R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
Just because they arent 100% race as before doesnt mean theyve given up racing.
what the point of going racing if your not 100% commited??

In the results of big races losi hasnt been there like it used to be, so why would they want to go racing if they just keep turning up with the same second rate cars.

Look at Assosiated, it is continuallyimproving and promoting its products, and it shows in the results and sales.
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2 View Post

In the results of big races losi hasnt been there like it used to be, so why would they want to go racing if they just keep turning up with the same second rate cars.

Look at Assosiated, it is continuallyimproving and promoting its products, and it shows in the results and sales.
If Cav wasn't the baddest mofo racer on the planet and not have dominated every major race out there would people still buy a Associated? Not. That dude would dominate with any car be it Losi, Kyosho or Tyco. They do have a good car, but I don't think it's any better.
As for second rate. I think Losi is a better quality kit. It's all in the details. More adjustments, better shocks, ballstuds, servo saver, etc. All this and you don't need all that lead weight in the car!
I do hope Horizon does stay true to the Losi faithfull. Keep turning out awesome cars. XXXT-CR looks good. Would love to see a fresh 4wd soon. Even though my 10yr old XX4WE still kicks ass against the newest stuff out there. How's that for second rate car?
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Quote:
Just because they arent 100% race as before doesnt mean theyve given up racing.
We'll see what happens in the coming years (to all the manufacturers). I have a feeling that we are going to end up racing with toys, instead of hobbists playing with racecars.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

They are toys.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2 View Post

Eh really? So they didnt win the Nats? Didnt release an 8 and 8T? Didnt release a CR-T?

Oh ok. What I meant by my statement is that they are not JUST a race company like they used to be. If they WERE to stay like that they wouldnt be in business.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Andy

You really think its going to go that bad/ in that direction? I know someone out here who mentioned a while back that they thought that Losi was pretty much through with racing now that Horizon picked them up, and he is a very good source of true information but with Associated/Thunder Tiger releasing a New 4wd, still pretty much a BJ4 and all these other companies such as Tamiya making a full blown wheeler and MRC coming out with a 2wd buggy, plus Kyosho making their own 2wd buggy. It actually looks like we have more of a slection now then years back! I realise RTR sells more kits and is more profitable, but look how many $400 sedans sell, etc. It would appear that their is still a large demand for these higher priced performance kits to warrant R&D and new developments. The sad thing is Losi was racing based to start with being that the JRX2 was their first car they ever produced and now they are going the other route, Hope Associted/Thunder Tiger doesn't follow that route. I would imagine the B44 is a good sign otherwise but maybe I'm wrong! It looks like all the foreign manufacturers are taking over where the American companys stopped. No more U.S. kits by the looks of things, unless some New companys pop up!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:36 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

Is it just me or is Associated starting to release the RTR and cheaper smaller scale cars as well now? Everyone keeps blaming Losi for being innovative and making stuff that sells, think about it, if any one car or type of car can bring one more person into the hobby than Losi have achieved more than a race only team such as many people are toting AE as, Losi introduce people into the hobby then they can move on to something bigger and more race worthy if they choose that path, and guess what... Losi already have there bases covered, they have a name thats recognized and younger drivers will buy a XXXT-CR over a T4 if they ever went racing when they get bored of there mini T, because the XXXT-CR is Losi and so is there mini T, thats smart marketing for Horizon and for all of us to. Think about it, its not bad at all what Horizon is doing, its helping the hobby.
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
They are toys.
What I meant by "toys" is vehicles of lower quality, ones that have no exotic parts, mached aluminum, or carbon fiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WailinOnYa View Post
Andy

