R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default The Li-Po Low Down.....

I hate to ask a question that I am sure has been covered several times but hey, I will do it anyway. If you don't mind helping a brotha out, give me some low down on the Li-Po thing. I have raced for several years but have taken a few off. Anyway, the Li-Po thing looks pimp, but from what I've heard people / track owners are worried about running them (Indoor anyways).

A few ?'s..

1. Average runtime per charge (10 to 13 turn mods) In Buggy.

2. Charge time (From dead to peak).

3. Is there anything I am missing (special care, ect..).

Thanks in advance... VJ
Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

1. Average runtime per charge (10 to 13 turn mods) In Buggy.
20 min with a 6000mah

2. Charge time (From dead to peak).
45 min

3. Is there anything I am missing (special care, ect..).
NEVER let it discharge below 6 volts use a lipo charger and a balancer.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the kind response man!!!!! Take it easy man..
Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
from what I've heard people / track owners are worried about running them (Indoor anyways).
Rest assured li-pos are safer than nickel batteries if handled per the manufacturers instructions and besides the Electric Pro Series allows them and ROAR allowed them at the Electric Off-Road Nats this year in an exhibition class that most of the top Pros raced in.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
Rest assured li-pos are safer than nickel batteries if handled per the manufacturers instructions and besides the Electric Pro Series allows them and ROAR allowed them at the Electric Off-Road Nats this year in an exhibition class that most of the top Pros raced in.
Look I have run nothing but lipo for over 6 years and the fact is that they are not safer then nixx batteries. Remember I use them ONLY. But if you think that a plastic envelope containing 3 times and more the potential power is safer then a metal caned nixx battery you are mistaken. The only ones that come close to the full safety are the ones that are built into the hard plastic cases like the Orion ones. I also have never had a problem with a lipo but I have sen it live many times. I test them for many manufacturers and intentionally cause them to rupture a lot and I have seen them burst into flames in planes and in cars. So this can and dose happen. Now it is getting harder and harder to do this all the time. The batteries I test now take many times the intentional abuse to get them to rupture. Short of throwing a nixx battery into a fire I have not seen one burst into a almost white ball of fire for several minutes.

Handled correctly they are safe. But never let your guard down. If they go they go BIG.
RURC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

How many Orion packs have you seen fail? We only use the hard cased Orion stuff locally. I have seen Nimh packs go and they're violent.
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Friday we had a guy charge his Orion 3200 as a nimh battery by mistake and both cells puffed up. We took it outside poked a hole in it and then threw it around all over the parking lot trying to get it to go BOOM! and it never did. Saturday a brand new NimH pack was being charged perfectly normal and a bad cell exploded like a firecracker...
Delyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
Tech Master

Here in the Carolinas the li-pos out number the nickel batteries at most tracks and I have yet to hear about a li-po blowing up, catching fire, igniting or even burning. Now we have swelled a few up that went out of balance or was over discharged that includes the expensive batteries in the plastic box too. The swelling makes it alot better the nickel batteries because the li-po will warn you way in advance with a problem compared to several of the nickel batteries that just popped with no warning at all throwing hot metal shrapnel like a grenade......very dangerous with no warning what so ever!!!

Li-pos are safer than nickel batteries anyday when both are handled by the manufacturers instructions.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delyt View Post
Friday we had a guy charge his Orion 3200 as a nimh battery by mistake and both cells puffed up.
This is the reason to buy quality LiPo because that's exactly what they should do. Your chance of fire greatly increases with a cheap LiPo when mistreated.

Quote:
Li-pos are safer than nickel batteries anyday when both are handled by the manufacturers instructions.
Quality LiPos are safer, that is.
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
Tech Master

Thunder Power and MaxAmps both have had no problems with fires around here where li-pos out number the nickel batteries and both have good customer service departments that stands behind they're products!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
Tech Addict

I think both are just as bad, if run per recomendations, both are good. I guess it boils down to one thing, which do you prefer to deal with, white hot fire (lipo's if burst) or schrapnal (NIMH if pop). I have pushed NIMH's to the breaking point with stock motors, I have yet to make a LIPO sweat
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
How many Orion packs have you seen fail? We only use the hard cased Orion stuff locally. I have seen Nimh packs go and they're violent.
I have seen it 2 times. One time was intentional by me. The other was after a mi2 was t-boned by a nitro on road car in a parking lot. It took about 15 seconds for it to happen. You could smell it before it went.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thunder Power and MaxAmps both have had no problems with fires around here where li-pos out number the nickel batteries and both have good customer service departments that stands behind they're products!

One reason those are good packs is because I test them before you get them. I see more than most because of this.

Look I love lipo and I think it is the future of the sport but you have to be careful. The potential contained in these packs can be volatile.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RURC View Post
One reason those are good packs is because I test them before you get them. I see more than most because of this.

Look I love lipo and I think it is the future of the sport but you have to be careful. The potential contained in these packs can be volatile.
You don't have to test them for me, I do my own testing with high speed chassis breaking battery flinging crashes and I have not burned one up yet in 4 years of competitive racing with them!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Default li po po

In San Diego Li-po has been popular for a while. The biggest draw back is the car gets harder to drive with a smokin hot pack that doesn't weigh any thing. They weight a lot less, and the car was designed to have that weight there. It is rad for stock motors because it acts like a 19 turn. It will make A 19-turn feel like an open mod. And with say a 12-double, unless you turn your EPA high down on you throtle (a cool 30 points) you will atain ludicrouse speed. Like in space balls. We need Li-Po at the JBRL. I know racers that are growing tired of the expense, and the work required to have competative Ni-Mh packs.
BrianKuyper is offline   Reply With Quote