R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
I got my Grasshopper at Hobbytown on 86th street.around the same time you got your Hornet. Ever race at Hobby Connection?
Right on! No, I never raced in Indy. I was only like 11 at the time. I did not get into racing much until I got my Optima when I was 13. Even then, it was at a very recreational club in Logansport, IN. They didn't get too serious. Just got some carpet donated and ran a track with old fire-hose barriers in one of the local community centers. Went to Kokomo a couple of times to race as well but that's about it. They had a more serious track there.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
Right on! No, I never raced in Indy. I was only like 11 at the time. I did not get into racing much until I got my Optima when I was 13. Even then, it was at a very recreational club in Logansport, IN. They didn't get too serious. Just got some carpet donated and ran a track with old fire-hose barriers in one of the local community centers. Went to Kokomo a couple of times to race as well but that's about it. They had a more serious track there.
I mainly raced at Hobby Connection with my Grasshopper,then Frog,then a Fox. After the Grasshopper everything was a hand me down. Worn out parts and all. I was luck as my Dad is a big kid and raced along also.

I bought a Tamiya 959 with my first job from Indy RC. Nice to see a Hoosier on here. Where do you race at now?
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
I started with a Marui Big Bear in 1985...
That's what I had back in 1986. I broke it and put it away until 1990 when I got into racing (RC10CE)and gave it to my exfather-in-law.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:
I mainly raced at Hobby Connection with my Grasshopper,then Frog,then a Fox. After the Grasshopper everything was a hand me down. Worn out parts and all. I was luck as my Dad is a big kid and raced along also.

I bought a Tamiya 959 with my first job from Indy RC. Nice to see a Hoosier on here. Where do you race at now?
Cool! After the time I spoke of owning a hornet and an optima, I took 14 years off from RC. I think when I got my drivers license in 1991 that took priority. Then, in 2005, when I was all grown up and had more money than the paper route I had back then, I decided to get back into it. Two and a half years later, I am into it just like I was when I was a kid and having just as much fun. Now I collect those old vintage cars and race my new ones at planet RC in Indianapolis. http://www.planetrcraceway.com
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking buggies

my first was a Bachman 6wd radio control toy which the oldies bought because they couldnt get a wild willy 1.(still got the 6wd)

my first real rc car was an original mint condition gold tub RC10 that had been built and put in its box.i still have it but its a little worse for wear these days

since they were trying to get a wild willy 1 i have since managed to buy a couple of them.

should be a few pics on my myspace page
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Cool! After the time I spoke of owning a hornet and an optima, I took 14 years off from RC. I think when I got my drivers license in 1991 that took priority. Then, in 2005, when I was all grown up and had more money than the paper route I had back then, I decided to get back into it. Two and a half years later, I am into it just like I was when I was a kid and having just as much fun. Now I collect those old vintage cars and race my new ones at planet RC in Indianapolis. http://www.planetrcraceway.com
That circut looks pretty nice. I dont have a off road circut near where i live now so its kinda of a bummer.
You should try and get them to run a vintage class a few times. Keep the rules simple and just enjoy it. I still race my my oldies sometimes check these picture out of the race i went last year.
http://tuyosi.ath.cx/dekigoto/20060505/index.htm
Old 08-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
That circut looks pretty nice. I dont have a off road circut near where i live now so its kinda of a bummer.
You should try and get them to run a vintage class a few times. Keep the rules simple and just enjoy it. I still race my my oldies sometimes check these picture out of the race i went last year.
Wow, those pictures are great. I would love to see some off-road action like that in person. I don't think we would have enough people at our current track to support a vintage class. I bring it up every now and then. Hopefully one of these days we'll get enough together.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My first non-department store RC Car was an RC10 Graphite that I bought back in 1990. It's been upgraded so much that the only stock piece now is the graphite plate chassis. It's essentially been upgraded to an RC10 Worlds car with a graphite chassis instead of an aluminum tub. I even have the original box, manual and receipt for it. I'll post pics later.
mtn bkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Wow, those pictures are great. I would love to see some off-road action like that in person. I don't think we would have enough people at our current track to support a vintage class. I bring it up every now and then. Hopefully one of these days we'll get enough together.
Next time you go to your circut bring something old just to show off. That usally gets people excited. we only run two classes. Stock 540 and open. You dont even have to run the same car the whole day. Its just fun to bring out the old beater and see how good it does. I did pretty well with my Brat that time and even beat a few Dyna Storms. But the Vintage Kyosho Buggies are the best as they were 20 years ago.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

AYK Gator purchased used as a gift for me about 20 years ago.
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #26
Tech Master

mine was a grasshopper. i got mine the first year they were "big" pretty sure it was 84ish. back then you had a choice a more bouncey front end (frog) and a no giving back end a grasshopper. i picked the grasshopper because of price and never considered racing until that spring.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:23 AM   #27
Tech Regular

My first car was a Maruai Big Bear. My pops first was something I dont even know the name of it had a roll cage around it looked like a rail buggy.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:14 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJandrakovic View Post
My first car was a Maruai Big Bear. My pops first was something I dont even know the name of it had a roll cage around it looked like a rail buggy.
COX SCORPION? tamiya super champ,kyosho ultima (ultima would have been late 80's)
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:40 AM   #29
Tech Master

Talking

Quote:

dude, i am going to be on that site droolling for years

ive tried getting a bit of vintage going at my track but no one is interested.down the coast a bit near Brisbane they have been doing the odd vintage race,bit too far away for me

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161373 vintage aussie style
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8 View Post
dude, i am going to be on that site droolling for years

ive tried getting a bit of vintage going at my track but no one is interested.down the coast a bit near Brisbane they have been doing the odd vintage race,bit too far away for me

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=161373 vintage aussie style
I have seen pictures from that event before on Tamiyaclub. Looks like they had fun.
If you want to get vintage racing going it takes a little doing but the main thing is to have fun. Just bring a car and show if off.If that dosent work bring two cars and let someone drive the other one. Just keep trying and maybe something will happen.