Wiki Posts
Search

mip axles

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mip axles

here guys, i got a good question for ya, i broke another MIP axle yes another, this is two in a month, any suggestions on how to prevent this. ever happend to anyone besides me?
this sould make a good laugh too.. let me know

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x220/rc10guy/
Old 08-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10guy
here guys, i got a good question for ya, i broke another MIP axle yes another, this is two in a month, any suggestions on how to prevent this. ever happend to anyone besides me?
this sould make a good laugh too.. let me know

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x220/rc10guy/
Looks like you have that on a T3 with a custom shock tower. If the shock setup lets the wheel move too far in the direction of compressing the shock, you could be in a situation where the CVD bone is being bent by the end of the outdrive. Check your wheel travel and put compression limiters on the shock sgaft if necessary.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

thats all good, iam using aluminum RC10GT rear hubs, with T4 axles, but the drive line is supper strait and smooth, i was in my track at my house, going around the only turn that isnt banked and puched it, the front end came up and POP there it went. i dono it musta just hoooked up supper good, iam running a sphere with a vector x 5.5 w/sintered rotor, tons of torque, but look at the nitro power. so i dont know if it was a flaw in the manufacturing of the axle or something. iam gonna call mip tommaro, see if they can do something, i just bought them 2wks ago. if not there only 30 bucks for a set.
iam really just wondering if this has happend to any else.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10guy
thats all good, iam using aluminum RC10GT rear hubs, with T4 axles, but the drive line is supper strait and smooth, i was in my track at my house, going around the only turn that isnt banked and puched it, the front end came up and POP there it went. i dono it musta just hoooked up supper good, iam running a sphere with a vector x 5.5 w/sintered rotor, tons of torque, but look at the nitro power. so i dont know if it was a flaw in the manufacturing of the axle or something. iam gonna call mip tommaro, see if they can do something, i just bought them 2wks ago. if not there only 30 bucks for a set.
iam really just wondering if this has happend to any else.
Make sure you cvd is not going to far back into the out drive.
I think the t4's are longer than the t3.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If it isnt a plunge type problem, how tight is your slipper? A little "give" there saves lots of wear and tear on the drivetrain.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

also how smooth is your outdrive? if its not smooth it can catch the pin in the bone and snap also as said before if the pin hits in the outdrive (from being too long) it would do it as well. i bent my first one in 2 years of racing. that was on some big rough/fast tracks and i landed really poorly and popped a rear ball cup off.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You said this was a T3 with the T4 axle conversion, correct? If so, you MUST put the aluminum spacer (7377) that goes in between the bearings in the r hub. That will stop you're axles from snapping.

Also, make sure you build the r hub just like the T4 with the proper silver washers, and that thick aluminum washer that butts up against the inside of the rim.

Last edited by d4man; 08-20-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: cant speel
Old 08-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

your all correct, but iam not using the T3 hubs, there GT hubs which bring the length out, the axles sit now just like the stock set would fit with the T3 hubs. the bearing spacers are in, and its shimmed perfectly. i called MIP today, they said to send them in, its not the first time its happend and there prolly going to give me a new bone. its a clean break too, it dosnt look like it has a twist to it, so thats telling me that it didnt get "hung up" it just plain snaped. keep the ideas coming, the MIP tech is going to call me in a few days ill keep everyone updated. and i dont want this to sound like iam bashing MIP. IAM NOT. i love that company, there product is top notch, ive been using them since i started in the hobby. Just a fluke i guess.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugenlife
also how smooth is your outdrive? if its not smooth it can catch the pin in the bone and snap
+1, I've had that happen to me already on my T4. After awhile the pin wears a notch in the outdrive and it'll start yanking the ball ends right off the dogbone shaft.