R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #76
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jeff K.

Jim, you are so true. haha. I was watching 4wd videos from the track in Finland and after 3 minutes or so, and seeing how the leader pretty much was hitting the same lines and apexes, I was going to watch the 2wd when the 2nd place took him out. I watched for another minute or so...haha
It's like some sports, watching it just isn't as much fun as doing it.

Does anyone from Losi or Horizon actually know how many parts they still have left or how much longer they will continue to make parts like the shock towers and the front bulkhead?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 AM   #77
Tech Regular

why do people like robot wars?

why does robot wars get TV coverage? its basically RC bumper cars made from trash that you can't buy.

compare that with 10th or 8th off-road, big jumps, big crashes, wrecked cars, close racing.

I know I (and most of us) see it from a bias view (we all love racing that why we talk about it on the internet) but surely RC racing is much more appealing than RobotWars?
Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 AM   #78
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StOnEfAn527 View Post
Jim, you are so true. haha. I was watching 4wd videos from the track in Finland and after 3 minutes or so, and seeing how the leader pretty much was hitting the same lines and apexes, I was going to watch the 2wd when the 2nd place took him out. I watched for another minute or so...haha
It's like some sports, watching it just isn't as much fun as doing it.
bear in mind those were single camera 'amateur' videos.

and your last line in my quote... thats the point, people will watch... and think, wow, I want a go.... instantly more money coming into our hobby.

fairly new this year is RC Racing TV in the UK - have a look http://www.centralbooking.org/rcracing.tv/
they do a good job of making the racing interesting, even if its just on-road

how many times have we seen an F1 race, watch the first lap and know who is going to be on the top step of podium at the end?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

But, I haven't seen the Robot Wars on TV in quite some time, I assume it was cancelled due to poor ratings?

I thought it was boring as could be, I could only watch when a really awesome and mean looking Robot was coming up to see some carnage, otherwise, most of them were terrible. I'd see one hit a hammer on the other Robot and turn over.....

...Thinking, where is that darn remote control?

R/C would be far more exciting, imo.

Yet, I can't get into things like Go Cart racing on TV, it is very cool, but I think it is simply because I don't know the drivers, like in Moto GP, Nascar, Drag racing, etc.

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #80
Tech Regular

I see what your saying Jim, but in the UK we don't get much drag racing, I happened to find a channel in the UK called 'FiveUS' and its has some drag racing on it, watched it for about 30 minutes to quickly 'learn' who the stars are, John Force and his Daughter seem to be 'stars' from the TV coverage I watched. I soon started to watch closer when John Force was staging up against someone.

how long would it take for Joe Public to work out who the fast guys are in RC?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

True, anyone who takes a little interest would figure things out quickly. The problem is, who is the fast guy?

LOL, Tebo wins gas truck most of the time, Cavalieri the worlds, Mayfield keep on winning alot of big races, then there is Masami(imo, the greatest ever so far!). How many times has the former world champ not even made the A main the next time around?

My thoughts are that the companies inspire the media to make stars of a handful of racers, maybe even create some rivalries.
Aka, wrestling, Nascar, Almost all pro sports have them, since Fans LOVE rivalries.

The R/C sport may do well initially without them, but it would help in the long run and speed things up!!!

...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #82
Tech Regular

The car is on horizon for backorder right now.
indaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #83
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jeff K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indaway View Post
The car is on horizon for backorder right now.
It's been saying that for a while now. A few people have called them up, and they discontinued it for sure.

Hopefully their molds are still in good shape to keep making parts for some time.