R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyle View Post
Hey Guys,

What do you think the turn out would be if ROAR combined the 1/10th electric and 1/10th fuel Nats into one event? They could call it The ROAR 1/10th Off-Road National.

I was recently at a race that combined 1/10th and 1/8th scale vehicles. The track was sweet and I had a great time but the track was a little big for 10th scale trucks.

Let me know what you think

Thanks
Kevin Boyle
Here's my .02 cents,

1/10 electrics (brushless/lipo powered) are capable of running 20 minute mains. Why not just combine all 1/10 trucks into one larger "open" class. Open meaning, open to any any 1/10 electric or nitro powered truck, or, does it even matter what powers the truck (rubberbands anyone?).
Call it 1/10 Pro Truck, 1/10 Stadium Truck, whatever else fits. Run this class with the Electric Nats (site selection would be an issue when running nitro powered trucks.) Solves the issue of 1/10 GT running on very large, and often blown out 1/8 scale tracks.
My guess is this would become a popular class to run, for both electrics and 1/10 GT.
Certain details could be worked out, like equal minumum weight, electrics required to make a pit stop (maybe something like a timed stop and go).
Old 08-23-2007, 05:38 PM   #32
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Kinda like what AMA did with aeronautic competitions. Interesting.

I have a dollar that every gas driver in the world would be against that, but just about every electric driver would be okay with it, LOL.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #33
Tech Elite

CNC Racing - I'd imagine that the organizational effort it would take to enforce parity in such a class at a national level would stop that from ever getting off the ground.

Sean - I totally agree that the races are too long, and practice is the first way we can cut out time from the event program.

I've talked to pro and local racers alike about it at a couple events, and Jared Tebo even went so far as saying "you go to a motocross race and you get 20-30 minutes to learn the track. And that's an activity where physical injury is at stake. We shouldn't need six 10 minute runs at an R/C race".

Kevin - Constructive conversation is fine, but the mindless ROAR bashing that occurs often on bulletin boards doesn't solve anything.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 AM   #34
Tech Regular

I thought about this earlier. It makes sense to me because Gas truck seems out of place next to truggies. Or maybe that is just me?
My problem with combining isn't with stretching the program but adding one more class. We had 11 classes at the electric nats this year....there were 11 national champions coming out of that race. With less than 200 entries that means about 1/20 of the people that entered were crowned. (Probably not since Dakotah and RC cleaned up..but you get my point)

So why don't we add GT and get rid of a whole level of handout classes? Do we need 2 handout classes? Isn't stock and 19t effectively the same thing just with a different power level of motor? Why not do open modified all 3, handout (stock or 19t..w/e) all 3, and add gas truck? This still means 10 classes (counting the lipo/bl truck), but it would be less distributed. And the guys that don't want to run stock will just run open instead. Or the opposite, the guys that aren't willing to run a non-handout class can run handout with everyone else that is running handout.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:20 AM   #35
Tech Elite

I agree COMPLETELY. It seems like adding classes has done nothing to help the on-road scene, and it certainly will have the same effect on off-road.

Three mod classes, three handout classes, gas truck, and Li-Po/BL truck. 8 classes is reasonable.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:35 AM   #36
Tech Master

After being one of the few who raced at both Nats in the Li-po Brushless Truck Class in NM and at the Gas Truck Class in NC that includes my home track is the Farm in NC too where I race the li-po brushless track there all the time.

I feel the mod classes, li-po brushless truck and gas truck needs a bigger track than NM that was a great track for the spec classes and may could have ran on the shorter track layout at the Farm in NC not using the back straight like that is normally used there.

Maybe splitting the Mod classes with li-po truck from the spec classes and combining it with gas truck and maybe even the PMT class. Does not really matter to me, just let me know where the li-po brushless truck class will be next year and you will get around 10 of us from the Carolinas to come and race in it.

1/8th scale needs there own venue and are very hard on a track as far as rutting out.

PS. Kevin, I was the guy on cone 3 in the main digging the same truggy out of the fence almost evey lap while you were on the famous cone 4 ducking the black truggy missing the jump several laps. LOL
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
PS. Kevin, I was the guy on cone 3 in the main digging the same truggy out of the fence almost evey lap while you were on the famous cone 4 ducking the black truggy missing the jump several laps. LOL

I remeber that spot and man was it fun LOL.

Keep it coming guys, these are all good point and I know ROAR is watching. We are only trying to make ROAR better for all members involved. True some people do not like ROAR rules but they have been around for 40 years and with out your help and input it can not grow.

Thanks
Kevin Boyle

ROAR Region 2 Off Road Director
Kevin Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

1/10th off-road is dying in general. Might as well put all the lepers on the same island!

11 different classes at the last electric off-road nationals?! Seriously? Doesn't ANYone think that's a little unnecessary?

If ROAR's going to run 11 classes at a race, adding a 12th shouldn't be a big deal at all. At least then the GTs can run on a track designed for their size. Watching a GT wobble its way around a rutted 1/8th scale sized track is sad to see.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
I feel the mod classes, li-po brushless truck and gas truck needs a bigger track than NM that was a great track for the spec classes and may could have ran on the shorter track layout at the Farm in NC not using the back straight like that is normally used there.
I think the NM track is a perfect size for any 1/10 electric class and or any 1/10 Fuel.... You will find that alot of people will agree to this as well.

Running ANY electric 1/10 on tracks the size of the Farm is not fun (Even without the backstraight). I have done this, not fun.... If that happenned it would put the final nail in the coffin for Electric racing, IMO.

Last edited by Orange; 08-24-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Aluquerque NM has a Perfect sized track for 1/10 including GT. GT is a BLAST on that track!! My.02

Team Associated, Reedy, LRP, Proline, Winning Edge Designs, Byrons Fuel, AVID Bearings, TFR Racing. ***Team Associated Region 10 Administrator***
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #41
Tech Master

Racing ALWAYS changes every year, no matter what scale it is, things change, rules change, cars change, motors change... ROAR is no different than any scale of racing organization.... with that said I agree, 11 classes at 1 National, too much! Something needs a change!

Personally I like the way EFRA does it. Everything is Modified. They don't have stock or 19t. If you think about it, our fuel racing is kinda like that. There is a limit on motor size, thats it, there isn't a slower class of the same car and clubs that have "Sportsman" classes, allow the same motors... It is done by skill level.... To me seems like something we should look into as well.

Gas truck needs to be on a track designed for 1/10 as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback on the thread. I am glad I am not the only person that feels 1/10th scale trucks need to be on a 1/10th scale style track. Now with that said how do get it through the heads of the track owners that they need to include 1/10th scale trucks when making the tracks? With some changes on the local scene the national scene will hurt as well.

I know that ROAR will be taking a look at the thread topic and will try and do the right thing.

Keep the ideas coming

Thanks
Kevin Boyle
Kevin Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #43
Tech Master

When the mods have to go to 5 cells, smaller battery wires as current limiters and less motor, the track is too small for mods! Sorry just my opinion!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Indoor tracks are where less cells or slower motors would give faster laptimes. That is part of the versatality of electric, being able to run indoors, outdoors, small technical tracks, wide open big tracks. Being able to tune your voltage and motor power to track conditions is an asset of electric racing.

Running 1/10 Nitro trucks with electric classes at nationals limits what tracks that the race can be held at because of the nitro exhaust (no more indoor nationals?). Nitro race lengths compared to electric race lengths could become an issue as well. Same as the bump-ups in the mains policy that nitro classes typically have.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #45
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Personally I like the way EFRA does it. Everything is Modified. They don't have stock or 19t.

Bingo. Do away with two whole sets of classes (stock and 19T) by getting rid of that outdated rule. Let people run whatever motor they think will work best for them, and choose either a mid-level or pro-level class.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote