R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tenpins77
Default spektrum glitch?

hey,

I have the dx2 and the spektrum pro reciever. I just installed the electronics in my car two days ago, turned everything on, and it worked fine. I went this morning to break in the motor, and i noticed a wierd glitching problem. When i looked at the reciever i noticed the green light kept glitching on and off while the servo and esc were glitching. Almost seemed like they were being delayed to what i was doing on the controller. I had the same problem with my brushless system, and decided to go back to brushed. Okay, i know spektrum makes a cap, that will hold some power. Im running the futaba 9350 servo, and i know that says it has a high current drain, think the spektrum cap would help?

alright, any tips suggestions would be greatly apprecieated
tenpins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Tech Addict

also, i just turned it on tonight, and the glitching went away, after i unplugged everything?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My friend and I were having that issue when I installed his Spektrum system. I have found out it is a battery issue. It is voltage problem and that is why it glitches. It seems to happens when the batteries start getting low in charge.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
Tech Addict

yes the cap will fix it. install it!

Brushless+Spektrum+some kind of fet/highpower servos dont mix too well
PaulJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i was having the same problem, i installed a seperate 4AA rx pack to run just the electronics and i havnt had an issue yet. ive here the cap works, but i got board and wanted the challange of making the seperate pack work. i believe its a voltage drop issue because spektrum requires not only voltage but amp. too. ck out this pic. its what i did to solve the problem.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...3/IMG_2935.jpg
iam also running a motor fan off this too. still no problem.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I had the same problem. I installed a compasader and have not had any problems since
rccrazyindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Try to rebind it again. I've heard of guys having to do this a few times to actually keep it from thinking it was out of range. If this doesnt help, add the spektrum cap, there like $4 or something with a RX plug already to plug into any open slot on the receiver.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
Tech Master

Had the glitch buster on my Spektrum that solved the problem on small tracks, but Farm is a big track that had the glitching come back on the furthest corners of the track, so I solved it by getting rid of the Spektrum and installing the Futaba Fasst system in my 3PK....problem solved!!!!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to stickman310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
Had the glitch buster on my Spektrum that solved the problem on small tracks, but Farm is a big track that had the glitching come back on the furthest corners of the track, so I solved it by getting rid of the Spektrum and installing the Futaba Fasst system in my 3PK....problem solved!!!!
Why was it glitching in the first place? Was it just because you were running brushless or a high drain servo? It's just that I'm getting a spektrum and I thought they were really good with range etc.
stickman310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Same here. I was looking to get one. I have a short range with my AM Futaba with no glitching, why should I drop the cash just to see little or no improvment.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to stickman310

So far all I have is a stock XP2 AM radio which came with my B4 RS, I get heaps of glitching with it in certain areas around my small local track, but the Spektrum guys don't seem to have any problems. I get a glitch right in a corner of the track where there is a power line above it; I don't even have to be on the grandstand, so long as I'm on the opposite side of the power line I get major glitching. I also get a glitch in a corner where there is a tree.
stickman310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 AM   #12
Tech Master

I don't know if of you guys seen my supercar I built to run on a 1/4 mile strip. I tested with it using 2 3pk radios with 2 complete regular Spektrum systems and also 2 complete Spektrum Pro systems that I only got around 300' of range on the regular with the Pro one even worse at around 200'. I had to go back to the the regular Futaba 75 mhz crystals to get 1500'+ of range.

Spektrum is not what it represented to be. Just check most National events abd you will see maybe 1/2 of the pros using 2.4 ghz and is usually the brand that is with that radio and not spektrum. Pretty bad when the Horizon/Losi sponsored guys don't even use it.

I did use the Spektrum for 1 1/2 year with very little problems until we started racing at the Farm that is huge track with around 250 to 300' to some of the spots on the track. I was using a Novak GTB spread spektrum esc with a 5.5 novak motor and added a glitch buster that helped some, but still had a glitch after a hard throttle pull at the furthest spot on the track from the drivers stand.

I hope my experience helps with this and this does not mean it will happen to you because we have others with the same set up with no problems. Let me add there is a few that the glitch buster fixed it too!

I am very happy with the Futaba Fasst in my 3pk.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Not the future after all...

I've sadly experienced the same problems. For 1:10 OR it's been quite ok, since the tracks aren't that big. But for 1:8 TR it's not good enough. It's typically at a far corner or straight in front, furthest away.

I drive with a stick radio (Fut 3VC), holding it flat. This means the antenna is upside down. Which is a disadvantage. Having it point "flat" does not help, then it glitches straight ahead. Having it point downwards is best. But still, this is not acceptable.

Guess I should have waited for Futabas own 2,4 GHz system... (FASST)
Oh well, more money to spend... will try the Cap first though... (SPM1600 is the part no)

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-30-2007 at 07:10 AM.
shy@klp.no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 AM   #14
Tech Master

I sneaked my electric truck on the track during the Nats last weekend at the Farm using 2 different trucks and 2 Fasst r/xs with no problems and was the Farm using the largest layout they can use for the Gas Truck Nats.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Smile answers

the part number is on spektrums web site. So far i installed the cap, havent had any problems. Im still working on finishing the rebuild, new motor esc, etc. however when im breaking in the motor on my work bench, i dont seem to have any issues.

Im runnin the dx2 and except for the fact that im using an over powered servo i wouldn't of had any issues in the first spot. I think we need to just figure that most of these servos such as my 9350 are meant for nitro 1/8 cars, that have an extra battery pack to run these servos. Top that off with spektrums pro receiver and your pulling a pretty big load there, not to mention the motor itself in the car.

i dont know about you, but ide rather take the freedom of running my car whenever i want, and not have to worry about crystals so sacrifice a few feet with reception?