R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Totally agree ...
Whats with this separate & snuff out the 1/10gas truck`s from the 1/8th`s anyways ?
George - tracks today for 8th buggy and 8th truck (truggy) are just toooooo big for 1:10 gas trucks to do well. The jumps have to be designed larger and spaced differently as well as the 'ruts' these vehicles leave are very disruptive for a 1:10th gas truck. The racing simply is not fun for GT's to run on the same size tracks.

There are more 1:10 off road tracks currently in use in the ROAR affiliation and if GT has any life at all... I think promoting the class and placing their premiere racing in a venue that supports the vehicle is the best choice.

I have discussed this over and over with major team drivers and although they don't like the prospect of yet another event they have to attend, contractually... it would be better for the class, privateer racers and the tracks who build these types of facilities.

But..... the downside is another class at 1:10 off road nats.... and most guys run the three mod classes and supporting their cars for gas racing as well takes out what one person can physically do in a day of wrenching.. ya know?
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

Seems as though running a 1/10 gas would be more enjoyable on a track made for 1/10 than one made for 1/8th.

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Here are two posts I've already made on this subject on the nitro forum:
-----------------------------
To be honest, and it sucks because I'm a big fan of the class, I don't know that we can "save" 1/10th scale nitro off-road at the national level. As it is, the industry (customer base) just doesn't support the class.

I do think that combining the class with electric would be a nice idea. However, the racers already attending that event to run electric would be spread too thin. Many racers at the electric race are already running 3 classes, and I don't know how keen many of them would be on adding a 4th class.

For sure, making MT and gas truck their own event would not work. There are not enough racers making the trip to the Nationals just to run these classes to warrant its own event. These classes at the Truck Nationals have been majorly supported by the manufacturers and racers already running in the 1/8th scale truck class. Separating MT and gas truck would kill both of these classes at the national level.
-----------------------------
If the goal is simply to provide a venue for racers of (sadly, dying) classes to compete for a national championship, they can piggyback onto any existing event. Maybe gas truck with the electric race, and MT and 1/8th scale truck, is a good start?

I talked to a couple people who ran at the Truck Nationals in North Carolina, and they mentioned that there were too few heats to try to run all three classes. 1/8th scale truck is, arguably, the most popular class in the U.S. right now and the turnout for the ROAR Nationals wasn't very impressive. Yes, there are many factors that could've caused the low attendance (not the least of which are a busy race calendar, and last month's worlds-qualifying buggy Nationals) but still proof that the 1/8th scale truck class does not warrant its own event, at least for 2008.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Didn't know there was a 3 class limit. Hmmm.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Dawn - I haven't done the numbers, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find enough racers who attend the truck nationals specifically to run gas truck, or specifically to run Monster Truck, to support another event. As it was, attendance for the Truck Nationals was quite anemic.

It's not even about the manufacturers supporting those classes. You can't have a separate race for five heats full of sponsored drivers. If local-level "average joe" racers aren't attending the event, the manufacturers won't either.

*EDIT* The three class limit rule is likely to stop racers in the Mod class from cherry-picking in the stock and 19T classes. Perhaps the rule should read something like "racers may not enter two different classes with the same car" or "racers may not enter two different level classes".
Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

We had a combined indoor electric and nitro race here in the winter (in an indoor MX track) and it was actually better than I thought. separate practice for nitro and electric and there was over 300 people there. Was kind of cool to have everything going on even though I am not a huge nitro fan. It was a long day but again it went better than I thought it would have. Would be tough if you were racing more than two classes though for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
ROAR 1/10th Scale National Question-soioc-main-winners.jpg  

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #22
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
George - tracks today for 8th buggy and 8th truck (truggy) are just toooooo big for 1:10 gas trucks to do well. The jumps have to be designed larger and spaced differently as well as the 'ruts' these vehicles leave are very disruptive for a 1:10th gas truck. The racing simply is not fun for GT's to run on the same size tracks.

There are more 1:10 off road tracks currently in use in the ROAR affiliation and if GT has any life at all... I think promoting the class and placing their premiere racing in a venue that supports the vehicle is the best choice.

I have discussed this over and over with major team drivers and although they don't like the prospect of yet another event they have to attend, contractually... it would be better for the class, privateer racers and the tracks who build these types of facilities.

