Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GTB settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Novak GTB settings

I am new to RC cars, previously had Tamiya's. I have a HB D4 and Novak GTB with 5.5 velocity motor. Can anyone recommend some settings for the ESC ?

Thanks
Rory
Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just run the #1 setting. I used to use the #2 but felt a little to aggressive for me.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I reduced the drag brake setting 1 step below the factory setting on my XXX4 to help reduce the loose condition going into some corners. Haven't messed any settings on my T4.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 AM
D4
Tech Initiate

You should have bought a Sphere LRP, which are the best and simple to program nuf nuf!!!

D4 King
Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Rory, you can start off with profile 1 and go from there.

Profile 1 and 3 for me, depending on track conditions.

I also play around with drag brake depending on traction when decelerating going into a corner and whether I use a center one-way or full 4WD on my Tamiya Dark Impact. On very loose/slippery tracks, I run zero drag brake.

-----------------------

Originally Posted by D4
You should have bought a Sphere LRP, which are the best and simple to program nuf nuf!!!

D4 King
How's your newly bought LRP Sphere that you were having problems with and got burnt up?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...26&postcount=1
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...7&postcount=21
Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default LRP Sphere Comp - dud!

This is my second setup. I too had a LRP Sphere comp. Mine only lasted 5 minutes before it burnt out. I was lucky as i caught it burning out on my work bench. I was doing some testing after my motor stopped 1/2 way around the track.
I did not want to risk anything so i let it cool down for 10 minutes then re-plugged it then the smoke began.

I waited 28 days for my order from Tower Hobbies to turn up and got 5 minutes of use. Now it is on the way back to the USA. I wanted to get back into it, hence buying the Novak option.

I wonder how long it will take to get replaced ???

Rory
Old 08-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Novak Settings

Thanks to all those that replied with useful information. I appreciate it, as you can see my return the rc offroad has not been a fun one. (YET)

Just a quick one about D4!! He is a mate of mine, i fly and race with him about 3 times a week, he is just taking the piss. (he is the major NufNuf and a DC).
Old 08-15-2007, 02:11 AM
D4
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jobo_ph

I also play around with drag brake depending on traction when decelerating going into a corner and whether I use a center one-way or full 4WD on my Tamiya Dark Impact. On very loose/slippery tracks, I run zero drag brake.

-----------------------

How's your newly bought LRP Sphere that you were having problems with and got burnt up?

Yes admit they have had some quality control issues. And yes mine went up in smoke sadly. BUT I had a replacement under waranty within the week which is great cust support and the new one does not have any BEC issues or tripping out issues and runs like a dream touch wood!!!!

I have heard Novak have had their sahre of issues also. maybe we should start a LRP versus Novak thread and let the numbers do the talking!!!!

D4 King
Old 08-15-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jobo_ph

-----------------------

Gotta love it when people recommend stuff just because they have it.

Well, I have had both the Novak GTB and LRP Sphere Comp. Sold the Sphere Comp. Have had the Novak for almost 1.5 years now and zero problems. Even without the sintered rotor it had a lot more punch than the LRP. It's great that a company might have awesome CS, but I would rather not have to find out. Most of the guys at our track run GTB's. Profile setting 1 is great for 4WD. The drag brake on the other non-reverse settings makes it a little squirrelly into the turns as another poster said. If you don't already have the updated version with the sintered rotor, I highly recommend getting it. Runs a lot cooler and the brakes grab like all get out. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D4
Yes admit they have had some quality control issues. And yes mine went up in smoke sadly. BUT I had a replacement under waranty within the week which is great cust support and the new one does not have any BEC issues or tripping out issues and runs like a dream touch wood!!!!

I have heard Novak have had their sahre of issues also. maybe we should start a LRP versus Novak thread and let the numbers do the talking!!!!

D4 King
He he... This "versus" thing will always add spice to anything...

Sometimes, I just can't help but feel proud of my problem-free year old GTBs. So, pardon me if I sometimes poke at other people's misfortune with the rival of Novak in the BL market.

More than a year ago when I was in BL buying mode, I perused a lot of forums to get an understanding of people's experiences with their LRP and Novak BL systems.

What made me choose Novak? They had much much much much much less reported problems compared to LRP.

Hey, spending more than $200 for an ESC and motor is never a light matter specially for me. So, I went with what I researched to be the most reliable system.

There is no denying Novak's quality and support.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hows this: i got a heavily used novak 7.5 gtb system...

And it works perfectly!

it previously came from a hardcore basher who, well, bashed his trucks to smithereens! he's probably put more than 100 packs through, befor it got into my hands, and it works flawlessly! now, there are sratches on the motor, but its held its performance integrity very well.

the only thing i dislike about the gtb is its brushed mode: you put all 3 wires on one part of the motor! it looks gheto. maybe it should be designed to use 2 wires on one, and one wire on the other: it would be much simpler.

Cheers!