You really think its going to go that bad/ in that direction? I know someone out here who mentioned a while back that they thought that Losi was pretty much through with racing now that Horizon picked them up, and he is a very good source of true information but with Associated/Thunder Tiger releasing a New 4wd, still pretty much a BJ4 and all these other companies such as Tamiya making a full blown wheeler and MRC coming out with a 2wd buggy, plus Kyosho making their own 2wd buggy. It actually looks like we have more of a slection now then years back! I realise RTR sells more kits and is more profitable, but look how many $400 sedans sell, etc. It would appear that their is still a large demand for these higher priced performance kits to warrant R&D and new developments. The sad thing is Losi was racing based to start with being that the JRX2 was their first car they ever produced and now they are going the other route, Hope Associted/Thunder Tiger doesn't follow that route. I would imagine the B44 is a good sign otherwise but maybe I'm wrong! It looks like all the foreign manufacturers are taking over where the American companys stopped. No more U.S. kits by the looks of things, unless some New companys pop up!
Im afraid your source could be correct. I highly doubt that Horizon is going to want to develop a XXXX buggy or truck, once the CR and T-CR have outlived their shelf life. The same goes for the 8ight and 8ight-T. RTRs are cheaper to make, have larger margins AND sell 10x of what the racing vehicles do. Its the sad reality of business, and "business" now owns the two US racing companies.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMoore View Post
What I meant by "toys" is vehicles of lower quality, ones that have no exotic parts, mached aluminum, or carbon fiber.

Im afraid your source could be correct. I highly doubt that Horizon is going to want to develop a XXXX buggy or truck, once the CR and T-CR have outlived their shelf life. The same goes for the 8ight and 8ight-T. RTRs are cheaper to make, have larger margins AND sell 10x of what the racing vehicles do. Its the sad reality of business, and "business" now owns the two US racing companies.
Many of their RTRs are based off racing machines.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Many of their RTRs are based off racing machines.

That is partially true. The LST, Mini-LST, Mini-T(and variants), and Micro-T(and variants) arent really based on racing vehicles, yet Id be willing to bet are the best sellers. The vehicles that are race vehicle based are done so to aid in recovering the costs of development or to help further the hardly spectacular profits.

As little racing credibility as Traxxas has anymore...it doesnt matter. They are selling far more vehicles, and making far more money than any of the companies who sell racecars (aside from Tamiya and Kyosho who also sell many other hobby products). TTR and Horizon must be aware of this, and could very well attempt to move the race companies in that direction. Its fairly clear in the case of Losi, and it has yet to be seen with TTR/AE. Only time will tell, but from a smart business standpoint, the "race" market means very little.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Well not really, the mini, micro are based off the XXX-T, only shrunk.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

who really cares? lol there are soo many other great 4wd buggys coming out.

even hpi and yoko are coming out with 2wd buggys soo, we loose one racing company but gain others...

new rivals? Associated and Kyosho? now kyosho just needs a 2wd truck! id switch from AE to Kyo if they came out with a truck
Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM   #43
Tech Addict

Yok is coming out with a 2wd? You sure you aren't thinking of the new Academy?
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Quote:
Well not really, the mini, micro are based off the XXX-T, only shrunk.
I knew you were going to say that. The XXXT-MF, MF2 and CR are based of XXXT, the Mini and Micro-Ts appear similar, but do not share any parts. They are not "shrunk" to scale either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake S View Post
who really cares? lol there are soo many other great 4wd buggys coming out.

even hpi and yoko are coming out with 2wd buggys soo, we loose one racing company but gain others...

new rivals? Associated and Kyosho? now kyosho just needs a 2wd truck! id switch from AE to Kyo if they came out with a truck
I think many of the American racers who were dedicated to supporting Losi care. The HPI and Academy (thanks mfishel) will be nothing revolutionary, as you can see with the CAD pics of the Academy car. Its also unlikely that Kyosho will release another truck, due to the size of the market for it. Although I wish they would to add another option there. In fact as a long time AE guy, Im buying an RB5, haha.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:56 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

It seems like rather then race kits made in the USA, Japan and England, the RC industry has evolved into RTR's made in China, or elsewhere.

Even Japan makes their cars in China, or indonesia, etc., very often, LOL.

Of course this widens the profit margin for manufacturers, but oddly enough doesn't mean cheaper kits here in the states...usually?

Computers are cheaper there
Dog food is cheaper there
Toothpaste is cheaper
Baby toys are cheaper
Tires are cheaper too....

Of course they just executed the man in charge of over seeing exports for taking bribes and passing on inferior products to over seas consumers.

...But, it's cheaper.

Are we headed in the right direction??

All are manufactured over seas as cheaply as possible, not as good as possible.

hmmmm
...Jim
W.E.D.
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote