R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #46
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
When the mods have to go to 5 cells, smaller battery wires as current limiters and less motor, the track is too small for mods! Sorry just my opinion!
I think its more the voltage and power is just too much for the car. I think regardless of track size, we are going to see more and more 5 cell racing.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #47
Tech Elite

I don't think races need to be held on tracks big enough for the cars to finish accelerating on the straightaway. Technology is constantly advancing. The tracks cannot continue to grow as the cars get faster, that's ridiculous.

The smaller, tight and technical tracks that electric races are held on, seperates that kind of racing from nitro off-road. Not just holding it wide open everywhere. I don't think we need to keep trying to make electric more like gas racing.

And at the same time, there's no logistical reason not to run gas truck at an electric race. It's done all the time, at tracks all across the country. Electric can still do triple A-mains, gas can still do a longer main event, and there are plenty of indoor tracks in the U.S. that can race gas.

I do believe that there's a place for spec classes at the National level, there should still be a place for local privateers at ROAR's biggest 1/10th scale race. I don't think it really matters if it's stock, 19 turn, 13.5 brushless, or whatever. Three handout classes are all that is necessary though, not eight. The last thing we need to do, is cancel the reason many weekend-warrior level racers want to attend the electric nationals; not everyone wants to race mod with the big name drivers and we don't need to lose any more entries.

And it should be "no factory drivers" in the spec classes, or at the very least, that you cannot enter a handout class and an open (mod) class at the same event.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkarTisu View Post
Bingo. Do away with two whole sets of classes (stock and 19T) by getting rid of that outdated rule. Let people run whatever motor they think will work best for them, and choose either a mid-level or pro-level class.
IF you look at all the mod classes you will see people running 19t, 5 cell,6 cell, and various turn mods. It really should be called the open class. Run what makes you the fastest. I think that there is a place for 19t and stock classes. If you get rid of them then you will have rookies running with entry level sponsored drivers. I run expert mod because I don't like the driving of the random drivers in the intermidate class.

This is my list of National level classes:

Open ( what ever you want)
Pro Mod buggy (only factory drivers)
Pro mod truck (only factory drivers)
Lipo/ brushless truck
lipo/ brushless buggy
19t truck
19t buggy
stock truck
stock buggy
Old 08-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #49
Tech Master

4wd??

We did have 78 of them at the Cactus.

I believe it was also the biggest class at Shootout as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #50
Tech Elite

so I'm thinking about this more and there are 4 levels of drivers

Factory
Sponsored
Sportsman
Rookie

Rookie should be one class
Sportsman should be stock
sponsored should be 19t
Factory should be mod

I as a sponsored driver want to run more than just one class. I like to run mod and 19t. Where do you draw the line for having to many classes?

Pro mod all 3 classes
mod buggy
mod truck
mod 4wd
19 truck
19 buggy
stock truck
stock buggy
Rookie
lipo truck
lipo buggy

thats 13 classes, to give everyone their fair shot. you have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #51
Tech Elite

sorry, forgot about 4wd. I don't have one.
I would also like to see a 19t 4wd class.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #52
Tech Master

Nevermind, I misunderstood.

Last edited by Orange; 08-24-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #53
Tech Elite

yes
Old 08-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #54
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

Now that the technologies are improving and motors are becoming more powerful, it's time to stop separating everybody by their powerplants and start separating them by just the chassis. I don't know about you guys, but an open 2wd Buggy class is alot more exciting than Mod Buggy followed by the watered down classes (19T, Stock, and Juniors) in my opinion. It doesn't really matter anymore, I think some drivers these days would be faster with a stock motor than a mod motor just because these some of these newer racers lack a sense of throttle control.

I'm all for adding Gas Truck to a 1/10th offroad national event. It can only help the class grow to where it once was.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #55
Tech Elite

I'm down for nitro but you really need to seperate the skill levels. You almost have to force some new drivers to run stock. We have a small program and all the fast guys run mod. All the kids who want to be like the fast guys try and run mod. Nothing but trouble. They don't learn to drive, break their cars and get in the way of the faster guys.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #56
Tech Master

And they wonder why electric racing is dieing with more of the same ole out of date ideas!!!!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #57
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
And they wonder why electric racing is dieing with more of the same ole out of date ideas!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #58
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

Quote:
Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING View Post
I'm down for nitro but you really need to seperate the skill levels. You almost have to force some new drivers to run stock. We have a small program and all the fast guys run mod. All the kids who want to be like the fast guys try and run mod. Nothing but trouble. They don't learn to drive, break their cars and get in the way of the faster guys.
That's what Novice is for. Though it might not be a bad idea if the non Novice drivers had the choice to run either an Intermediate or Expert class, like the Nitro RC Pro Series does. Either way, separating the cars by their powerplants isn't the answer.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #59
Tech Addict

Maybe ROAR needs to adjust their focus and their structure. I come to this idea as a result of sharing some of the opinions that handout or 'limited' classes don't need to be a part of a ROAR national race.
Wouldn't it be more attractive to the 'sportsman' and unsponsored drivers if the focus was more on the Regional level? Then initiate a rule that you must qualify for the National.
The Regionals would offer stock, 19t, and mod 2wd and truck. Mod 4wd and 1/10 nitro truck. The mod and nitro classes would be qualifiers for the Nats. Initiate a rule that you must have run in a stock class in the previous Regional in order to be eligible to run mod at the Regional. This would insure that all mod drivers had at least a year experience and knowledge of how to prepare for a 'big race'. You could separate the nitro into sportsman and expert and mandate that you must have run the sportsman class previously to be eligible for the expert.
The Nationals could then run only mod and 1/10 nitro classes. Just separate them into 'expert' and 'pro' classes. The Regionals would qualify for the expert class and the factory drivers would automatically be entered in the pro class.
The final enhancement would be to allow drivers that qualified for the A main in the previous years expert National to run in the pro class.
Now you would have a lot more opportunity to advance with skill. You would drop the number of classes at a National to 8, and put the focus more on the non factory racers. You could even then designate a fixed number to participants. If you won your regional you would wear a '1x' on your car for the national (the 'x' being your region #). And the pro drivers would have fixed numbers according to their previous years finish position. Imagine if you were running your regional with a number '5' on your car. That would signify that you had finished fifth in the previous years pro National.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #60
Tech Initiate

What's wrong with running the following;

1. Stock car (hand out motor)
2. Stock truck (handout motor)
3. Mod car
4. Mod truck
5. Mod 4X4

I remember back in the day (1990's), the Nationals were run with the above and had 400 entries.

And if stock truck is too slow then run a 19t motor (or 19t handout motor) in lieu of stock truck.

Plus you could add a li-po and gas truck class and still only have 7 classes.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote