R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #76
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate60 View Post
I wonder how many racers out there consider this a hobby? For me it is the cheapest (and safest!) form of motorsport there is.

I think the HOBBY is doing great. The proliferation of el cheapo kits out there speak volumes for the market. The SPORT probably needs some work however...
Smartest post of all.

The Hobby has always been good for racing yet racing has not always been good for the hobby. Tricky huh..?
A lot of good ideas in here though. But we are racing, its a product of the hobby.

We should define Hobby from racing in order to better understand what the difference is.

Is it really a hobby.?
The hobby of racing just doesn't cut it. To be honest I call it RC/Racing. But truthfully I'm not sure what to call it.?
The personal gratification would be the defining factor. And maybe thats why its called a hobby.?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #77
Tech Lord

Hobby:"

1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

2. an auxiliary activity [syn: avocation]

3. something a person enjoys doing (usually frequently) in his/her spare time and not for pay
Example: Stamp-collecting is a popular hobby.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm sure people that have raced at least over 7 years will agree with this. Racing has gone out of control and has been less inviting to new comers.

Just try to remember a typical pit area from 7 years ago. It consisted of your car 2 battery packs and a charger. The hard core guys had bulb type discharges and nobody cut comms at the track. lol

Fast forward to current times and you got guys with a power station two charges, pulse dischargers, equalizers, car stand hacco iron, motor station, with every ones heads down baby sitting batteries and cutting motors for a freaking club race thats so dilluted with three classes of each chasis so we end up with 20 heats with 3 to 7 cars per heat.

Keep it simple guys, I understand this mentallity at the big races but this is still a hobby and from a by standers view point most don't look like they are having fun.....

Another point is stop trying to save the hobby and just have fun. I used to worry about all that crap, I just pretty much race when I want to and just make sure that i'm having fun when I do decide to go out and race for the day.

Last edited by Francis M.; 08-08-2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: adding content
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
I'm sure people that have raced at least over 7 years will agree with this. Racing has gone out of control and has been less inviting to new comers.
We were saying the exact same thing in 2000. And 1995. And 1990.

Quote:
Just try to remember a typical pit area from 7 years ago. It consisted of your car 2 battery packs and a charger. The hard core guys had bulb type discharges and nobody cut comms at the track. lol
In 2000, the guys I raced with had a TurboThirty next to their two other high end chargers and at least 4 2000mAh packs per vehicle. Lots of guys had bulb dischargers and I was cutting comms all. the. time.

Quote:
Keep it simple guys, I understand this mentallity at the big races but this is still a hobby and from a by standers view point most don't look like they are having fun.....
You can't control other people's perceptions. The guys I raced against are some of the most competitive people you'll ever meet (myself included) yet I watched some kids jump in around 2002-2004 and they've become very competitive. They weren't looking at the dollars to get involved. They got involved because they wanted to beat everyone, just like the seasoned guys do.

Quote:
Another point is stop trying to save the hobby and just have fun. I used to worry about all that crap, I just pretty much race when I want to and just make sure that i'm having fun when I do decide to go out and race for the day.
"Fun" means different things to different people. Some guys love wrenching on the cars, but not driving them. Some people simply enjoy being on a track with other people running. Others have fun when they have a very close race with others. The sport means different things to everyone involved. Intelligent choices in rules will help keep the sport going, but in the end, the people who really dive into this do it because they love to race.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #80
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkarTisu View Post
love to race.
If you show up to race it will be fun every week.

If you show up to win.???????????? It will only be fun every once and a while.

I'm in it for racing.

Read my user name.

LOVE to race.

GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH.!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #81
Tech Initiate

I think the hobby is cyclic, not necessary going away.
People come and go, and so on and so forth.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #82
Tech Initiate

That was my first post in 4 years! Where has the time gone??
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #83
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb View Post

What funny is that there are guys like Craps on this website who are pushing his Lipo Pro truck class saying that its the future and that it will save the hobby and such. I hardly think a class that requires a near $250 brushless system and $140 battery just to make finish a 20 minute main event (only about half the racers finish the whole 20 minutes) is going to save the hobby. Thats $390 without a truck or anything else, I can buy a whole RTR setup for a newb for less than that! People like Craps (there are hundreds like him on this forum alone) are merely an experienced racer pushing his personal agenda under the misconception that its in the best intrest for the hobby.
I do not wish to involve myself in the squabble between you and Craps but I am a new racer, 4 months maybe, and as you can see in my signature I have all brushless equipment. I also have LiPo batteries. I do have nimh packs as well though. I have one brushed motor left, but I find myself in need of another for a race coming up this month.

my point is, I may be an anomoly, but I shelled out the money I did not only to be more "competitive" but for the ease of the system. I can charge batteries the night before, or hell, the week before, and show up 10 minutes before the race starts and I am ready to roll. now maybe not everyone can afford to do what I did, but I am no Rockafeller so I think there are more out there that could.

I dont know one way or another about whether the sport is dying or thriving. all I do know is that in the 4 months I have been doing it I have seen many new faces that joined the sport after me that keep coming back week after week. some of them live in my house even, my wife, 2 daughters, and 2 sons are all racing now as well.

I hope that first part came out right. really not trying to stir the pot with you or pick a fight or anything. just relaying my own experience as it pertains to the newb in the sport.

Associated B4, LRP Sphere Comp, 13.5 Novak/7.5 Novak (soon to be an X6)
Associated T4, LRP Sphere Comp, 13.5 Novak/7.5 Novak (X60 when it becomes available)
X-Factory X5, Novak GTB, 7.5 Novak (soon to be and X5^2)
Sponsor: My lovely wife Debi
Sweet Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #84
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sweet Lou, You aren't an anomaly.

2 years ago, there was one Track in Wyoming (Riverton). Now there are 5 of them. (Riverton, Rock Springs, Casper, Cheyenne, and Sheridan).

Of those tracks, only 2 cater to electrics. Obviously, Nitro blows electric out of the water in cost. (Kits and maintenance) So money isn't normally the limiting factor in racing rc cars.

In my opinion, it most often comes down to the group of racers at the track and how they interact with new comers. Are they helpful, interacting with the new guys, helping them get going and understand how it all works? As somebody said before, or are they staring down at their batteries before each race?

Our club makes no effort to hide the cost of racing. We tell them what it takes to get started with some reasonable gear, and also make suggestions on certain pieces of equipment. Such as spend the extra $20 and goto DSS instead of Crystals or Synthesized. Get a Metal gear servo, etc.

Cya,
Paul
Tubaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #85
Tech Addict

Quote:
I wonder how many racers out there consider this a hobby? For me it is the cheapest (and safest!) form of motorsport there is.

I think the HOBBY is doing great. The proliferation of el cheapo kits out there speak volumes for the market. The SPORT probably needs some work however...
Amen
Also...
Lipo seems to be the #1 topic on this forum right now. There are at least 3 or 4 different threads going on right now. With all this chatter where are the manufacturers of these products? Unless they are remaining anonymous. In which case I say 'show yourselves!'.
Come on guys. The manufacturers don't care about the racing. They sell their product regardless. They will do what they want when they want, then you will have to go along or quit.
If it wasn't for Dave G at MRC/Academy and Coach at Associated, I'd say we aren't racing cars, we're playing with toys that we have to make do with.
I'm a track owner, so I could easily cut my own throat. But do the companies making all the money give a crap? Everybody come to my track and run what ya freakin' want
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #86
Tech Addict

Also...
'tinker and repair'=valuable lessons learned and skills acquired.
A lot of comments coming up about cost. I'm pretty sure that any organized sport a kid might get into is going to cost a lot of money. Not to mention a lot of time. But the perception there is that the kid is actually getting something out of it. So the problem is still the common belief that we're 'playing with toys'. And apparently it is held by people actually involved in the sport.
I quit racing R/C competitively in '95, and raced karts for a number of years. All the lessons I learned in R/C were directly applicable to karting. And I'm sure they would be to any other motor sport.
I believe that if people recognized R/C as a legitimate motor sport they would then realize that it is a relatively cheap and effective way to find out if their kid has what it takes, wether or not they might have the next Schumacher on their hands.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #87
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Lou View Post
I do not wish to involve myself in the squabble between you and Craps but I am a new racer, 4 months maybe, and as you can see in my signature I have all brushless equipment. I also have LiPo batteries. I do have nimh packs as well though. I have one brushed motor left, but I find myself in need of another for a race coming up this month.

my point is, I may be an anomoly, but I shelled out the money I did not only to be more "competitive" but for the ease of the system. I can charge batteries the night before, or hell, the week before, and show up 10 minutes before the race starts and I am ready to roll. now maybe not everyone can afford to do what I did, but I am no Rockafeller so I think there are more out there that could.

I dont know one way or another about whether the sport is dying or thriving. all I do know is that in the 4 months I have been doing it I have seen many new faces that joined the sport after me that keep coming back week after week. some of them live in my house even, my wife, 2 daughters, and 2 sons are all racing now as well.

I hope that first part came out right. really not trying to stir the pot with you or pick a fight or anything. just relaying my own experience as it pertains to the newb in the sport.
Good post and hopefully you are a very good example to where the hobby is heading. The new people coming in are very much attracted to li-pos and the low maintence brushless systems with long run times and you see what few old school electric guys left like Scrubb fighting to try to keep the old out of date technology that has driven so many racers from electric to the headaches of nitro and out of the hobby. People new in the hobby want lots of track time that nickel batteries and brushed motors can not give them.

At least the li-po brushless low maintence long run times are bringing gas guys back to electric for obvious reasons. Seeing it happen every week with the Pro Truck numbers growing every week here in the Carolinas since ROAR ran the class at the Nats this year and appears to becoming a ROAR class next year!

The future looks very bright for li-pos and brushless to bring back Electric Off-Road Racing!!!!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #88
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi,

This is an interesting thread. Back in the mid eighties, when I first came into contact with the hobby, I read in r/c magazines that as a collective group, rc hobby is striving to not go the way of slot cars. There were comparisons between hobby & slot cars hobby. If I recall, one of the main points was that slot cars became too focussed on racing / competition & eventually began to flounder (memories are dim, correct me if I'm wrong).

I left the hobby in 1990 but returned just 2 years ago. So much have changed. RC is an international phenomenon with organised international races. Even in Malaysia where I live now, there are national level races with keen participation from various racers in the region. In addition, the coming of RTR kits & emergence of TRAXXAS also helped to get more non racers involved in the hobby. In addition, there are other facets of rc hobby besides racing. Rock crawling, scale builds, pulling & bashing etc to name a few. The hobby has diversified. I do not think it will go the way of the DoDo any time soon.

As for racing, I don't think it is going away anytime soon too. It is the nature of people to be competitive. If there are too many classes now, then eventually, the class with the most interest will survive & continue to flourish. Right now, it seems that 1/8th scale Gas buggy is all the rage. However, I think 5 years from now, another dominant class of 1/8th scale or larger Electric buggy will emerge.

A little local perspecive - I live in a small city in Malaysia. In the years past before I returned to the hobby, I think there were a few diehards guys who bash offroad trucks & buggys. I joined them in mid 2005. By 2006, I was the only one left. However, by end of 2006, another group consisting of new faces & old timers banded together & built a make-shift track at an empty plot of land in a housing area. Since then, my place has seen 3 organised races & we're about to hold a 4th one this weekend. 1 of the races had participants from other states of the country. I myself have also participated in 2 races (my first races ever). The important point I see here is that we have fun. We're not focussed on just winning at all costs.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Malaysia
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xsxracing

you give me a million bucks the hobby want be going down i be buying everyone an rc.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:57 AM   #90
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:

yep.