issues. Just test and play with gearing.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was hoping I was going to be able to "tame" the 4 star down. I don't WANT to use all the power, it just happens to be the motor I have. I received it in a trade for some of my nitro stuff for a really good deal. It's new and so is the LRP Sphere Comp, so I figured I would be able to tame it with the speed control and maybe gearing to where I wouldn't have to use all the power. Then if I ever go 4wheel or something I can use it. If I have to I will buy a different motor but I would rather not. The one star may not be enough but I may try it anyway.

If I decide to buy a different motor down the road what is popular 6.5? I will be running lipo at all times. My track (CRCRC) allows lipos and brushless with the use of a charging sack and hardcase lipos. The CRCRC Midwest Champs race in Jan. is also running a lipo class so I should be good to go. Again any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you