But..... the downside is another class at 1:10 off road nats.... and most guys run the three mod classes and supporting their cars for gas racing as well takes out what one person can physically do in a day of wrenching.. ya know?

understand your points and all R good ones as well...

Only feel 1/10th gas truck is kinda of a stepping stone for the 1/8th scales...

and
both belong together in same program as a result...

I`m new to 1/10 gas ....
and

after my first season on those too big jumps and rutt`s, loved every moment...

and

at the same time...

still watched the 1/8th`s and learned to want one...

just as said, now have no doubts I`ll be getting a 1/8th for next season...

So ....
I`m not just considering the 1/10 gas programs health here !
I`m also including the health of the 1/8th as well....

Thanks for the reply ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 PM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Everyone thought have a Truck Nationals would fail also, but it didn't 2 years running so far.

Personally, I think that 1/10 Gas might be more salvagable if it were put with 1/10 electric.... But would make it hard on the manufacturers because they would have to divide their racers into classes that they think would do well at. ie maifield and Cavaleiri would probaboy have 1 class that both of them were not in together.

If you allowed them to run 4 classes, it is very difficult for them to do this because they really do not have the time...

I'm not a big fan of seperating the 1/8 classes... I truelly feel as both deserve to be together and would be alot easier for participants... I'm on the fence about 1/10 trucks and MT... Although I think that manufacturers would probably put more focus into the MT and GT programs as a manufacturer of racing products, it would only make sense for them to put an effort towards them and they could do it without the expense of disturbing their driving for the 1/8 class. Which I think that maybe the Losi racers had their hands full at the recent MT Nationals because alot of them were running 3 classes and there were only like 14 heats. Makes it tough...

Just some thoughts.

Sean
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron View Post
I do think that combining the class with electric would be a nice idea. However, the racers already attending that event to run electric would be spread too thin. Many racers at the electric race are already running 3 classes, and I don't know how keen many of them would be on adding a 4th class.

But, pretty much all the GAS RACERS have a PIT GUY that helps out anyways. So, really most of them would be a two man team working on the 4 vehicles as opposed to one guy working on 3

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Steve - Oh man...apparently you haven't been to too many gas races.

Sean - 180 entries at a national championship, with TWENTY FIVE no-shows? 182 people were entered into the computer for the Truck Nationals. 157 ran qualifiers to be seeded into the main.

Did the idea of a Truck Nationals fail? Well no, not completely. But I've been to one-day club races with way more entries than that. And yes I understand that there were many other causes for the low turn-out, but I don't find it fair to say that the national championship scheduling program can't be improved.

We can combine certain classes to make it easier for race teams to schedule travel and attendance, but we have to look out for the local racers who travel to make these events more than anything. The manufacturers are going to support racing because they invest in it, but it's been proven that the teams must follow their customers. The customers do not follow the race teams.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Racing four classes (with one of them being gas truck) is not unheard of. Racers have been doing that at the Shootout for years, and it's much easier when there's 35+ heats with plenty of time to work on all four cars.

Also, with that comes the opportunity to split up qualifying days. Perhaps the 2wd and 4wd buggy on Friday, with the truck classes (stock, 19T, mod, and gas) on Saturday? It's an option.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Also, with that comes the opportunity to split up qualifying days. Perhaps the 2wd and 4wd buggy on Friday, with the truck classes (stock, 19T, mod, and gas) on Saturday? It's an option.
Now we are talking.... the race program must flow for everbody. I would like to see more controlled practices at these events.

Aaron well said, this forum gives us a chance to help ROAR out and make it better for all involved.

Later
Kevin Boyle
Kevin Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Steve - Oh man...apparently you haven't been to too many gas races.

You're right, I havent. But it sounds like a legitimate idea to me!

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my opionin there is just to many classes at the electric nationals and other events in the first place.

The whole concept of masters and junior classes splits up racers that are(sometimes) at different skill levels due to their age. This is in many cases ineffective. It overall just spilts up the class into the normal version and the "masters" version.

Let qualifying seed the heats, not some stupid bonus class.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #30
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I think there should be only 1 day of practice and drop the flag.

Again just my opinion.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote