Search

LRP Sphere BEC problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:14 AM
D4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default LRP Sphere BEC problem

I have just got a new LRP Sphere ESC with the 5.5 turn LRP brushless motor combo deal from Tower. I am running a Airtronics digital servo with a spektrum rx in a Cyclone D4.

The ESC BEC seems to trip out after I turn it on and apply full throttle. The buggy lurches forward then stops???

Is my RX sensing low voltage and going into fail safe??? Any thoughts???
Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Tech Legend

Check to make sure you wired the motor correctly & then make sure the sensor harness is plugged in on both motor & the ESC.
Then reprogram ...

If this does not work , then try a different motor ....
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

My sphere did the same thing when I first installed it. After rebinding my spectrum the problem went away. After awile your Spectrum module and reciever will drift apart and take a sec. to find each other when powered on. From what I've read you need to rebind your Spectrum on a regular basis.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Ahhh...LOL...same-old same-old...LOL

Spektrum needs good voltage and LRP speedos don't do a very good job of supplying good voltage. You'd think that eventually LRP would figure that stuff out...LOL

There are about 100,000 posts on here about this issue (ok...that may be a LITTLE high... but there are a lot.). Check the "Spektrum" thread in the onroad forum. You're probably going to need to add a Spektrum capacitor.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default Re-Bind

I agree with trying to re-bind before you do anything else. It's a good idea to re-bind anytime you make a change to any settings. Any ESC changes or even TX changes. It only takes a few seconds. I've heard that the capacitor helps and it's only about $7, but I've never used one. I've run the LRP/Spek combo for a couple of years now with no troubles.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

well my new sphere comp 07 has no bec voltage at all....
Old 07-11-2007, 02:01 AM
D4
Tech Initiate

Hmm I tried the Cap thing. No good. I am using Spektrum DSM 2 rx and an Airtronics digi servo. When you give the ESC around three quarter throttle it shut down. This means the ESC BEC is falling below 3.5 volts to a claimed 6 volts on the spec sheet. I know this because the RX goes into fail safe at 3.5 volts. The ESC is NOT independant of the BEC.

Bit poor really. I would have thought LRP would have got it right by now. Not happy Jan.

D4
Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up ESC Fix

D4,

Disconnect your motor, tire on some fishing line and reel it in. No Motor no problems !!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:54 AM
D4
Tech Initiate

Default Still got problems

OK

Still got LRP Sphere problems as follows;

# Am running a separate BEC to isolate Sphere BEC to eliminate this issue.

# Now with a fully charged pack the Sphere will shut down at about one third throttle. Little red led goes yellow. Turn off and on and does this about 6/7 times.

# Then after it warms up so to speak, no issues at all. Can wak full throttle and it rund like a dream???

So with BEC disabled after warming up at one quarter throttle for 60 seconds it runs fine.

Running a 18 tooth pinion in a D4 with 5.5T LRP brushless.

Is my Sphere faulty????

Any thoughts here?????
Old 08-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I read the posts in this thread... Makes me happy I have a year-old Novak GTB BL system that has never brought me any problems...

Sorry, D4...
Old 08-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I 2nd that jobo_ph! If it was a Novak ESC with a problem Charlie would be on here by now giving tips and in a worst case scenario he would initiate the ESC be returned to them. That is Customer Service for ya!
Old 08-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STEALTH
I 2nd that jobo_ph! If it was a Novak ESC with a problem Charlie would be on here by now giving tips and in a worst case scenario he would initiate the ESC be returned to them. That is Customer Service for ya!
Hey, that's nice jobo_ph and STEALTH. I'm sure the guy wants to hear how great your stuff is. It will really help him figure out his problem. Yes, Novak has great customer service and we all know Charlie. Is that an endorsement? I got to know Charlie because my Novak crap was always malfunctioning. My Sphere is going on 3 years with no issues.

To the problem. D4, did you disable the BEC on your Sphere when you hooked up the external BEC? Have you tried different profiles to see if that affects the problem?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by D4
OK

Still got LRP Sphere problems as follows;

# Am running a separate BEC to isolate Sphere BEC to eliminate this issue.

# Now with a fully charged pack the Sphere will shut down at about one third throttle. Little red led goes yellow. Turn off and on and does this about 6/7 times.

# Then after it warms up so to speak, no issues at all. Can wak full throttle and it rund like a dream???

So with BEC disabled after warming up at one quarter throttle for 60 seconds it runs fine.

Running a 18 tooth pinion in a D4 with 5.5T LRP brushless.

Is my Sphere faulty????

Any thoughts here?????

Did you switch motor`s yet ?

still sounds like a motor sensor issue .....

You can`t beat the Lrp Competition performance....

Its the best !
Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jobo_ph
I read the posts in this thread... Makes me happy I have a year-old Novak GTB BL system that has never brought me any problems...

Sorry, D4...
You are missing out ...

No fan
no thermals

Its heaven ! (Competition)
Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm a noob to this issue (thank God), but it sounds like more of a Spektrum problem than an LRP problem to me. Why would Spektrum make their receivers require so much voltage to operate correctly? I would think that the ideal scenario would be to make receivers that require as little voltage as possible so the maximum amount of voltage could go to the motor. I've been using LRP Spheres for quite some time now with Futaba 75MHZ recievers and now with the Futaba FASST receivers and I've never had any kind of problems. I'd give the guys at AE/LRP a call on Monday and see what they think you should do or maybe even exchange your LRP system for a Novak GTB SS system.

Now here's an unfair comment to counter all the unfair LRP bashing:

Maybe the GTB and the Spektrum are just a match made in heaven. The GTB has thermal issues and the Spektrum has binding issues, but at least they are compatible with each other.

Last edited by Leodis; 08-04-2007 at 08:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.