Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
4wd Brushless Combination? >

4wd Brushless Combination?

4wd Brushless Combination?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

One thing to keep in mind when comparing brushed to brushless....we compare the end result RPM, but not the torque. The 6.5 may be comparable to a 10~12 turn, but if you take the massive torque the brushless puts out, it is truly more comparable to a 8~9 turn....look at how many people gear the brushless motors very tall compared to a "comparable" brushed motor and you will see my logic.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Default How about a mamba 7700kv

Guys, just wondering if a mamba 7700kv brushless would be suitable for use in off road buggies. Are these better suited to touring cars or would it suit a lrp sphere partnering in a buggy? Would it be comparable to a 12 t brushed for power?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats right on the edge of destruction.. I'm sure theres some people running that combination, but I would say a 7700 would be more than enough. IMO.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I think your on the verge of a great decision. The Sphere/Neo combo is very reliable. I'd go with the 2-star in a 4wd buggy. I had the 2-star in a XXX4 and it was perfect. I now have a 1-star in a 2wd truck. I don't think Novak and LRP rate their motors the same. The Novak 13.5 is similar to stock, while the LRP 1-star (13T) is much much faster than stock.
Whatever motor you choose, the Sphere is a better choice for a buggy. They run much cooler than the GTB. I've never needed a fan or capacitor on my Sphere.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by happywing
I think your on the verge of a great decision. The Sphere/Neo combo is very reliable. I'd go with the 2-star in a 4wd buggy. I had the 2-star in a XXX4 and it was perfect. I now have a 1-star in a 2wd truck. I don't think Novak and LRP rate their motors the same. The Novak 13.5 is similar to stock, while the LRP 1-star (13T) is much much faster than stock.
Whatever motor you choose, the Sphere is a better choice for a buggy. They run much cooler than the GTB. I've never needed a fan or capacitor on my Sphere.
Thanks all. The neo's do seem to be the go as they are made with off road in mind, not to mention my rookie skills. Also I saw a bj4 on youtube with a 7700kv mamba in it and that looked frightningly fast. The thing was drifting unbelievably, but the chassis must have been well balanced to cope with the raw power. Cheers, talk soon.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marshy
Thanks all. The neo's do seem to be the go as they are made with off road in mind, not to mention my rookie skills. Also I saw a bj4 on youtube with a 7700kv mamba in it and that looked frightningly fast. The thing was drifting unbelievably, but the chassis must have been well balanced to cope with the raw power. Cheers, talk soon.
Well I have ran the LRP Combo in my zx-5 for 2 years. The ESC itself is great. It has a good programming, response etc. In the zx-5 it is a good idea to buy the sphere comp, not the sphere. I also am currently running the Castle Mamba 5700 (which is more than enough) and esc. The good here is the esc is a better footprint and fits better in the zx-5, computer programmable throttle curve but not a nice as the LRP.
The biggest difference between the 2 is the NEO motors suck and overheat which causes all sorts of failures, including esc failure when the motor melts down. The Vector series motors seem to be better but haven't had great luck so I am going to try the Orion/Peak motors. The ESC has a thermal switch but the motor doesn't and in a 4wd it seems like cooling is your biggest problem. I will say however for the 2+ years of running brushless motors I would take cooling issues over working on motors all the time.

-James