R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-30-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default 1/10th performance in a 1/8th world

Hi.
I am stuck in the old world of 1/10th electric, which I love. I live in a 1/8th world. It can be lonely there. So, I am racing my xxx4 again last night at a 1/8th track. It is hard clay, but there are rocks peeking up -- like 10 visible rocks per square foot. There are rocks poking out of the faces of the jumps. Sometimes I roll a rock up out of the dirt and drive over it. The average rock is about 1 cubic inch. Mostly, it is not a problem with my Panther switch 2.0 clay tires since it is mostly flat, hard, slightly blown-out clay, and no tire will do any better driving over a loose rock. Oddly, the track crew spent quite a bit of time before the racing using brooms and a leafblower to sweep dust off the track. I didn't think the dust was worth sweeping.
But, still, I am suffering compared to all the 1/8th stuff. They can hit the jumps hard and clear a double. If I try it, I might make it, but I might catch a rock snag and corkscrew through the air, so I take them easy, slow. Also, the truggies can jump the doubles farther than my xxx4 (with great motor and battery) even when the truggies are using particularly great tires.
Is this just normal reality. Is my setup wrong. Does my driving suck. Do I need to consider a xx4 / x5. You are going to say go to 1/8th scale and problem solved, right.
BobWoodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

goto electric 1/8th scale, problem solved!!

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse View Post
Hi.
I am stuck in the old world of 1/10th electric, which I love. I live in a 1/8th world. It can be lonely there. So, I am racing my xxx4 again last night at a 1/8th track. It is hard clay, but there are rocks peeking up -- like 10 visible rocks per square foot. There are rocks poking out of the faces of the jumps. Sometimes I roll a rock up out of the dirt and drive over it. The average rock is about 1 cubic inch. Mostly, it is not a problem with my Panther switch 2.0 clay tires since it is mostly flat, hard, slightly blown-out clay, and no tire will do any better driving over a loose rock. Oddly, the track crew spent quite a bit of time before the racing using brooms and a leafblower to sweep dust off the track. I didn't think the dust was worth sweeping.
But, still, I am suffering compared to all the 1/8th stuff. They can hit the jumps hard and clear a double. If I try it, I might make it, but I might catch a rock snag and corkscrew through the air, so I take them easy, slow. Also, the truggies can jump the doubles farther than my xxx4 (with great motor and battery) even when the truggies are using particularly great tires.
Is this just normal reality. Is my setup wrong. Does my driving suck. Do I need to consider a xx4 / x5. You are going to say go to 1/8th scale and problem solved, right.
I went 1/8th scale gas for the summer out door track is rough. and 1/10th for the indoor winter. Now if the out door track was real smooth I would run electric. Now 1/8th electric is an option. Gas is fun but a lot more work.
We are actually working on getting a 3rd gas buggy now. One may get converted to electric.?????
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Tech Elite

I have been very tempted. I had already thought about it -- either a 8ight or a MBX5 (only because of reading some shoot-out/showdown article), with 4s on something like Neu 1512 and a Mamba Max.
It is too bad to have a different summer buggy and winter buggy, esp when I don't always get to race every week as it is. OTOH, summer 1/8E and winter 1/12 on-road would be easier to find places -- just ditch the 1/10 off-road totally -- I don't like having more than 1 or 2 rides. Maybe 1/8E winter/indoor will be an up-and-coming thing.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I guess that's the shear nature of the beast. A 1/10 buggy is just too small and too light to perform well on a track that runs 1/8 buggies. The weight and size makes all those little rocks just pebbles in comparison to the boulders your 1/10 has to run on. Even running a 1/10 gas truck on a blown out track is tricky and must be driven very conservatively. I would suggest considering getting a buggy for yourself. A lot of cars get exchanged through this site and a used car will take a huge edge off that high intro price.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run a xxx4 on a track that has rocks and loose gravel. All i did to run with the 1/8th scales was change over to a higher turn motor, and redo the shocks for a better ride. Make the shocks softer to absorb the rocks. I dont win all the time but I do kept up with no problem. Dont give up yet on the 1/10th scale. Just work on the lines around the track and find your strong points. Plus just practice the jumps to see where your buggy takes off better.

HotShot RC / Nexus Racing
Xray T2 '009 w/Exotek Chassis, BMI DB12rr, Tamiya F104X1
Team Durango DEX210
ChadRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite

I had wondered if the famous rough-track handling capability of the Losi xx4 would make it an option over the xxx4. Maybe I just hate to give up those "22" pairs of rear proline xxx/xx4 rims I just got off eBay for $23+shipping.

ChadRacing, I also hate giving up and jumping from ride to ride -- you just never know when you are 1 tweek away from the right answer or if you are barking up the wrong tree altogether. I do run a soft rear for outside tracks (white springs and 30 wt Losi oil with biggest-hole pistons), and it handles some outdoor tracks just fine. But this rocky track really was tough. By "higher turn motor", you mean a slower one? I was already thinking about going down from a MM5700 to a MM4600.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah i used to run a 10x2 in mine and then changed to a 12x2 and was able to control it better. As far as shocks I run that same weight but i run pink springs in rear and green up front. Also i run alittle higher on ride height to clear over the rocks and let the tires and shocks do all the work.

HotShot RC / Nexus Racing
Xray T2 '009 w/Exotek Chassis, BMI DB12rr, Tamiya F104X1
Team Durango DEX210
ChadRacing is offline   Reply With Quote